Is THIS a BAD cache idea?

MARKIEB

Thinking of creating a cache to put out in the woods, in the forums I've read of people using fake snakes and other animals and a few people using fake foots or hands. so looking around ebay I found this

HEADshot.jpg

I'm thinking of placing a container inside the bottom of the neck and placing it in the middle of some palmetto bushes!! I would like some feedback on is this too graphic a surprise and what should I add to the description to encourage people NOT TO CACHE THIS ONE WITH CHILDREN!! Let me know :huh:

My three year old happened to be looking over my shoulder while I was reading this post. Her only comment was "Eeeww, I wouldn't want to eat it!" It didn't scare her by looking at the picture, but I sure wouldn't want to run across it in the woods while caching with her! Too much to explain! I would hate for a muggle to find it and freak out once again causing all sorts of questions and problems for cache hiders everywhere.

As for finding it when she isn't with me... it seems like there are more creative and less graphic ways to be memorable. IMHO, of course.

Thinking of creating a cache to put out in the woods, in the forums I've read of people using fake snakes and other animals and a few people using fake foots or hands. so looking around ebay I found this

HEADshot.jpg

I'm thinking of placing a container inside the bottom of the neck and placing it in the middle of some palmetto bushes!! I would like some feedback on is this too graphic a surprise and what should I add to the description to encourage people NOT TO CACHE THIS ONE WITH CHILDREN!! Let me know :huh:

Nope, it's not too graphic. Probably not even for children.

Briansnat's probably right about it getting stolen, though.

HEADshot.jpg

I'm thinking of placing a container inside the bottom of the neck and placing it in the middle of some palmetto bushes!! I would like some feedback on is this too graphic a surprise and what should I add to the description to encourage people NOT TO CACHE THIS ONE WITH CHILDREN!! Let me know :)

well sometimes little kids won't even care. But then some adults would get amazingly freaked out. I think it's just fine because there aren't wet body parts of various kinds protruding from a bloody mess. So go ahead have some fun with you caches! :huh:

Just wondering why you would place a cache like this?

Why do people jump out from behind things and say BOO!, Why do people ride rollercoasters ? The reason I ask is my sense of humor may not be in line with most geocachers (or maybe it is!) I know not everyone will approve or disapprove with the idea, just checking to see the consensus. I would post a note saying that it is an adult oriented cache (not XXX) and children are not encouraged to hunt this cache. I work in the land surveying field and I have run across many unusual thing during the course of my work (no dead bodies yet, but others have) so this cache would just be to give the cacher possibly a little startle. The above reply even gives me an idea to include a camera in the cache to log a photo also!

I personally don't see anything wrong with it and nor do my children, who just laughed at it (ages 6 and 8). It just looks like a halloween prop. So my guess is no one will be startled by it unless they are caching at night.....

I asked my children "if you were out caching would that scare you" and my daughter is saying "naaaaaahhhhhhh- why don't they put the cache in its eye then you can cut its eye out. Nah, I wouldn't be scared - I'm not scared. Not afraid of that."

And both agree it doesn't even look real and she said "it'd be good for a halloweeny parade"

*shrugs*

Maybe my kids are strange... just like me *laughs*

Thinking of creating a cache to put out in the woods, in the forums I've read of people using fake snakes and other animals and a few people using fake foots or hands. so looking around ebay I found this[/size]

HEADshot.jpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. If you want, you could always put in the description something that gives a brief warning to anyone who may find it offensive. Who knows, such a "description" or "warning" would probably ATTRACT people to the cache. Since many people enjoy scary movies, you could make a theme out of the cache. :)

Thinking of creating a cache to put out in the woods, in the forums I've read of people using fake snakes and other animals and a few people using fake foots or hands. so looking around ebay I found this[/size]

HEADshot.jpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. If you want, you could always put in the description something that gives a brief warning to anyone who may find it offensive. Who knows, such a "description" or "warning" would probably ATTRACT people to the cache. Since many people enjoy scary movies, you could make a theme out of the cache. :)

Get lots of body parts and call it "find bob" LOL

I found a cache that was in a plastic snake under a piece of wood, I thought that was funny. A group of cachers near me placed a night cache for halloween and on halloween night when the cache became active they waited in the woods with masks and chainsaws to scare cachers after the FTF!

I like the idea of finding all the body parts, perhaps a series of caches or a multi with the final cache in the head.

I'd recommend hiding the container under twigs/leaves etc so it can't be seen by muggles, if it does get spotted you know it'll attract attention!

I'd also recommend not posting in such a large font, it's like shouting on the internet! :huh:

Her only comment was "Eeeww, I wouldn't want to eat it!"

Who said anything about EATING it?

Here in Tulsa we have had so many cache sites be areas that are being explored for missing teens that I wouldn't think it would be a good idea.

There's something about Tulsa.....

HEADshot.jpg

I'm thinking of placing a container inside the bottom of the neck and placing it in the middle of some palmetto bushes!! I would like some feedback on is this too graphic a surprise and what should I add to the description to encourage people NOT TO CACHE THIS ONE WITH CHILDREN!! Let me know :anibad:

In a small community park it would probably disappear quickly. If the terrain was a solid 4.5 it could last for a while and become a legend.

My suggestion: Poke 2 holes in it. One at the top of the skull, and another at the bottom of the neck. Next, thread a chain through the center and lock one end of the chain to a fixed object and the other end to an ammo box. If you can find a large prexisting hole or small tunnel somewhere, even better. They will find the end of the chain and expect a cache at the other end of it, but.....

It won't stop anyone who is determined to get it, but will prevent spur-of-the-moment mischief. I know of a cache like that, somewhere... :)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

There is one just outside of Louisville like that. A manikin head with a hockey mask on it and the cache container in the neck part hidden in a tree in a not so secluded area. I won't say what cache it is because the owner states in the description to not give it away, but if anyone would like to see pictures I can email them to you. But so far it has gotten nothing but positive responses.

I think this one is a cool idea,just like you said post it not to bring children,my daughter-8 yrs old would like it but we also hid a "spook and scary" cache that she named and it's full of body parts and halloween

items! Don't put it in an obvious place for mugglers:( Doesn't matter what you do there's always a critique

out there to ruin it for the fun ones like us! :unsure: