Caching with an artificial hip

I had my hip replaced 21 years ago and have no complaints. I have cached some pretty tough terrain with it, although I am not quite as agile as I before; and there are a few caches I won't do be cause of that.

However, there is certainly a lot of caches I could not of completed if I had not had the hip replacement, not to mention basic quality-of-life activities. I can honestly say, that without the hip replacement, I probably would not of started geocaching; or even developed an interest in it because of restrictions caused by the damaged hip.

Edited by SharpShin'

Post #26 (woodja look at that number! :laughing: )

As far as the oddest thing I've found during a cache hunt, it was the ball portion of a titanium hip implant. I'm trying to figure out a way to turn it into a travel bug, but there is no way to attach the tag.

Maybe Brian can help you out...

I had my hip replaced on 15 Dec. '06. It is without a doubt the best gift I've ever given myself. No running or jumping ever again, but caching has been just perfect for me. Plenty of walking through different terrain (now PAINLESS!) and being able to concentrate on the scenery, flora, fauna, sounds and smells instead of worrying about how much farther it might be, can I get down this hill and still get back up, blah, blah blah...I'm sure you can add your own list of distracting worries and irritations.

Press forward, get a great surgeon, follow the instructions and restrictions to the letter and anticipate that your life will be all yours once again. ...unless you were a pro basketball player or volleyball olympian!

Post #26 (woodja look at that number! :( )

As far as the oddest thing I've found during a cache hunt, it was the ball portion of a titanium hip implant. I'm trying to figure out a way to turn it into a travel bug, but there is no way to attach the tag.

Maybe Brian can help you out...

Not anymore. I turned it into a TB and it went missing. Hmmmm, I have to check and see if the OP found the cache it was in. Perhaps he was trying to save a few bucks on the surgery.

Next month I am getting my right hip replaced. I am wondering if any other cachers out there have an artificial hip and how it effects caching.

Blew out my right hip in a racquetball accident about five years ago. I reached a point last year where I had days that I couldn't walk. I had given up racquetball, jogging, hiking, cross-country skiing and pretty much anything that required walking - even w/ a hiking stick. In June I had hip resurfacing w/ Dr Gross in Columbia, SC (I live in OH). Hip resurfacing is rather new in the US - but has been performed for years overseas. He was involved in the clinical trials and had performed over 1200, while most surgeons had done about 20. Resurfacing allows you to keep all of your bone - you get a new metal ball and socket.

Nine months later and I'm totally pain free. (Actually, I never had to take a single pain pill after the surgery). I was walking two miles w/ a hiking stick within four weeks, hiking five miles within two months. Now I'm back to cross-country skiing, about to beging playing racquetball again and can't believe it! While hip replacement is a great thing for many - check out resurfacing if you want to remain very active.