map detail lacking on 60CSX VS my CS

zedex

I have had my trusty 60CS for a few years but decided to upgrade to a CSX.So, heres my question. On the map page on each gps i get better map detail on my CS vs CSX. To give you an example. On the map page I have both gps,s set at 3km range. Both gps,s the settings is on "normal" map detail. But the CS labels a few mountains with a mountain symbol as well as our local airport. On the CSX these are missing. Both units have the exact same maps on them. If i set the CSX to "more " map detail i get more contour lines which clutter up the screen but still no airport or mountain labelling. When i downloaded the maps to each gps the map detail in mapsource is set to "maximum".

So i dont get it. Why more detail on the CS??

thanks

I have had my trusty 60CS for a few years but decided to upgrade to a CSX.So, heres my question. On the map page on each gps i get better map detail on my CS vs CSX. To give you an example. On the map page I have both gps,s set at 3km range. Both gps,s the settings is on "normal" map detail. But the CS labels a few mountains with a mountain symbol as well as our local airport. On the CSX these are missing. Both units have the exact same maps on them. If i set the CSX to "more " map detail i get more contour lines which clutter up the screen but still no airport or mountain labelling. When i downloaded the maps to each gps the map detail in mapsource is set to "maximum".

thanks

I just bought the CSx and use the upper north east 2008 topo chip and see all mountains labeled.So im curious as to why you dont.

Yes. I have gone into map settings and adjusted the exact same sttings as my CS. The menue in "setup map" is exactly the same on both units. On my CS i have little icons which indicate a mountain like a tiny picture of a mountain. There is a tiny tree indicating a campsite.A tiny plane icon indicating the airport. Etc. Nothing on the CSX model. Like i said all maps are identical (canadatopo). All the setting in "map setup" are identical. I even tried changing all the setting to try and make icons come up and nothing.

Totally unimpressed with the CSX so far.

For the sake of my own piece of mind i downloaded the topo canada upgrade free from garmin thinking maybe that might work. So after 1 hour of redownloading all the updated maps into the CSX still nothing. I did buy this unit as a refurbished csx so maybe this unit is still bad. I am definitely returning it becauise it doesn't compare to my CS. Maps are more detailed and the buttons on the CSX "SUCK".

Its like the csx is a downgrade from my CS.

I wish there was a way to show you a screenshot of the 2 screens but i dont think its possible.

Update.

I did another test to try and determine if the CSX is faster or more accurate than my CS. The cs is a tiny bit faster than the CSX for whatever reason. In this test i had both units side by side in the car while the wife drove around. The CS responded a tiny bit faster than the CSX. The CSX holds satellites a bit better but doesnt acquire them any faster than the CS. The speed issue could have something to do with the 2 gig card.

So i dunno. All these reports of the CSX being faster and generally better than the CS i dont see.

The only read advantage is unlimited memory. Other than that i will gladly keep my CS.

Whats funny is that the mapsource maps i have on my computer shows the marina with anchor icon. Airport with plane icon,camping sites with picnic table icon,mountains with mountain icon. All show up on the cs and none show up on the CSX. Hmmmmm.

Edited by zedex

thanks

I just tried my two (60cs and 60csx) and as long as the declutter settings are the same the maps were basically the same.

Yes. I tried "turn declutter on" and basically that removes all names of locations. I tried every concievable setting on the map page with no improvement. I even reloaded all the maps on the CS to see if i still had all the icons like camping spots,airport etc and they were all on the cs. Nothing on the CSX.

Zoom level? I know on the Colorado you can set it to not show certain things unless you are zoomed in to a specified level. Makes the cache clutter go away when you don't want to see it.

Glen? genius? i think so. Going into zoom i had to set the gps to 5km for the icons to show up. On the CS the setting is on Auto. Seems strange to me , when you have the CSX set to auto there will be no icons at any zoom level.

Thanks Glenfg. :o

In the map setup screens there is a setting for "detail" on the first screen. Playing with that selects the detail level of the maps as various zoom levels (in conjunction with declutter/clutter and probably a few other settings).

In the map setup screens there is a setting for "detail" on the first screen. Playing with that selects the detail level of the maps as various zoom levels (in conjunction with declutter/clutter and probably a few other settings).

You hit the nail on the head, its a settings issue. To change your map settings from the map screen hit menu and select setup map. now highlight mapsetup - points (small flag icon, third from the left). I believe the setting you are looking for is the map points zoom level, see image below.

mappointsettingjz5.png

Edited by hogrod

That is one of the very few complaints I have about the Garmin units.... and I'm sure it's the same with all of them.

The Owner's manual is rudamentary at best. It lack's any real detail or instruction covering all the many capabilities of the units.

I have purchased those supplemental Video's which are supposed to explain the features, but they really aren't any better than the supplied book.

Thank goodness for all the forum members who are self-taught and then take the time to help others and share their discoveries.

Tim

Another thing I would check is make sure you have the latest unit software installed on the 60csx. You can check the unit software here: Main menu, setup, system, press menu and select software version. The latest for the 60csx as of now is software version 3.50, GPS chipset software verison 3.00

Thanks for all the help. The issue is resolved. It is too bad the manual is very lacking of info. The zoom level is what actually fixed the problem. Adjusting the detail which was mentioned did not help the icon problem, it just gave you more detailed map lines.

The gps had all the latest software as well.

All is good. I will keep the CSX .

Thanks again

Good thread indeed. I, being a new csx owner, have come to the conclusion that just playing with every possible screen, menu and setting is the only way to learn this thing. The book is very lacking. What a terrific unit though! Thanks all!

Justin

Edited by JustinHEMI