Times Square bombing

Great, so now ammo cans are considered pipe bombs:

"Eyewitness News has learned the improvised explosive was described as a green ammunition can, and pieces of the can were recovered in the shattered gas. There was evidence that a low level explosive was used."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/06/times.square/index.html

Will we see the move away from the greatest cache container now? I really think if this information gets spread through the media, more muggles who happen along ammo cans will be calling in bomb squads.

"Eyewitness News has learned the improvised explosive was described as a green ammunition can, and pieces of the can were recovered in the shattered gas. There was evidence that a low level explosive was used."

Will we see the move away from the greatest cache container now? I really think if this information gets spread through the media, more muggles who happen along ammo cans will be calling in bomb squads.

It's always been a good idea to not use ammo cans in locations that muggles will be likely to stumble across them. I doubt that this incident will change anything, as far as geocaching is concerned.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I found this article regarding a bomb scare in Auckland, New Zealand. According to the article, security cameras caught a geocacher" strapping a package to a rail near Aotea Center; they then called in the bomb squad." There are pictures of his cache in the article here-->

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/13/geocach...ind-soul-mates/

Edited by whereissit

I am wondering if it has had any effect on the cache that is located near that location though. It was a good one and I hope it's ok. I am sure it will be impossible to access for awhile without being watched.

Hope it doesn't affect it either. We recently visited NY and that was our favorite cache, one of our favorites ever. When we were there we both commented that we found it hard to believe that the local police did not know about the cache. There were police *everywhere*.

Speaking of Crossroads of the World, its hiding location was actually shown center screen the other night near the end of the premier of New Amsterdam.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I found this article regarding a bomb scare in Auckland, New Zealand. According to the article, security cameras caught a geocacher" strapping a package to a rail near Aotea Center; they then called in the bomb squad." There are pictures of his cache in the article here-->

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/13/geocach...ind-soul-mates/

I could add tip #3 - don't put caches in/on public infrastructure.

Jim

I can't imagine that this incident would affect nearby micro caches.

Looking at the EarthCam listed on the cache page, especially the archived footage shortly after the incident, you can get an idea of how close it is to the bomb location.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that the micro cache isn't going to be viable once the initial investigation of the scene is over.

Heres another link - they describe the ammo boxes as "being easily available to the public through Army surplus stores".. hopefully it stays that way.

Apparently the bomber was riding a bicycle. I hope they remain available too. :huh: But it depends on whether the hysteria peddlers decide to focus on the bicycle or the ammo box. On the other, even after Richard Reid, they still allow us to buy shoes, so there is an occasional bright side.

Looking at the EarthCam listed on the cache page, especially the archived footage shortly after the incident, you can get an idea of how close it is to the bomb location.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that the micro cache isn't going to be viable once the initial investigation of the scene is over.

I'm not saying I think it wouldn't be viable, but I don't think its unreasonable to wonder if fiddling with stuff in the middle of Times Square like 300 ft from any sort of bombing activity isn't going to raise a few eyebrows or potentially be an issue...

I'm not saying I think it wouldn't be viable, but I don't think its unreasonable to wonder if fiddling with stuff in the middle of Times Square like 300 ft from any sort of bombing activity isn't going to raise a few eyebrows or potentially be an issue...
That's like saying 'I wonder if riding a unicycle and wearing a tie dyed pink cape in Venice, CA will raise eyebrows'.

Times Square is so active that I doubt that this will cause us to have to change our behavior.

Edited by sbell111

who sang the song - Same as it ever was, same as it ever was?

...Label your caches and put some thought into hiding them before you set them free.

The talking heads.

Back OT.

Bomb's use the materials that are commonly available. Same as they always have. When the ISP came and gave a presentation on them (I need to work out the Version 2 of this presention). They pointed this out and brought an example of a briefcase bomb.

Briefcases fell out of fashion long before they were ever a problem to carry for fear of being gang tackled by whatever good samaratin happned to be on patrol that day.

Thinking about your hides is the best advice.

That's like saying 'I wonder if riding a unicycle and wearing a tie dyed pink cape in Venice, CA will raise eyebrows'.

Times Square is so active that I doubt that this will cause us to have to change our behavior.

I don't really see thinking "I wonder if riding a unicycle and wearing a tie dyed pink cape in Venice, CA will raise eyebrows" and "I wonder if attaching a small magnetic box to something in the middle of Times Square a couple hundred ft from a recent site of bombing activity will raise eyebrows" as the same thing, especially as we raised plenty of eyebrows doing the cache, but to each his/her own.

I think we agree that we hope the great cache stays in place without issue :-)

That cache has been in place for a while now. How many bomb scares has it caused? I have every reason to believe that the citizens of the Great City of New York are not aware of the dangers of terrorist attack. If a cache in such a busy location in New York City hasn't caused any hubbub yet, I have to believe that it's because geocachers tend to be careful to retrieve and replace it discretely.

I am wondering if it has had any effect on the cache that is located near that location though. It was a good one and I hope it's ok. I am sure it will be impossible to access for awhile without being watched.

Hope it doesn't affect it either. We recently visited NY and that was our favorite cache, one of our favorites ever. When we were there we both commented that we found it hard to believe that the local police did not know about the cache. There were police *everywhere*.

Speaking of Crossroads of the World, its hiding location was actually shown center screen the other night near the end of the premier of New Amsterdam.

Yes. I noticed that on New Amsterdam. Couldn't see the cache though... :huh:

Yes. We had people walking by asking what we found, as we waited for our webcam service to get our photo.

It's far enough away from the recruitment office that it shouldn't be a problem. There are so many people, and so many weird people, in Times square that geocachers are 'normal'. There was a guitarist wearing only his boots, BVDs, and a cowboy hat when we did that cache.

I don't think there are any other caches close enough to have to worry about.

And, yes. That IS a great cache! I was sorry when the Webcam Cache was archived. This one is even better.

It's far enough away from the recruitment office that it shouldn't be a problem. There are so many people, and so many weird people, in Times square that geocachers are 'normal'. There was a guitarist wearing only his boots, BVDs, and a cowboy hat when we did that cache.

That guitarist is the infamous Naked Cowboy who is currently suing Mars/M&Ms for using his likeness without permission. He's quite an attraction all on his own!

I doubt it will have any effect on geocaching, just as a murder committed with a shotgun will have no effect on trap shooters.

Oh, really?

Have you noticed that every time someone is murdered, even if it is done with an axe or a chainsaw, the gun restriction editorials start flying?

Some effects murders have had on trap shooters already is waiting periods, restrictions on mail order, age limitations for purchase...

It's all knee-jerk. Something bad happens that no one can prevent and the do-gooders have to do something to prevent it- only NO ONE can prevent it. But the do-gooders never learn.

I think lock and locks are the wave of the future anyway.

I doubt it will have any effect on geocaching, just as a murder committed with a shotgun will have no effect on trap shooters.

Trapshooting by individuals in a place specifically for that purpose is not perceived as a threat, despite the fact that dangerous weapons are present. The problem is the "implied or perceived danger", of an unknown military looking container, in an area most would think it should not be in, or fear of the unknown. I have thought for years that the days of actual military containers are numbered. I have discussed this very thing with other cachers and some think the fear the container may provoke in non-cachers is a " common fallacy". I suppose they conducted some sort of poll and because they disagree, that means it isn't true? IMO, military containers were made for two reasons, to transport and protect munitions or supplies for later use. AMMO cans right! The general public will always be suspect of ammo cans, and they may even invite a response from authorities because they pose a perceived threat of munition/explosives. The removal or outlawing of ammo cans may not occur in the near future, but after a few cachers are publicly charged with inducing panic and forced to pay local authorities restitution, and the caching community begins to hear about it, then their use will decline for that reason.

Trapshooting by individuals in a place specifically for that purpose is not perceived as a threat, despite the fact that dangerous weapons are present. The problem is the "implied or perceived danger", of an unknown military looking container, in an area most would think it should not be in, or fear of the unknown. I have thought for years that the days of actual military containers are numbered. I have discussed this very thing with other cachers and some think the fear the container may provoke in non-cachers is a " common fallacy". I suppose they conducted some sort of poll and because they disagree, that means it isn't true? IMO, military containers were made for two reasons, to transport and protect munitions or supplies for later use. AMMO cans right! The general public will always be suspect of ammo cans, and they may even invite a response from authorities because they pose a perceived threat of munition/explosives. The removal or outlawing of ammo cans may not occur in the near future, but after a few cachers are publicly charged with inducing panic and forced to pay local authorities restitution, and the caching community begins to hear about it, then their use will decline for that reason.

I'll stop placing ammo cans when they pry my cold dead fingers from offn the handle! :laughing:

One thing that would probably help with public misconceptions about ammo can hides, would be if people removed the yellow markings from the cans before hiding them. This is very easily done with "Goof off" and a paper towel. A few swipes and the yellow is gone. (I never understand why people choose to leave these on in any case, as they draw the eye.) A geocaching label or any variety of camouflage would be good as well. :laughing:

On the morning news, I heard that this and two other recent bombings were thought to be set by a person on a bicycle. It's not known whether the bombings were otherwise connected, however. As a matter of public safety, it appears that it is time to outlaw bicycles.

Maybe just outlaw people. That would solve it. :laughing:

The guy was also reported to be wearing a hoodie. We might need to take steps to ban those.

Interseting Thread, I was wondering the same thing about ammo cans whenthe Mayor said " they can bea readily picked up at army/navy stores" I thought oh here we go all Military surplus stores are going to be picketed......Man some peeps just can't keep there mouths closed when it has nothing to do with the Bomb, I guess backpacks are next if you ride a bike and have a backpack and an ammo can you're a terrorist.

GC

There is a simple solution to this. Hide your cache so well that its hard for you to find it and you shouldn't have to worry about a muggle spotting it. Also from what i've seen ammo cans are usually placed in areas where theres really nothing to blow up, so even if someone stumbled upon it they probably wouldn't suspect it as being a bomb out in the middle of no where.

Hide your cache so well that its hard for you to find it

I've done that. <_< -even had one of mine that I thought missing found and logged.

Seriously, I have had caches muggled in places where you would swear no right minded person would ever wander except in search of the cache.

All caches are at risk of being bomb squad targets. There is no real benefit in picking or banning a particular type of container.

As far as 'clearly marked" is concerned, no one called out for a bomb report is going to trust what someone (who could very well be a terrorist for all they know) wrote on the side. Witness the blowing up of the traffic counter in Boston.

The likelihood of being found by a panicky muggle IS higher in urban settings, but it is not non-existent in the deep woods either.

Consider the possibility that there might even be a REAL booby trap near someone's little "cash crop" hidden deep in the woods on public land as is apparently VERY common. That being popular knowledge, a muggle finding a box in the woods is quite likely to report it as suspicious.

Since the fact of a cache being obviously intentionally hidden triggers suspicion regardless of the box, perhaps placing them right out in the open would be better? They would then be simply mistaken for litter and seriously left alone. :anitongue:

I'll stop placing ammo cans when they pry my cold dead fingers from offn the handle! :anitongue:

I'd be willing to bet that all that it would take would be the sound of a gavel striking home and a guy in a robe saying " The court orders you to pay $$$$$$$$ and perform ............. hours of community service.

Edited by snowfrog

Crazy, I know. Good thing it wasn't a car bomb or we'll all be suspects tomorrow as we travel to work. :)

Crazy, I know. Good thing it wasn't a car bomb or we'll all be suspects tomorrow as we travel to work. :laughing:

tomorrow keem-o-sabe?