Looking for first coin

dvogelgesang

Hello,

I'm new to Geocaching/coings, and I'm looking for a somewhat generic, trackable geocoin to use for "dipping". I'm thinking of something with the geocaching.com or Groundspeak logos on it. Where might I find a coin like this? Does Groundspeak ever put out their own geocoins?

Thanks!

:)

Hello,

I'm new to Geocaching/coings, and I'm looking for a somewhat generic, trackable geocoin to use for "dipping". I'm thinking of something with the geocaching.com or Groundspeak logos on it. Where might I find a coin like this? Does Groundspeak ever put out their own geocoins?

Thanks!

:)

If you are looking for something generic you can't beat the good ol' USA Geocoin

2k1v2.jpg

USA Geocoins

My first coins were an earlier version of this coin. But there are so many non generic coins to choose from! You will soon find that one is just not enough... :huh:

CF30

A lot of coins have the Geocaching logo on the back side. Mostly older ones.... ie. 2+years old. CRAKE is one who still does it but his mint runs are limited vs. the mint runs for the USAGeocoin that is always available.

I'd suggest (take the free advise for what it's worth....$0) you find a coin you really really like to turn into your dipping and travelling companion.

The Geocoin Home Page off the TRACKABLE ITEMS tab has links to all the approved coin makers and sellers.

I use a cache counter coin for this purpose. It is a two-part coin, and the inner part "counts" your cache finds ;) No limited coin or something unique, but the perfect coin for this purpose :) It has the geocaching-logo on it, and has glow-in-the-dark-parts, too!

My cache counter coin (This was the very first geocoin that I bought, too!)

Of course you can use any coin you like for this purpose! :huh:

Edited by Steinwälzer

I use a cache counter coin for this purpose. It is a two-part coin, and the inner part "counts" your cache finds ;) No limited coin or something unique, but the perfect coin for this purpose :)

My cache counter coin

Of course you can use any coin you like for this purpose! :huh:

I've been eying these on ebay. But I'm leary of buying a coin that is available elsewhere at cost. Does anyone know who minted these and whether or not they are sold out? They are pretty cool.

Thanks for all the good advice! I like the look of the USA coin, but I'll take a look around the other sites linked from geocaching.com as well. Maybe I'll check eBay as a last resort :huh: . I'm hoping to stay away from catching the geocoin bug - from what I've read here, it can get expensive real fast! Don't think I could justify that to the wife just yet. :)

Thanks for all the good advice! I like the look of the USA coin, but I'll take a look around the other sites linked from geocaching.com as well. Maybe I'll check eBay as a last resort :huh: . I'm hoping to stay away from catching the geocoin bug - from what I've read here, it can get expensive real fast! Don't think I could justify that to the wife just yet. ;)

Get your wife addicted too, then there will be no troubles. :)

And yes beware the bug hits hard and likes to burn holes in your wallet :)

Thanks for all the good advice! I like the look of the USA coin, but I'll take a look around the other sites linked from geocaching.com as well. Maybe I'll check eBay as a last resort :huh: . I'm hoping to stay away from catching the geocoin bug - from what I've read here, it can get expensive real fast! Don't think I could justify that to the wife just yet. :)

Good luck in your quest.....grab your coin or two then RUN FAST!!!!!

or you will be one of us..... the addicted!!!!!!!!

LOL! ;)