Cry baby cachers

I havent been caching very long and we have around 50 finds and have hidden a few easy ones. I decided to

hide one that was a little more difficult i drilled a hole in a log and put one of those black nano caches in the log.

You really had to look at the log to see it, the log was small enough that you could pick it up. My cords were good the first people that went to find it couldn't and were all mad and complaining i couldnt believe they were having so much trouble. These guys are the ones that run out when the new caches come out so they can be FTF. One of the guys that was complaining in the log so i deleted it because i dont want people reading it and then wont go look for my cache. I have been to some hard ones that i still cant find but i dont cry and whine like a little baby i just keep looking. Has anyone else encountered any cry babies?

I think you will find that people have very low opinions of micro caches in the woods in general. A hide like this will probably generate an even lower opinion. Calling fellow community members "cry babies" when they cannot find a cache hidden in this manner probably isn't going to make you very popular either.

I think you will find that people have very low opinions of micro caches in the woods in general. A hide like this will probably generate an even lower opinion. Calling fellow community members "cry babies" when they cannot find a cache hidden in this manner probably isn't going to make you very popular either.

I called them cry babies because of all of the complaining not because they couldnt find the cache.

I drilled a hole in a log so whats the problem with that? 10 times better hiding a cache at a light pole for

the 10,000 time.

I drilled a hole in a log so whats the problem with that?

Depending on whether it was your log, or one on the site, it could be a guideline violation.

As far as complaining about the difficulty, if you rated the cache properly, they have no reason to complain.

Many people don't enjoy needle in the haystack hides, but if they see a 3 or 4 star difficulty I'm not sure what they are expecting.

You asked for opinions. You got one. I am sorry that you don't like it. Now, maybe, you might see how people looking for your cache feel about being called "cry babies". By posting in this manner in these forums, you are probably going to get a good bit of negative reactions. You should probably be prepared to take it, which is basically what you are telling people that are looking for your cache.

One of the guys that was complaining in the log so i deleted it because i dont want people reading it and then wont go look for my cache.

Then going so far as posting this "gem of a log" on the cache page:

March 8 by GeorgenHeather (54 found)

Sorry you guys are having a hard time i just tried to put something out that was different. I didnt think it was that hard next time i do a hide like this i will include diapers

for all the cry babies. :)

Suppressing the logs of other cachers, and then insulting them with stupid remarks will certainly lead to the reduction of finders for your caches. Combine that with a low popularity score, and your cache popularity can't get any worse.

Edited by Kit Fox
I drilled a hole in a log so whats the problem with that?

Depending on whether it was your log, or one on the site, it could be a guideline violation.

Yeah, I was concerned about that one too. I was going to let someone else say it.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Edited to add one thing... if you find a log in your backyard and want to drill a hole in it and stick a nano cache in it in the woods, that is perfectly fine. If you carry a drill with you and pull off on the side of the road and drill a hole in a log, that is not.

Edited by mtn-man
Has anyone else encountered any cry babies?

Yes. Welcome to the forums. If you're not happy listening to people complain about the way other people enjoy playing, you probably won't like it here very much. :)

If you want to hide really hard to find caches, go for it. Just realize that they're not going to get found very often and a lot of other people will get upset about it. As long as you're okay with both of those then you'll have fun. And as BrianSnat said, rate them properly in the difficulty rating.

Personally I commend you for trying to make something new and exciting. Making a cache extremely small and placing it in the woods is one way to make it hard to find, another is to use creative camouflage on a regular size cache.

My opinion on this subject... and not here to judge.

If you have room in the woods to hide a regular cache do so. Micros or nanos (in my opinion) should be kept for urban areas or areas that are neat but no good places to hide a regular cache.

Next don't call people names etc on your cache page. No one likes it. This game should be fun

Team Gingerbread

Why would you hide a nano in the woods? Are you too cheap to buy or build a decent container?

Again with the name calling? Do things my way or you are cheap?

Folks like different things!

I have one like this, a nano drilled into a piece of driftwood I brought back from Belize.

However, recognizing that many don't like micros in the woods I named it Rambler's Evil Micro

and put this text at the top of the description:

Easily accessed micro in the woods on fairly level terrain, 60' from parking. *Not in the cemetery!*

As the name implies, this is likely to be the meanest micro TheAlabamaRambler puts out; although I just love finding these little buggers!

That makes it clear what folks are hunting and gives them the choice to ignore it.

I also include my phone number in the description and tell folks to call for a hint rather than DNF it - almost half of the finders have had to call!

103 Finds, 25 DNFs since 12/24/2004 with no complaints, so somebody likes them!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I say some cachers ARE crybabies - just read these forums for awhile. So be it. Sounds like you made a challenging hide and may have foiled some of the FTF freaks. Make sure the difficulty rating is appropriate for the challenge, though.

Also I am sure the cache has nothing to do with being 'too cheap to build or buy a decent container' There are micros in woods all over the place, why bust Georgenheather's chops for making another?

Why would you hide a nano in the woods? Are you too cheap to buy or build a decent container?

That what I was going to say, I will say it anyway, like I have many times in the past

"Cachers hide micros and Nonos in the would becuase they are Too cheap to hide a full size cache"

I will add-"They also do not have the ability or the skill to use camo to hide a cache"

As far as the OP. Who is the cry baby, could it be the person that comes to the forums to compain about a few logs on his cache?

"Cachers hide micros and Nonos in the would becuase they are Too cheap to hide a full size cache"

I think its more a lack of imagination. Anybody can hide a nano in the woods and make it hard to find. Wanna impress people, hide an ammo box and make it hard to find.

I don't have nearly as many caches as you folks do but part of putting out caches is that you are dealing with the public. Most of them are pretty mellow, classy people of the first magnitude but a few will complain when they can't find a cache and blame the owner. Complaints are the tax you pay on trying to provide fun for other people so don't let it make you bitter. This is an example of looking a gift horse in the mouth and it shows a lack of maturity. Sometimes people with many thousands of finds complain about not finding a cache. What's one little cache more or less to them or anyone else for that matter? Besides, no one is holding a gun to their heads and making them look for your caches. Complaining and blaming is what people do when they don't want to look for solutions. Now about my problems....

I think its more a lack of imagination. Anybody can hide a nano in the woods and make it hard to find. Wanna impress people, hide an ammo box and make it hard to find.

Or you could take them to a cool place and make it easy to find. To me that is even better.

I called them cry babies because of all of the complaining not because they couldnt find the cache.

I drilled a hole in a log so whats the problem with that? 10 times better hiding a cache at a light pole for

the 10,000 time.

Interesting, you post a nasty log calling people cry babies.

But you also deleted the logs you did not like.

As such, your note on the cache page appears to be less than intelligent because in just does not make any sense

Non of the post the remain say anything negative about the cache, It looks like you ara complaining about the cachers the enjoyed the cache. link to the cache

These are the two logs that remain on the cache page below your little rant log That log makes you look really bad You may not want to attend any events in the area

March 8 by BULL&4X4 (53 found)

OUT WHIT RNTP/CJSB TO DO A LITTLE CACHE STOP IN AT GILLIS T. NICE PARK AND GRAB THANKS G/H.

[view this log on a separate page]

March 1 by dozer&thedirtclods (6146 found)

Cache #6145

YEA ANOTHER FTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT WAY TO LEAVE and head to TENNEESSEE

I decided to go grab a few caches up north today before I leave heading back to Tennessee. I went and picked up Taracp to do a little caching

good Coords, good coords, Good coords!!!!!

FOLLOW YOU GPS .........

THE TERRIAN IS RIGHT and DIFFICULTY IS RIGHT

AWESOME CACHE !!!!

signed NEW CLEAN LOG !!!!!! 2:25pm

Thanks for the adventure, cache and smiley

MommaDirtClod-MDC

SweetH20,TN

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The important thing to remember is how diverse geocachers are. No matter what you do, not everybody is going to like your caches. What I do is go after the caches that sound fun to me, and hide caches I think other people will enjoy finding. And if they don't, they don't. Nobody dies, the world doesn't end, and they move on to their next hunt. In other words, don't sweat the small stuff.

Seems to me that you stepped over the line by posting your own rude comment on your log page. Keep in mind that log pages are not meant for rude comments or debates. I would suggest getting rid of your needless comment about diapers and crybabies. :)

It was my log from my property that i placed so there was no violation. The complaints i got were done by email and were out of line that why there not in the log. The one that was complaining in the log got deleted.

I like the message i posted on the log if they dont like it too bad.

Sounds like i need to pass out some diapers on this thread. Looks like we have a lot of "i am better than you cachers". Some of you are real funny, i am not a cry baby just posting facts i have an opinion like everyone here and i will post it. If you think i am scared of local cachers by saying"i wouldnt go to the local meetings" you are wrong! I just post what alot of people are thinking. I put alot of thought in my caches most of the caches around here horrible but there are some good ones. I really dont care if anyone looks for my caches normally

after the FTF freaks get it they tell there buddies where its at anyway so whats the point. It will probably be a while before i hide anymore caches.

Edited by GeorgenHeather

Sounds like i need to pass out some diapers on this thread. Looks like we have a lot of "i am better than you cachers". Some of you are real funny, i am not a cry baby just posting facts i have an opinion like everyone here and i will post it. If you think i am scared of local cachers by saying"i would go to the local meetings" you are wrong! I just post what alot of people are thinking. I put alot of thought in my caches most of the caches around here horrible but there are some good ones. I really dont care if anyone looks for my caches normally

after the FTF freaks get it they tell there buddies where its at anyway so whats the point. It will probably be a while before i hide anymore caches.

I put alot of thought in my caches

This reminds of some cache I found a few weeks ago in the area of Geowoodstock VI. One of the locals had issues with some of my logs so the cacher sent me an e-mail telling me that she puts a lot of thought into her caches. - Well the caches in question were some of the worst caches I have ever found. Putting thought into a cache is one thing, putting high quality thought into a cache is another thing.

Maybe the local reviewer should look at the cache page, post nasty logs on a cache page may be a violation on the guidelines-maybe we should post SBAa

I don't have nearly as many caches as you folks do but part of putting out caches is that you are dealing with the public. Most of them are pretty mellow, classy people of the first magnitude but a few will complain when they can't find a cache and blame the owner. Complaints are the tax you pay on trying to provide fun for other people so don't let it make you bitter. This is an example of looking a gift horse in the mouth and it shows a lack of maturity. Sometimes people with many thousands of finds complain about not finding a cache. What's one little cache more or less to them or anyone else for that matter? Besides, no one is holding a gun to their heads and making them look for your caches. Complaining and blaming is what people do when they don't want to look for solutions. Now about my problems....

Well said! I think I understand the point of the OP, but would stop short of name calling. Perhaps a better way to say it would be that some are too quick to blame or overly critical of the cache owner, for their own lack of patience. While many, including me, are not fans of micros in the woods, there are some that like the challenge. The catch is a proper description and rating on the cache page so we can choose to do it or not., and I think it's safe to assume that some newbies (That's not name calling.....is it?) lack the experience to properly do that. I put out a cache a few years ago at the end of abandoned bridge which had two approaches, 1) Park within 50 yards,walk on even asphalt up to within 25 feet of cache, or 2) Park in cemetery,walk past "No Trespassing" sign, bushwhack through woods,down hill for 150 yards to cache. My listing clearly said "Do not park in cemetery", and I rated it something like 1-1, but one of the first dozen finders flamed me for it being underrated because he stumpled down hill.

I call it "blameshifting", my kid isn't a brat, he's a victim of his enviroment. Or in this case, I'm smarter than you, so since I didn't find it, you listed it wrong. One piece of advice: If you're going to hide caches or post in the forums, get thick skin.

Edited by snowfrog

Hey, i just said what i was thinking. The log that i deleted was complaining about the thorns,bugs and to many places it could be hid. This is geocaching i always get bit by bugs and stuck by thorns they need to quit complaining and get another hobby. Maybe they have a junkie gps and cant get good cords but thats not my problem. Whats funny is the guy that was complaining the most some of his caches i have done the cords were 50-60 feet off and i didnt complain about it.

Hey, i just said what i was thinking. The log that i deleted was complaining about the thorns,bugs and to many places it could be hid. This is geocaching i always get bit by bugs and stuck by thorns they need to quit complaining and get another hobby. Maybe they have a junkie gps and cant get good cords but thats not my problem. Whats funny is the guy that was complaining the most some of his caches i have done the cords were 50-60 feet off and i didnt complain about it.

you are missing the point, by having the log you did not like deleted, your note makes you look very bad, you should delete your note.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

And they were just saying what they were thinking but you don't have a think enough skin to take it so you delete their log. Your posts and actions say more about you then them.

The first rule we were taught by our mentor in geo-caching is..."there is no whining in geo-caching"

With that being said, I would like to offer some cheese to go along with all the whining in this thread as a peace offering... :)

My understanding of the game is that it takes people to locations of either interest and/or of beauty that they might ever have visited before. Even urban caches can accomplish this if they are thought out by the person placing them.

We have been caching for almost a year....have just under 200 finds and only two hides. We have lived in the Orlando area for many years, my husband grew up here...and we have discovered places that we didn't even knew existed before, that we drive by sometimes on a daily basis. How kewl is that? Yes we too, have the hides that are strictly nano's, pico's that are hidden in the parking lots of businesses and such, and those are kewl and there are some of the same in the wooded areas too.

By now your most likely wondering what's this persons' point?? :) Excuse me as I clear the cheese out of my throat...okay here it is...

It shouldn't matter what kind of a hide it is....or where it is...as long as you play the game as it was meant to be...fun. The fun being...the trip to get there, stopping to take the time to look at the surroundings to see if you can see what the hider saw that they wanted to bring you there in the first place. Not finding it should not provoke anything less than the concept of, boy this is more of a challenge than I thought it to be. Finding it should be the icing on the cake. The true concept here is it should be fun and sometimes even educational, now that's really kewl!!!!!

Like an earlier post on this thread said and I quote "don't sweat the small stuff" Life's to short as it is, let it go and have fun with it.

So you deleted a legit found it log because he complained about bugs and thorns? Wow.

And they were just saying what they were thinking but you don't have a think enough skin to take it so you delete their log. Your posts and actions say more about you then them.

Please get some grammer lessons you cant spell very well. The log i deleted was way out of line and made some false statements and was unfair.

So, let's see if I understand you correctly: You have every right to express your opinions, here and on your cache page. But no one who adds a log to your cache page has the same right to express their opinion, and you will delete the log of anyone who, in your mind, complains or disagrees with you.

Thanks for clearing that up.

--Larry

So you deleted a legit found it log because he complained about bugs and thorns? Wow.

That was one of the reasons, because it wasnt hid in any thorns the cache was probably 50 feet from any thorns

that shows you how far off he was.

So, let's see if I understand you correctly: You have every right to express your opinions, here and on your cache page. But no one who adds a log to your cache page has the same right to express their opinion, and you will delete the log of anyone who, in your mind, complains or disagrees with you.

Thanks for clearing that up.

--Larry

I didnt delete any opinions i deleted it because it made false statments that would lead someone

to think it was located in a bunch of thorns.

Please get some grammer lessons you cant spell very well. The log i deleted was way out of line and made some false statements and was unfair.

<moderator notation>

It is exceptionally rude to correct people in the forums regarding spelling, punctuation and grammar. It is also pretty bad when you do so and use incorrect grammar, incorrect punctuation and improper capitalization yourself. That is "the pot calling the kettle black." You also spelled the word "grammar" wrong, by the way.

I would encourage you to read the forum guidelines.

</moderator notation>

Edited by mtn-man

Discretion is the better part of valor. Since when is it okay to just say everything you are thinking without a filter? Adults (and hopefully you are an adult) should be able to have intelligent discussions without resorting to calling people names. Didn't we stop doing that when we were like 12 years old.

You stated that all you've done is state facts but that's inaccurate when you've called people cry babies. That's a judgment not a fact. And then you state that you are entitled to state your opinion, so you contradict yourself. An opinion is, by definition, not a statement of fact. And yes, of course, you (as well as the people who log on your cache page) are entitled to your opinion.

Most people would see nothing wrong with someone posting in their log that there were bugs and thorns. In fact, this would probably be beneficial information to the seekers who come afterward.

Maybe you should get another hobby if you can't take people "just posting facts" as you claim to be doing. Why is it okay for you to post your opinion but people who visit your cache are not afforded the same courtesy?

<moderator notation>

It is exceptionally rude to correct people in the forums regarding spelling, punctuation and grammar. It is also pretty bad when you do so and use incorrect punctuation and improper capitalization. You also spelled the word "grammar" wrong, by the way.

I would encourage you to read the forum guidelines.

</moderator notation>

Yes i did spell grammar incorrectly it was a joke. HAHA I never said anything about his punctuation only spelling. Please read my post clearly before stating things i said that i did not say.

That was one of the reasons, because it wasnt hid in any thorns the cache was probably 50 feet from any thorns

that shows you how far off he was.

There are many factors that cause coords to "be off", this is very common. The bottom line is this, you hid it and they looked for it. Their comments or tone may have offended you but ......you hid it and they got to look for it. The fluff doesn't really matter, so try to look past it. If you're too quick to delete, you'll find yourself in a cyberargument, much like now, and it won't change how you or they, feel about it.

You are classic. Didn't take long for you to go to the old grammer and spelling attack. Then there is the folding under pressure. You believe in something so strongly that when a few people disagree with you, you go back and delete what you have done. I did expect that thought after seeing the way you edit your posts.

Discretion is the better part of valor. Since when is it okay to just say everything you are thinking without a filter? Adults (and hopefully you are an adult) should be able to have intelligent discussions without resorting to calling people names. Didn't we stop doing that when we were like 12 years old.

You stated that all you've done is state facts but that's inaccurate when you've called people cry babies. That's a judgment not a fact. And then you state that you are entitled to state your opinion, so you contradict yourself. An opinion is, by definition, not a statement of fact. And yes, of course, you (as well as the people who log on your cache page) are entitled to your opinion.

Most people would see nothing wrong with someone posting in their log that there were bugs and thorns. In fact, this would probably be beneficial information to the seekers who come afterward.

Maybe you should get another hobby if you can't take people "just posting facts" as you claim to be doing. Why is it okay for you to post your opinion but people who visit your cache are not afforded the same courtesy?

Calling them cry babies is my opinion. ONE MORE TIME THERE ARE NO THORNS AROUND THIS CACHE SO SAY SO WOULD BE A FALSE STATMENT!!!!!!!!!!

Most caches are hidden by a cacher and they somehow find a way to place it so they don't get injured in the process, after all they have to maintenance it too you know. Well, at least one assumes they will.

However, I see it as someone giving their opinion as to the conditions of the hiding area. It could be that changes occurred at the GZ location such as plant growth - it could happen. Also letting others know what they might expect (saving you future complaints)

Done right it can be helpful - done wrong perhaps leads to a thread such as this.

Most times we look at the area and sometimes a different approach is less troublesome. This might mean going 50-60 feet out and around - anyone that spends a little time on trails and woods surely knows that you can't always go directly like the crow flies - we're not crows even though our GPSr's think we are.

In any case I have to side with folks that would say deletion of a legit log might not go over to well.

(perhaps a message/email sent to the logger working out an appropriate edit would serve better).

Here's a sign for your page :)

88ec1ef6-a8e8-4528-b4f1-ea6df2430102.jpg

It's another beautiful day here, IDKU but we're going cach'n see ya on the trail.

Edited by Flatouts

You are classic. Didn't take long for you to go to the old grammer and spelling attack. Then there is the folding under pressure. You believe in something so strongly that when a few people disagree with you, you go back and delete what you have done. I did expect that thought after seeing the way you edit your posts.

You got me there buddy i dont know what to say. You have really out smarted me this time. I deleted it because i know there are people on here who will report it and it will get deleted anyway.

Sounds like i need to pass out some diapers on this thread. Looks like we have a lot of "i am better than you cachers". Some of you are real funny, i am not a cry baby just posting facts i have an opinion like everyone here and i will post it. ... snip ...

What about this statement?

And you might want to look up the definitions of the words you use BEFORE you use them.

Just some friendly advice.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grammar

And be careful in that glass house you are living in.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama
Yes i did spell grammar incorrectly it was a joke. HAHA I never said anything about his punctuation only spelling. Please read my post clearly before stating things i said that i did not say.

Guess what. It wasn't funny. :)

I will quit everyone getting all mad and stuff. This cache is new so there is no new growth around it and you can walk right up to it with no problem.

Calling them cry babies is my opinion. ONE MORE TIME THERE ARE NO THORNS AROUND THIS CACHE SO SAY SO WOULD BE A FALSE STATMENT!!!!!!!!!!

The typical consumer GPSr isn't perfectly accurate, even under the best of circumstances. It will get you only within around 30 feet of the actual cache location. Even a seasoned cacher, using the best consumer GPSr available, knows he or she will probably need to look in a rather wide circle around Ground Zero before finding a cache. Assuming there are any thorns within 30 feet or so of the actual cache, those cachers' statements are not false, they're simply conveying their own experience at the cache site.

You know exactly where that cache is, people looking for your cache have no way of knowing that until they find it. I think you need to cut them some slack.

--Larry