Purchasing tracking #s

Joyful April

I am ordering geocoins from a supplier which doesn't manage tracking numbers. :ph34r:

I've been looking in the forums and the FAQs but I can't figure out where to buy a lot of tracking numbers. :ph34r:

I know the answer is somewhere out there but I haven't found it. I hope it isn't somewhere really obvious and I missed it. That would be embarrassing! :)

Contact Groundspeak - thats the only place to get em! And... make sure your supplier understands the process!

If they don't Id seek a new supplier - it's important to get it right! :)

Does the "don't id" mean they won't engrave the tracking ID on the coin?

My supplier will do it so I think I am ok.

Normally the vendor you work with purchases a 'block' of tracking numbers from Groundspeak.

The first thing you should do is check the pinned thread above and make sure you are familiar with how the geocoin making process works and that you and your vendor (in case they are not on the vendor list and unfamiliar with the geocoin process) are following the process properly or it could end up being a very expensive venture.

In order for you to order the tracking numbers, you'll need to contact Bryan at Groundspeak. You can find that information above also.

The 'mint' should be putting your tracking numbers on the coins and your vendor should be passing along the tracking numbers to the mint in order to do so.

Good Luck with your coins.

Contact Groundspeak - thats the only place to get em! And... make sure your supplier understands the process!

I believe he meant "If they don't, I'd seek a new supplier". Commas and apostrophes are important. :ph34r:

If they don't Id seek a new supplier - it's important to get it right! :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure CB means... "If they don't, I'd seek a new supplier". Darned apostrophe's and capitalization!

I'm guessing you're dealing with a company that doesn't specialize in geocoins so they don't have the relationship in place with Groundspeak. They want you to acquire the tracking numbers and provide them in a file ready to send to the mint. You will need to 'prepare' the file that you get from Groundspeak so that you only send the column of data that they need in an XL format. It's not a big job but it's just one of those steps that needs to be done. Also, this makes me wonder about the icon (if you're buying one).... If the company isn't designing it and sending it to Bryan, then you need to send the icon in two sizes 32x32 pixels and 16x16 pixels to him for it to be uploaded. His name is Bryan and you already been given contact info.

Most companies that produce geocoins provide all this as part of the service they offer.

Let me know if you want help preparing the XL file for the mint from the 'raw' file that Bryan sends you. Gratis :)

Don't forget the read the pinned threads to the Geocoin forums. Info like the minimum number of tracking#s you need for a generic icon or how many you need for a custom icon may be relevant.

Since your vendour/coin maker is not familiar with the technicalities for making geocoins trackable and such it's up to you to be informed to ensure a good outcome.

Good luck with your coin.

I'm pretty sure CB means... "If they don't, I'd seek a new supplier". Darned apostrophe's and capitalization!

I'm guessing you're dealing with a company that doesn't specialize in geocoins so they don't have the relationship in place with Groundspeak. They want you to acquire the tracking numbers and provide them in a file ready to send to the mint. You will need to 'prepare' the file that you get from Groundspeak so that you only send the column of data that they need in an XL format. It's not a big job but it's just one of those steps that needs to be done. Also, this makes me wonder about the icon (if you're buying one).... If the company isn't designing it and sending it to Bryan, then you need to send the icon in two sizes 32x32 pixels and 16x16 pixels to him for it to be uploaded. His name is Bryan and you already been given contact info.

Most companies that produce geocoins provide all this as part of the service they offer.

Let me know if you want help preparing the XL file for the mint from the 'raw' file that Bryan sends you. Gratis :ph34r:

Thank you for the info. The subject is growing clearer.

I haven't been able to find the area to purchase tracking IDs on the Groundspeak site. I emailed them but I haven't heard back yet.

I haven't been able to find the area to purchase tracking IDs on the Groundspeak site. I emailed them but I haven't heard back yet.

Before you can get tracking numbers, you need to submit your design to Groundspeak and they need to approve it. Once that is done, you'll pay for the tracking numbers ($1.50 each) and receive a file with the tracking numbers and the activation codes. You'll give the tracking numbers to your minter.

That's why it's so nice to go with a minter that does all that for you. ;)

--Marky

There is another thread that someone posted where they had used a mint that is not one of the approved vendors, and that person found out the mint had sold copies of their coin, with a duplicate tracking number and it showed up on ebay, so please make sure you are using a reputable mint that knows the importance of tracking numbers and why they should never be duplicated. Luckily, after the person whose coin it was communicated with him, the ebay seller understood and removed the listing.