Help, advice, help and advice needed by newcomer!?

I have completed my first two geocaches using my sat nav to get me close and then resorted to searching and had to deliberately choose easy cache's with nice clues. What GPS system should I buy as I have limited budget (any tips on where to get used ones or anything in the UK)?

I am keen to hide my own cache's but need to know a bit before I begin - How do I get hold of official sticker things to put on my box? What are and how do I get geocoins as that sounds interesting? And generally again - any advice or help to get me started would be appreciated?

I basically need help and advice on anything and everything as am fascinated by the whole thing. Great excuse to take dog out and or kids and get some excercise too! If you could imagine your talking to a small child who has close to no knowledge of GPS and systems I really would be greatfull for any help getting started. :laughing:

Hi there and welcome to Geocaching, I hope you enjoy the sport as much as many people here already do.

As for getting started my best advice is to look at the top of the list of topics where you will see Multiple Pinned Topics This contains a load of useful information including a section specifically aimed at newcomers. Once you've digested all that, if you still have questions please feel free to ask any questions. :laughing:

I have completed my first two geocaches using my sat nav to get me close and then resorted to searching and had to deliberately choose easy cache's with nice clues. What GPS system should I buy as I have limited budget (any tips on where to get used ones or anything in the UK)?

I am keen to hide my own cache's but need to know a bit before I begin - How do I get hold of official sticker things to put on my box? What are and how do I get geocoins as that sounds interesting? And generally again - any advice or help to get me started would be appreciated?

I basically need help and advice on anything and everything as am fascinated by the whole thing. Great excuse to take dog out and or kids and get some excercise too! If you could imagine your talking to a small child who has close to no knowledge of GPS and systems I really would be greatfull for any help getting started. :laughing:

Hi Garry and Janine. I am, a relative newcomer too, we have been geocaching for over a year now but still got a few things to learn. But i will help you as far as i can.

First......GPS....Well there is a lot to choose from and most use a GPS made by Garmin. Although there are a few other makes around. I use the Garmin Legend which cost me £89.00 with UK maps installed. I havent found any faults with this model but the CX series cost a little more and have a faster chip installed, and they have colour screens.They also have a larger memory. But its all down to cost.

Dont know about the official sticker things as i print my own stickers etc.

I also dont do geocoins.

If you ask for help it might be a good idea to put your general location in here so that those Geocachers that are close to you can possible take you and yours under their wing for a while to help you get 'acclimatised'.

I am near to Kings Lynn in Norfolk.

Best Regards........John & Ann

First off, if your Sat Nav is on a Pocket PC, all you'll need is to get some software. Personally I use Geoscout, but there's loads of others available. If its a standalone TomTom or similar then you'll need a handheld GPS. the Garmin E-trex is about the cheapest at around £50 on ebay - they're sometimes available for that kind of price on the high street too. The latest base model is the Etrex-H, which reportedly are better under tree cover.

Remember that the GPS is only nominally accurate to 10s of feet, though I tend to get within 2-3 feet most of the time, by which time the search area is narrowed a lot. Not so good under tree cover though.

As for stickers & coins, UKgeocachers has been reliable for me. You don't have to use an 'official' sticker on your box though.

The 'Getting Started' bit on the geocaching website is a useful place to start.

And most importantly, have fun!

if you could imagine your talking to a small child who has close to no knowledge of GPS and systems..........

That describes most of the people on this forum :laughing::D:P

Welcome......

1. Go to and read the links that Lactodorum and Guanajuato have posted

2. Like everything else you get what you pay for when you buy a GPS. Don't rush out and buy the cheapest to find it doesn't work in woodland where most caches are hidden and then spend more to buy a better one

3. Find a few caches first to get some experience of what makes a good cache before you hide one

4. You don't need an offical sticker for a cache! I print my own the same as Red Squadron. As long as the cache is identified as a geocache is harmless and has some contact info that's all you need

5. Travel Bugs and Geocoins can be bought from a number of places but read up on TB's and coins first so you understand what's going on with them.

6. Once you're really hooked become a premium member, you'll see a lot more caches available to you.

Good hunting

TLHM

Welcome :laughing:

There are many aspects to this Geocaching game but just take it slowly and you'll gradually absorb it all.

(And then you will be forever doomed to wandering, in all weathers, following the little arrow...)

This Forum is full of useful information and generally helpful people. If you would appreciate some back-up from a cacher in your own local area then try a request on this "Adopt a Newbie" thread. There may be someone close by who can meet up with you sometime.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

...forever doomed to wandering, in all weathers, following the little arrow...

lol

hi from another complete noob

I would recommend just getting out there and finding lots of caches, and read these forums. I have learnt a ton in the few weeks I have been playing, just from participating in the hunt and the community.

As for a GPS, I have quite a pricey one because I wanted additional features, but for Geocaching alone most people I know recommend the yellow Garmin which I believe you can get hold of for £65 or so.

have fun!!!!!

We've done almost 3 years with an 'old chip set' Yellow Etrex. Works fine for us, although I'll admit it can get confused in heavy tree cover or in the presence of tall buildings. But then that is part of the fun, actually using some brainpower to triangulate onto the coordinates rather than walk right there.

Now we are living in the US for a while I might relent and get a better model to come home with, but at the moment I couldn't warrant the expense of the Colorado, even after having seen the Garmin sales pitch recently.

A big welcome to this activity and these pages. :anicute:

Another great way to learn everything you need to know about caching is to go along to an event cache, you'll get to meet and talk to other local cachers and will be able to ask questions. Geocachers are a friendly bunch. :)

It's also recommended that new cachers find at least 10 caches before setting their own, this way you have a better idea of what makes a good geocache.

Have fun! :blink: