What do you pay attention to now that you are a cacher...

What catches your eye now that you are a cacher and did not before?

I look at everything in a whole different way. Such as...

I read the names of streets looking for and interesting street name.

I notice cemeteries that were always there but I never noticed before.

All kinds of potential cache locations just seem to pop out of no where.

I read a historical marker and now because of it I placed a cache in memory of the man who invented wireless communication. It's a Wireless World GC150TX It starts at the historical marker, takes you to a museum which has a lot of his stuff, a marker fro where his house was , and then to the cemetery where he was buried. If it were not for caching I would not even know the guy existed!

How about you? Tell me about how caching has open your eyes!

I'm probably not alone in this, but when I'm riding in the car with friends, I now notice and point out every park that has a cache and where it is and what kind of hide it was whenever I drive by it. I've even given directions based on where a cache is that I found with the person (usually a tagalong cacher).

Edited by Bunganator

Many more of the subtle and not so subtle details of the World around me. A couple of times I have found caches simply when I saw a spot that I thought should have a cache hidden there. :) The behavior of people who seem out of context. A lightly trodden side path. A rock in a strange place. The list could be endless.

I view sale items at the store in a whole new light.

I look for caches everytime I walk by hollow trees and see un-natural piles of sticks.

I notice public lands a lot more.

I take time to stop and read ALL of the little markers and signs up and down the roads anymore. Caching or not - I just spot them easier.

Cemeteries

Rock piles/stick piles

Hollow trees/trees with holes

Guardrails (never knew all the possible hiding areas.)

Lamposts (never knew you could lift up pieces)

I also watch out for other geocachers in areas where a cache is located.

Potential hiding spots. ( then think of the pros and cons)

Historical markers and information signs. (I would usually skip over these)

I started thinking like a hider. If I see something odd, out of place, or interestng, 9/10 times that is where the cache is located. If it isn't there it is very close and the owner intended for you to think the cache is located there.

This sport has really opened my eyes! :)

I'm probably not alone in this, but when I'm riding in the car with friends, I now notice and point out every park that has a cache and where it is and what kind of hide it was whenever I drive by it. I've even given directions based on where a cache is that I found with the person (usually a tagalong cacher).

No, you are not alone in this - my brother does this ALL the time. :) I, of course, would never do this. :):D

every time im talking to someone, i always wonder if they are a cacher. since i work in a retail store, i wander every once in a while into the tupperware aisle, just to check what we got. every where i go, im always wondering if there is a cache nearby

To add to that when talking to another cacher and referencing an area.. instead of street names or street directions, it is much easier to say "out by (fill in the name) cache."