How do you display and store your coins?

ECplus3

My coin collection is starting to grow now. It used to be just a small pile on the back corner of my desk -- out of reach of the kids. But now it's to the point where adding another coin to the pile causes a mini avalanche. More often than not, the coin I want to look at has fallen back behind the desk and I have to crawl under to fish out from the nest of power bars and cords.

I've thought about putting them all in an ammo can, but that would be one less ammo can I can make a cache out of. And its even less of a display than the system I have now.

I made one attempt to put them in a binder, using hockey card display pages (I saw that suggested somewhere -- don't even know if it was on these forums). After a week, I found that all but the bottom hole of the plastic three-ring binder pages had ripped from the weight of the coins. When I picked up the binder one day, all the pages flipped upside down on the last remaining hole and the coins all fell to the floor!

So, I'd like to get your suggestions on how to store and display a modest collection -- from micros to 45mm coins.

Looks like you're going to "need a bigger boat" so to speak. There was a thread in here previously with some amazing displays, but I'll have to search a bit. Personally, they're taking over all the flat surfaces of the house, so Fox has made some really nice walnut shelves just for coin display. I'll try and get a pick later.

'kay... found a few of them:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=177693&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3350609

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=169158&hl=

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

i found a new way to store my coins recently.

bought a cheap perspex topped timber tea caddy. 9 compartent ones sold for 19.95 a pair on an online site - I bought a biiger version. the compartments hold 5 or more coins up to 2 inches and those fat ones like dragon spinner easily in either their little plastic packets or a clear box with room for one displayed on the top of the pile- at the moment the display is my antique copper coiins.

Not terribly portable but compact and attractive enough to leave out. bit like this one but "picture frame" lid

new_boxes_6-cropped.jpg

searching ebay for 'medal display cabinets' brought up a lot of nice options

Edited by forthferalz

My coin collection is starting to grow now. It used to be just a small pile on the back corner of my desk -- out of reach of the kids. But now it's to the point where adding another coin to the pile causes a mini avalanche. More often than not, the coin I want to look at has fallen back behind the desk and I have to crawl under to fish out from the nest of power bars and cords.

I've thought about putting them all in an ammo can, but that would be one less ammo can I can make a cache out of. And its even less of a display than the system I have now.

I made one attempt to put them in a binder, using hockey card display pages (I saw that suggested somewhere -- don't even know if it was on these forums). After a week, I found that all but the bottom hole of the plastic three-ring binder pages had ripped from the weight of the coins. When I picked up the binder one day, all the pages flipped upside down on the last remaining hole and the coins all fell to the floor!

So, I'd like to get your suggestions on how to store and display a modest collection -- from micros to 45mm coins.

well if you look up some of the companies that make the challenge coins and such they make a few different types of coin displays. i have a small on that i bought on the base that holds about 30 a few years ago and have seen some that hold 300-400 (if you have that many) the designs are kinda simple and if you have a few tools you could make a nice one in about a day.

well if you look up some of the companies that make the challenge coins and such they make a few different types of coin displays. i have a small on that i bought on the base that holds about 30 a few years ago and have seen some that hold 300-400 (if you have that many) the designs are kinda simple and if you have a few tools you could make a nice one in about a day.

here are a couple examples of sites:

http://store.fortamerica.com/coindisplays.html

http://www.coinforce.com/challenge-coin-display-racks.htm

but if you google "challenge coin displays" you should be able to find anythign you like. once i get my shop up i might start making some.

I have changed the way I keep my coins safe about 3 times. I first started with the baseball card plastic sleeves, then moved to other various non compliant sleeves all stored in a three ring binder (with zipper)

My latest version:

I bought the hard case CD holder made by Vaultz. It has the option to lock the container (I don't lock mine but I suppose someone would find the need to do so). It is a three ringed binder basically with a hard shell. This way it protects my coins and it has a handle or a strap for carrying. (this beats the typical three ring binder that has no way of carrying it).

As for the pages, I found a coin exchange shop here in town that sells the plastic sleeves made just for coins. They are alot sturdier/thicker grade and don't tear very easily. Some pages come with the 2" slots and other pages come with the smaller slots for smaller coins. Through trial and error I found that if I can fit the coin in a cardboard coin protector and then slide that protector into the plastic sheets, the coins remained safe and secure.

The downfall of this way: the storage containers are bigger and bulkier (they're basically just big CD storage cases) so they take up more room than the average three ring binder. I don't have any complaints on the actual plastic coin pages as they seem durable for the moment. Using the cardboard coin protectors also helps keep the coins safe so no complaint there either.

Overall I'm pleased so far with the way I keep my coins safe. Its easy to carry, easy to display at events, and most important keeps my coins safe!

I use about half a dozen coin albums from TCP and about as many 2" binders with the heavy duty vinyl pages also from TCP. I love those binder pages as they allow the coins to fit snuggly so the top row doesn't disgorge every time you turn the page. Still, you need to be careful about keeping the right side up!

12 to a page, 10 pages to a binder... that's a modest coin container. The albums only allow for 6-9 to a page, depending on coin size, and 8 pages to an album but they take up considerably less room, stack well on shelves and have no right side to keep up.

If you like your coins loose why not try an organizer box for loose fasteners that RubberMaid makes and sold in most ACE hardware stores.

CoinStorage.jpg

I use about half a dozen coin albums from TCP and about as many 2" binders with the heavy duty vinyl pages also from TCP. I love those binder pages as they allow the coins to fit snuggly so the top row doesn't disgorge every time you turn the page. Still, you need to be careful about keeping the right side up!...

what is TCP please?

The way I store and disply my coins - I made a display board - Two pieces of plexiglass with a matt board or plastic cardboard between them with the holes cut individually for each coin - the round coins are easy to cut but the shaped coins present a bit more challenge - then I set the whole assembly on a plate display stand - that way you can take them to events to show them without risk of losing or marring them ;)

I started out like some and had them laying around the desk. Carried them in my pocket at events. That was getting to be a bit challenging. Then I came up with a biz card holder and the 3mm foam board. Worked good, till I got about half way full, now it is a bit much to carry. I was going to get some baseball card pages and try them, but after reading some, they do not sound so good. Think I may go with the TCP binders. At least one for now will do. Really wish we had a coin shop where I live.