Plate techtonics

Sorry if this has been brought up before but I got thinking while chatting with a friend the other day...

How long before a published coordinate is seriously compromised by the shifting of the continental plates on the earth's surface?

I'm sure that this is a thought experiment rather than a practical issue - but plates do shift and over the millennia and various parts of the UK have been in very different locations on the globe in the past - and not necessarily at the same time either!

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

Looks like someone has taken time to do a presentation on this very issue.

http://www.naref.org/transf/nad83_hydroscan2006.pdf

Quick and dirty.

NAD83 seems to be tied to the ground.

WGS84 is tied to a speroid that's independant of the ground.

It would appear that it would take an earthquake to make much of a difference. California when it has the "big one" for example. Plate techtonics is too slow otherwise.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The UK is on the Eurasian plate, which is (If I recall correctly) moving south-east at a rate of about 1 cm per year. This is about the speed at which your fingernails grow.

It was 7 years ago when I did that training course, and I didn't look it up, so I might not be 100% on the exact direction and rate.

There are three types of plate boundary; divergent, such as the boundary along the middle of the Atlantic, where the plates are moving apart (and new crust is being formed at the boundary);convergent, such as where the Indian plate has bashed into the Eurasian plate causing a few folds (the Himilayas) and transform, where the plates are moving laterally to one another, for example along the San Andreas fault in California. The rate of movement is very very slow, apart from where friction causes the plates to stick, and then the pressure builds up until they slip and move very rapidly indeed (ie an earthquake).

I don't think you can get away with using this as an excuse for a DNF, unless of course the cache falls into a large crack caused by an earthquake, or is suddenly thrust up onto the top of new island formed by a volcano (but if this is a very remote island, Simply Paul will have an event there presently!).

The UK is on the Eurasian plate, which is (If I recall correctly) moving south-east at a rate of about 1 cm per year. This is about the speed at which your fingernails grow.

It was 7 years ago when I did that training course, and I didn't look it up, so I might not be 100% on the exact direction and rate.

I've got the same figure and analogy somewhere, but I'm sure my fingernails grow more than 1 cm a year.

But assume the 1 cm/year figure is about right. = 1 m in 100 years. The best I ever get is about 10m 'accuracy' on my GPS. So about 1000 years before plate drift moves a point outside the 'circle of uncertainty'.

So is this a serious project, or just caching without the McTrash

geodrift :o

I bumped into this one today while looking for something else

Anyone know of any background?

I thought it is an easy, interesting and worthwhile add-on to some of my caches that are in good GPS reception areas

A couple of Trigs around Warwick/Leamington have a small (35mm film tub) cache placed near them and a link to the geodrift site