Two-Person Tents

Ferreter5

Howdy folks.

I'm looking for some recommendations for two-person tents that y'all might be using. Some things I think forms the basis of what I want:

• Two-person.
  • Three-season.
  • Lightweight (5 pounds-ish maximum).
  • Packs small enough so it won't take up my entire pack.
  • Can be put up by one person.
  • Clip design instead of threading poles through sleeves.
  • Rainfly.
  • Vestibule? Not really sure about this. In the event of rain it'd be nice to be able to stash our two packs in the tent with us even if that makes things a little crowded.

In addition to recommendations, please let me know if I'm way off base here or if there's anything I've forgotten that I should take into account when looking at tents.

My Tent is a few years old at this point and has been replaced with the REI Quarter Dome T2.

My thoughts have a lot to do with the older design - some of them have been addressed in the new version, but some just have to do with the size of the tent, too.

Good things:

[*] Lightweight at 3 lb, 12 oz - very light for one person to carry, even better if you can split the weight

[*] Very easy for one person to put up and take down

[*] Full to-the-ground rainfly

[*] Decent sized doors - easy to sit inside with legs outside to put on/take off shoes, access pack, get in and out. Suppose you could cook if you want to.

[*] Vestibule space large enough to allow us to keep our packs outside of the tent, and out of the rain.

New nice things that ours doesn't have:

[*] Clips, not sleeves (altho, I've got to tell you, the sleeves on my tent are NOT difficult - the poles don't get caught up in the fabric)

[*] The third pole across the top of the tent (from door to door) - it seems as if this has opened up some head room, and made the walls of the tent more vertical than mine which is very narrow at the top

Things about ours that we don't like:

[*] We're currently wondering if the sleeved poles encourage 'water seepage' issues because the fly sits right against the fabric. We got caught in a pretty consistent rain (read: many many overnight hours) and had non-condensation water running down the sides of the tent where the fly touched the sleeved areas - everything else remained dry. It wasn't a big issue - nothing had to dry out, for instance... but... we're postulating that the clips might alleviate this.

[*] The tent is a little small for two people (neither of us Of Unusual Size) and gear (especially if you have to bring it in with you.) We both have prolite Thermarest sleeping pads of a normal size and have to put them head to toe to get them to fit (tightly) in the floor of the tent. No leaking issues from this sort of thing (mostly, I believe, due to the coverage of the fly), but you know, it could be a little wider.

[*] The footprint sucks. I'll be cutting up some tyvek this season.

Would I buy this particular model again? No. Would I buy the new one? I would purchase the slightly larger 3 man REI T3, fully expecting to avail myself of the opportunity to return it, no questions asked, if I didn't like it.

Take a look - it's under your weight limit and fits the other requirements you've listed.

We're considering stepping up to something like the Black Diamond Vista. It's a little heavier (6 pounds) but it has a LOT more room.

I guess we like that kind of thing (along with our french press coffee...) Next thing you know we'll be skipping the camping altogether in favor of an RV... or maybe a boat.

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

Hi Michelle.

Wow, thank you for such great detail on your experience with your tent! Every bit of it is very helpful.

I take it that having the rainfly touch the tent doesn't help with shedding water.

Also, was wondering what you meant by, "The footprint sucks. I'll be cutting up some tyvek this season." Can you give a few details about what you didn't like about it?

Thank you again for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. :blink:

When we can't drive up and drop CJ's three ROOM tent , it's usually a Golite Hex2.

Realized at a late-season storm that tents shaped like teepees' aren't the best in strong winds at high altitudes though.

However, if you're heading on the AT and need a 4lb (tent, pole [save more using a stick or hike pole]and "nest", which consists of a inner bug baffler tent [clip in] and floor) this would be hard to beat.

Unfortunately, Golite decided to phase these out this year, as most folks like the "looks" of a dome.

Guess it's E-bay for one now...

They now only carry the "shangri-la 3" (name change) at around 5lbs.

Realize that with your intended weight specs you're pretty-much stuck with a silnylon single wall for three seasons. Not the best if caught in heavy rains or snow.

I'm seriously looking at a North Face Spectrum23 at this (tax refund) time. Single/double wall hybrid (double where you need it) and weighs in at a little over 3lbs. Looks promising.

A Hilleberg Allak (5 1/2lbs) is my dream tent, when I don't need to rely on tax time for play toys :blink:

Cache safe.

Hi cerberus1,

Thank you for helping me out with your comments and advice! :blink:

Realize that with your intended weight specs you're pretty-much stuck with a silnylon single wall for three seasons. Not the best if caught in heavy rains or snow.

Hmmm, hadn't given any thought to camping in cold and bad weather. I'm assuming a double-wall tent would offer more protection in a trade off with adding more weight.

I can load up my pack with 15 pounds and walk around with it all day. What I'm not used to is loading up my pack with 30+ pounds and doing the same thing. So I guess in my initial thoughts I was being a little wary of too much weight dedicated to a tent.

A Hilleberg Allak (5 1/2lbs) is my dream tent, when I don't need to rely on tax time for play toys :wub:

Wow, those Hilleberg things are expensive! But, I suppose if frequent camping in bad weather is what you enjoy, then these may fit the bill.

I don't have much experience with tents at all which is why I'm asking you kind folks here for pointers and recommendations.

Edited by Ferreter5

I have one of these tents. It is small, lightweight, and very easy to setup. :D

The main reason I got it was because it was not coated with smelly, flame-retardant chemicals. Admitedly, I haven't used it in bad weather, so I'm not sure how the single-wall holds up in heavy rain, like that outside my house right now. :P

Here is the description on the R.E.I. page. I didn't pay that much for mine, and couldn't get it from R.E.I. here in California because it is "illegal" to sell non-flame-retardant tents in this State.

We can not ship this tent to addresses in MA, NY, NJ, LA, MI, MN, CA or Canada.

I got a Tyvek footprint for it, cut to size, from a vendor on eBay.

I have one of these tents. It is small, lightweight, and very easy to setup. :blink:

The main reason I got it was because it was not coated with smelly, flame-retardant chemicals. Admitedly, I haven't used it in bad weather, so I'm not sure how the single-wall holds up in heavy rain, like that outside my house right now. :unsure:

Here is the description on the R.E.I. page. I didn't pay that much for mine, and couldn't get it from R.E.I. here in California because it is "illegal" to sell non-flame-retardant tents in this State.

We can not ship this tent to addresses in MA, NY, NJ, LA, MI, MN, CA or Canada.

I got a Tyvek footprint for it, cut to size, from a vendor on eBay.

Single wall tents do pretty well in rain. The problem is condensation in most climates. They work well in dry mountain air and in the desert. Most other places they aren't good choices. I spent one night in a single wall and it was practically raining inside the tent thanks to the condensation.

Hi Miragee,

I have one of these tents. It is small, lightweight, and very easy to setup. :laughing:

The main reason I got it was because it was not coated with smelly, flame-retardant chemicals. Admitedly, I haven't used it in bad weather, so I'm not sure how the single-wall holds up in heavy rain, like that outside my house right now. :blink:

Thank you for pointing out what tent you are using. It's certainly a lightweight one, which is good. I'll most likely be looking for a tent with a rainfly so we can be comfy and dry in the case of inclement weather.

Edited by Ferreter5

Would I buy the new one? I would purchase the slightly larger 3 man REI T3, fully expecting to avail myself of the opportunity to return it, no questions asked, if I didn't like it.

Ya know, that's a pretty nice looking tent. Looks a tad bit small for a true three-person tent, though three would probably fit in there snugly in a pinch. And, it weighs in at a claimed pack weight of 5 pounds. Might make for a nice 2.5 person tent.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by Ferreter5

Would I buy the new one? I would purchase the slightly larger 3 man REI T3, fully expecting to avail myself of the opportunity to return it, no questions asked, if I didn't like it.

Ya know, that's a pretty nice looking tent. Looks a tad bit small for a true three-person tent, though three would probably fit in there snugly in a pinch. And, it weighs in at a claimed pack weight of 5 pounds. Might make for a nice 2.5 person tent.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Keep in mind most backpacking tents are a tad small. A 1 man tent is designed for .75 man, 2 man tent is designed for 1.5 and a three man tent is designed for 2.5 at best.

If this is really for two people then your realistic option is to be really really really cozy, or go for a 3 man tent and split the weight between the two of you. In a two man tent, when you roll over, your partner is obligated to roll with you.

If it's just for yourself, your mileage will vary on what you're willing to carry. I carry the MSR Hubba Hubba and it is barely big enough for me but it fits my needs perfectly. It is a clip design with a fly that doesn't touch the inner walls of the tent. It has weathered very well in what appeared to be all night rain storms with no leakage. The floor is bathtub design and the tent is mostly screen mesh that works very well at keeping teh no seeums out. There is nothing like waking up from a nap with the fly off and see thousands of the pests bouncing off the outside of the screen. Speaking of which, because of the very open nature of the tent, I can have the fly completely zippered up and still cook with my stove in the vestibule with no worries of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Hi TotemLake,

Thank you for weighing in on the subject of tents!

Keep in mind most backpacking tents are a tad small. A 1 man tent is designed for .75 man, 2 man tent is designed for 1.5 and a three man tent is designed for 2.5 at best.

If this is really for two people then your realistic option is to be really really really cozy, or go for a 3 man tent and split the weight between the two of you. In a two man tent, when you roll over, your partner is obligated to roll with you.

Ya know, that's sorta the feeling I'm getting from what I've been reading about tents. Might be better off going with a small/light three-person tent and using it for two.

If it's just for yourself, your mileage will vary on what you're willing to carry. I carry the MSR Hubba Hubba and it is barely big enough for me but it fits my needs perfectly. It is a clip design with a fly that doesn't touch the inner walls of the tent.

The Hubba Hubba and that Quarter Dome pointed out by CurmudgeonlyGal look pretty similar in their open-mesh design and rainflies. Thank you for pointing out the Hubba Hubba as another option, especially since you're currently using it!

Oh goodie! A topic I know lots about!!!

First off, a 2 person tent is misleading. 2 people in a 2 person tent is tight, at best. You will be sleeping head to foot. And, if one of you is taller or on the larger side, forget about it. If you're looking for comfort, go 3 man. Which, of course, will mean more wieght.

Stay away from single wall tents. They are made for drier climes (read; high altitudes). condensation will build up inside them fast. Plus, they are expensive, moreso than a comparable double wall tent.

Now, it comes down to weight. A vestibule is nice, but adds weight. Poles are nice, but add weight. My PERSONAL preference is a tent you can use hiking poles with. Ones such as Black Diamond Megamid. No bugscreen, true, but, well, enough room for 2, plus a little gear. With a little ingeuity, you can sew mozzie netting on the bottom panels, so you can get added ventilation without bugs. Now, there is no floor either, so keep that in mind.

Alot of folks here recommended some excellent tents. I'll let you in on something though; I have NEVER slept well in a tent, but, last year, switched to hammock camping, and slept like a baby every night I was in one. Which, all told, was about 14 nights last year. If you google "hammock forums" or "hammock camping", you will find a ton of info. Mine is a Hennesy Hammock, which I absolutely love. Granted, you cannot sit up & play cards in it, or even cook in it, but, for ease of placement, you simply cannot go wrong. Two trees, all you need. Dont have to worry about soggy ground, a clear area, rocks, nothing. Something you may want to consider.

Hey Ferreter5,

We have a Hilleberg Nallo 3, and I can tell you, its quite expensive, but you won't regret the purchase.

It is an ultralight all-season 3 person tunnel tent. weighs about 5 lbs 5 oz. at max.

It is roomy enough for 2 and weighs less than most lightweight 2-perso tents I can assure you.

Last time we used it we were with 2 grown ups and 2 children (I admit, that was a bit tight, but it was possible)

It is a pole through sleeve system, but believe me, its easy ( slide the pole in from 1 side and it ends in a sort of pocket on the other side, no hassle at all.)

The trick to avoid poles from getting stuck in the fabric is to never pull the poles out of the sleeves, but to push them out. Believe me I prefer this system above clips. I always raise the tent by myself and it takes me 3 minutes or so.

Great thing about this tent is that you can leave the inner tent in the outer tent so even when you have to raise your tent in a rainstorm (as we did several times during a hike in Schotland) the inside of your tgent stays dry.

We have this tent for 11 years!! now, have used it intensely the first 8 years and I still use it on canoe trips.

It still shows no signs of wear and has never shown any sign of leakage.

A great investment, I assure you.

BTW, we also have a Moskoselkatan Teepee, since our children are to big for the Hilleberg.

On shorter hikes (few day trips) if we camp in the forest, or in areas with enough possibilities to hang a hammock, we also camp in our Hennesey-hammocks.

Of all three mentioned above I really prefer sleeping in the hammock (we do use the large trapezium shaped rainflies, so you have at least something to sit and cook under in bad weather)

What oldsoldier says goes for me as well.

The most comfortable way to sleep is in a hammock, I never slept better. No matter were we camp or what tent we use: if I can find a place to hang my hammock, I sleep in the hammock nowadays. (even in near winter conditions)

On one occasion I've even hung my hammock between two cars.

A great way to camp! gives you a lot of freedom, and sleeps the best! You do need trees or something though <_<

Well...that is not quite true, I've also used the hammock as a tent, in a treeless area. Using my hiking poles as tentpoles, the rainfly makes quite a big tent and with the hammock on the ground between them, you still sleep bug-free (the Hennesy has a mosquito net attached to the hammock).

You do sleep on the ground though, just like in a normal tent, but hey, it was in case of need, right?

Edited by Twin Peaks

Hi Twin Peaks,

Thank you for sharing your Hilleberg experiences. I'm finding it very informative to hear all about what folks have been doing with their tents and what's worked well for them. They're seriously expensive tents. I'll have to check around here to see if anyplace has some I can look at. There's no way I'd spend that kind of money sight unseen.

The trick to avoid poles from getting stuck in the fabric is to never pull the poles out of the sleeves, but to push them out. Believe me I prefer this system above clips. I always raise the tent by myself and it takes me 3 minutes or so.

Was wondering why you prefer the sleeves. I keep reading about how much more convenient clips are, but I don't have any first hand experience with them myself. How is the inner tent attached to the outer fly? Now that the sporting goods stores around here are starting to gear up for spring and camping season I'll have to go see if they have various tents set up that I can spend time fiddling with.

Edited by Ferreter5

Was wondering why you prefer the sleeves. I keep reading about how much more convenient clips are, but I don't have any first hand experience with them myself. How is the inner tent attached to the outer fly? Now that the sporting goods stores around here are starting to gear up for spring and camping season I'll have to go see if they have various tents set up that I can spend time fiddling with.

We had a dome tent, like the Sierra Design Sirius, with a clip design, the year before we bought the Hilleberg.

Before we had the kids, we were hiking and camping every free moment we had.

I don't know if the clip system has improved since then, but our experience is, that when you have to raise your tent, during a rainstorm, with wet and cold fingers, the clips are not that conveneint all of a sudden.

Biggest problem for us however, was that you had to raise the inner tent first and than throw the outer fly over it.

If one man raises the tent, that's a hell of a job in windy conditions.

Took me usually well over 10 minutes and we ended up with a soaking (inner and outer) tent before the outer fly was at its place.

Believe me, after our first hike in Scotland (wich is a beautifull country, even when it rains!) first thing we did was: buy a new tent! (the Hilleberg.)

1 - footprint (tyvek) on the ground

2 - spread outer tent over the footprint and shove the poles in the sleeves. (which is a lot easier with a tunnel or a hybrid tunnel, than with a dome, I admit to that, but our Hilleberg is a tunnel))

3 - attach the backside of the tent to the ground with 2 tent-pegs (minimum) or 3 in windy conditions. ( place the tent with the (lower) backside to the wind!)

4 - take the frontside of the tent in both hands and pull towards you untill the tent is fully raised and place the 2 tent-pegs in the front.

READY! ususally in less than 3 minutes, with only 4 or 5 pegs! In heavy wind you can place extra stormlines and tent-pegs. (we never had to use more than the 4 stormlines attached, and we usually even don't)

If you did not leave your inner tent inside, that one conveniently attaches with a clip system afterwards.

Since you are already inside your outer tent, the inside of your outer tent and the inner tent stay completely dry.

Of course all this is not significant, if you live in an area, where it never rains :anibad:

But believe me, over here I would not want another tent.

Try to search for one at the E-place, if a new one is too pricy for you. You may get a good deal on a second hand (ours is 11 years old and shows NO wear and tear!)

Edited by Twin Peaks

This isn't directed at TL, but I thought I'd use his post as a jumping-off point -

If you are two relatively-small people, a two-man tent isn't a bad deal. Been there, done that... and it works out. Of course, as soon as the weather gets crappy, you start to wish for more room, or less gear!

In my case, we have one relatively-small person of above-average height (for a girl) and one relatively-normal person of above-average height (for a guy) and it always looks like a bomb exploded inside the tent. Lots of stuff. We aren't so much obligated to roll over at the same time, in fact, we can both lay on our stomachs or backs at the same time... mind you this doesn't happen much because I'm usually FREEZING MY A** off. Read: bodyheatsuckingleech.

I'm generally ok with the size of the current tent (and the weight), especially if the weather is halfway decent, but The Man thinks something with more room would be ideal. Carrying the extra weight if fine, he says... which, I guess, makes it ok. If he's gonna pack the entire kitchen sink, what's a couple more pounds in tent?

:anibad:

Seriously though, heed the advice. If you're not conjoined twins, you might look at the three-man tents a little more seriously.

michelle

I don't know if the clip system has improved since then, but our experience is, that when you have to raise your tent, during a rainstorm, with wet and cold fingers, the clips are not that conveneint all of a sudden.

Biggest problem for us however, was that you had to raise the inner tent first and than throw the outer fly over it.

If one man raises the tent, that's a hell of a job in windy conditions.

Took me usually well over 10 minutes and we ended up with a soaking (inner and outer) tent before the outer fly was at its place.

Hmmm. I guess that would be a problem for any tent that has a separate fly.

Even a Hilleberg would have that problem if you had separated the two when striking camp in the morning so you could let the fly dry while you hiked during the day (assuming it had rained the night before, isn't raining in the morning, and it starts raining again when you want to make camp -- yeah, probably a pretty contrived scenario).

Thank you for sharing your experiences with tents!

Howdy oldsoldier,

Huh, hammocks. Now there's something I hadn't considered. Time to go do some reading up on them.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hammocks are nice, but sleep a lot colder than a tent. You don't have the insulating properties of the ground. In summer they are great. Winter forget it. They work in spring and fall if the nights aren't too cold.

Some hammock makers are trying to address this with sleeping bags that circle the entire hammock and similar schemes. I can't vouch for how well they work but I can say that some of the coldest nights I've spent outdoors were in a hammock.

Even a Hilleberg would have that problem if you had separated the two when striking camp in the morning

It doesn't.

You always raise the outer tent first and clip in the inner tent later.

Because the poles go through a sleeve, and both sleeve ends are kept together on the bottom with an adjustable strap, to give the tent its tunnel-shape, you can even use the outer tent without the inner tent.

(in a bug and mosquito-free environment, that is ;) )

We have often seperated the inner and outer tent to store the inner tent dry in the backpack and let the outer tent (try to) dry outside the backpack.

If you take the right steps you always have a dry inner tent, no matter how bad the weather is.

Edited by Twin Peaks

Howdy oldsoldier,

Huh, hammocks. Now there's something I hadn't considered. Time to go do some reading up on them.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hammocks are nice, but sleep a lot colder than a tent. You don't have the insulating properties of the ground. In summer they are great. Winter forget it. They work in spring and fall if the nights aren't too cold.

Some hammock makers are trying to address this with sleeping bags that circle the entire hammock and similar schemes. I can't vouch for how well they work but I can say that some of the coldest nights I've spent outdoors were in a hammock.

Disagree...

But you have to come prepared of course.

I've slept in my hammock a few times in near winter, and once in sub zero conditions to test my (4 season) sleeping-bag and my self made sleeping mat.

As I said I have a self made sleeping mat I use inside my hammock.

I took a sheet of 12mm thick Insul-Sheet (industrial insulation) and cut it in the shape of my body with a 20cm margin all around.

On the self adhesive side I glued a fleece blanket and on the other side I glued a Mylar rescue-blanket (with the golden side down)

The mat goes inside the hammock, with the mylar down, so it reflects the cold from the ground.

This mat is very flexible, shapes partly around my body when I lie on it inside the hammock, is very comfy and warm even in the sub-zero testconditions. (in combination with my goose-down sleeping-bag)

It rolls up smaller and weighs less, than most insulation mats. I carry it in a cover on top of my backpack.

(in fact, I am so satisfied with it, I am thinking of making a commercial product of it)

Hennesy makes a pad that goes underneath the body. Other folks on hammock forums also make similar items, some are quilts, some are pads.

We had an unusually cold night one night last spring. My nephew opted for a tent, I used my hammock. He said he woke up a few times cold, likely from rolling off the mat. The hammock forms a cocoon when you are in it-you cannot roll off the pad. I slept with nothing more on me than a poncho liner, and was fine.

Your regular, of the shelf hammocks WILL in fact keep you cold, without something under you. I am speaking of the ones that are designed for hikers. True, you could take along stuff like a tarp, a sleeping mat, and the hammock itself. You'd save alot of money. Or, you can buy one, specifically designed for camping/hiking, and avoid the dreaded folding of the body that you'd get with sleeping in a cheap hammock.

All I am doing is expanding your horizons. Get you to think outside the box I had a TNF 2 person tent for the better part of 10 years, before I was introduced to the hammock sleep system. Now, as long as there's two stout places to hang it, I am using this method.

The clip system on the MSR Hubba series allows the fly to go up first, then you can attach the footprint, then you can kneel inside and attach the tent, far side first and work your way back. The rods are all bungeed together so all you do is snap them together then snap the fly corners eyelets to the corner end of the poles. The whole setup, eyelets and clips work easy with and without gloves. In windy conditions, stake down the corners of the fly, the corners have rope to stake down so you can lift up the corner a bit to connect the corners of each together.

In ideal conditions, the tent is up in under 3 minutes once its unpaced from the backpack. I haven't had to squirrel around in less than ideal conditions yet, but have practiced it for the what if factor.

The clip system on the MSR Hubba series allows the fly to go up first, then you can attach the footprint, then you can kneel inside and attach the tent, far side first and work your way back. The rods are all bungeed together so all you do is snap them together then snap the fly corners eyelets to the corner end of the poles. The whole setup, eyelets and clips work easy with and without gloves. In windy conditions, stake down the corners of the fly, the corners have rope to stake down so you can lift up the corner a bit to connect the corners of each together.

In ideal conditions, the tent is up in under 3 minutes once its unpaced from the backpack. I haven't had to squirrel around in less than ideal conditions yet, but have practiced it for the what if factor.

As I said, I have no experience with newer clip-systems, but the system you described is far more better than the older system I knew.

No matter what system, in bad weather, any system were you raise the fly first,is preferred over a system were you raise the inner tent first. (and we prepare for the worst, don't we?)

The way I see it, the only advantage of a system were you raise the inner tent first, is that you can use them without the fly, when the weather allows it.

Edited by Twin Peaks

This isn't directed at TL, but I thought I'd use his post as a jumping-off point -

If you are two relatively-small people, a two-man tent isn't a bad deal. Been there, done that... and it works out. Of course, as soon as the weather gets crappy, you start to wish for more room, or less gear!

In my case, we have one relatively-small person of above-average height (for a girl) and one relatively-normal person of above-average height (for a guy) and it always looks like a bomb exploded inside the tent. Lots of stuff. We aren't so much obligated to roll over at the same time, in fact, we can both lay on our stomachs or backs at the same time... mind you this doesn't happen much because I'm usually FREEZING MY A** off. Read: bodyheatsuckingleech.

I'm generally ok with the size of the current tent (and the weight), especially if the weather is halfway decent, but The Man thinks something with more room would be ideal. Carrying the extra weight if fine, he says... which, I guess, makes it ok. If he's gonna pack the entire kitchen sink, what's a couple more pounds in tent?

:laughing:

Seriously though, heed the advice. If you're not conjoined twins, you might look at the three-man tents a little more seriously.

michelle

That's ok... I'm a bit smaller than my former self now. 34 lbs less to be exact. :laughing: ...and another 48 lbs to go.

Hammocks are nice, but sleep a lot colder than a tent. You don't have the insulating properties of the ground.

The ground is not an insulator; it is a big heat sink. In the winter (and around here most of the summer too) it is colder than your body is (well maybe not CG :laughing: ). If you lay directly on it you will get the heat sucked right out of you. That why we have insulating pads. Insulating pads, and sleeping bag for that matter, simply trap air that gets warmed by your body. You get less insulation when you compress the pad or bag like the side that you lay on.

What different with the hammock is the air blowing underneath you can be colder than the ground meaning you need more insulation. One way to get that is by applying the insulation under the hammock so that it doesn't get compressed. You can't do that with a tent.

Edited by MarcusArelius

michelle

That's ok... I'm a bit smaller than my former self now. 34 lbs less to be exact. :P ...and another 48 lbs to go.

Then it's time to swing by for a little celebration of the carnivore in all of us. :laughing:

In all honesty, I wasn't pointing 'size/weight' fingers at you, but it's more of an agreement that if you and your tent-mate are NOT on the smaller size of average (BOTH of you) a two-man tent is not the best option if you don't want to... spoon... or just like a little extra room.

I love that you mentioned cooking under the no-see-um mesh part of the tent as being ok. After my last-summer troubles with the non-ventilated alcohol stoves (I even had this problem out on the trail) I'm pretty careful about when/what/where I fire them up.

I would assume that your in-the-tent gig only works if you don't have the fly on, eh?

Couldn't you just cook outside if it's nice enough to have the fly off? ;)

michelle

Hammocks are nice, but sleep a lot colder than a tent. You don't have the insulating properties of the ground.

The ground is not an insulator; it is a big heat sink. In the winter (and around here most of the summer too) it is colder than your body is (well maybe not CG :laughing: ).

Har har har.

Thanks for the mention... I think.

Your point is valid and something people need to think about- the ground isn't warm... but in a hammock, you have the air completely surrounding you. I would liken it more to sleeping on an air mattress if you don't insulate effectively.

Probably the worst outdoor sleeping experiences (yes, because you can't just do it once and learn, right?) I've ever had was when using an air mattress. Obviously we don't do that hiking-camping... but we have taken the mattress out car and beach camping. It wasn't the smartest thing we've ever done. (But then we do compensate there by bringing a propane heater, a small cooler-refrigerator and an extra battery so we can jump the Burb after we kill it by running the fridge overnight for a couple of nights.)

Life's rough out there.

And the air mattress stays home now. Always.

michelle

ice queen

Hiking hammocks usually have a place to slip a sleep pad, or one of the insulating pads that most hammock companies make. True, without one, you will be cold all night underneath, even if you are enclosed in a sleeping bag. Insulation under you gets crushed & doesnt insulate. Hence, the "cocoons", or pad, that are UNDER the hammock, or around the outside of it. This keeps the insulating properties of the material intact, and keeps you warm.

Granted, I havent done any winter camping in mine, and likely never will. But, I have had friends who have slept out in them, and said they slept warm, albeit rocking sometimes from the wind.

But, again, this is simply an option you may wish to explore. Some people like it, some tried it & didnt. Me, I'm glad I made the switch. But, I am also not the most conventional person out there.

michelle

That's ok... I'm a bit smaller than my former self now. 34 lbs less to be exact. ;) ...and another 48 lbs to go.

Then it's time to swing by for a little celebration of the carnivore in all of us. :laughing:

In all honesty, I wasn't pointing 'size/weight' fingers at you, but it's more of an agreement that if you and your tent-mate are NOT on the smaller size of average (BOTH of you) a two-man tent is not the best option if you don't want to... spoon... or just like a little extra room.

I love that you mentioned cooking under the no-see-um mesh part of the tent as being ok. After my last-summer troubles with the non-ventilated alcohol stoves (I even had this problem out on the trail) I'm pretty careful about when/what/where I fire them up.

I would assume that your in-the-tent gig only works if you don't have the fly on, eh?

Couldn't you just cook outside if it's nice enough to have the fly off? :P

michelle

I didn't take any finger pointing :anicute:

The stove cooking was with the fly on. The fly doesn't go all the way to the ground, but rather stays a couple of inches off of it allowing for great ventilation. The stove stayed in the vestibule with the vestibule zippered closed. The only real issue I had was condensation build up from the steam when the water came to boil.

The ground is not an insulator; it is a big heat sink. In the winter (and around here most of the summer too) it is colder than your body is (well maybe not CG :laughing: ). If you lay directly on it you will get the heat sucked right out of you. That why we have insulating pads.

That's kind of what I meant. Between the sleeping pad and the ground, you don't have the cold air blowing under you, which could be much colder than the ground depending on the season.

I've slept in backpacking hammocks and researched them. It just seems to me that with all the devices needed to keep yourself warm in a hammock, you start to lose the weight savings and packability which is part of what makes them attractive in the first place.

Also, if there are two of you you need to carry two and again the weight saving is eliminated.

I strongly recommend the original Eureka! Timberline 2:

1. Comes in a variety of sizes including 2-man (7' 2"L X 5' 3"W X 3' 6"H)

2. Three-season tent

3. A little on the heavy side (5 lbs 13 oz) -- not good for solo trips or trips where weight is critical, but fine for group trips up to just under a week.

4. Packs about 16" long 6" diameter

5. I can put it by myself in under 5 minutes, including the fly

6. The set up consists of rolling out the tent, hooking up the A-frame, and clipping the tent to the frame. Flop the fly on top and clip it down.

7. It is a double-wall tent, so must have the fly set up to keep the rain out. The main tent wall is not water-proof, to prevent condensation from building up.

8. The "annex" is a separate item. It is basically a fly that secures to the tent at one end, a guyed pole at the other end, and a pair of stakes that pin down the corners and stabilize it. Pretty generous space for gear. Add a second pole and it can be set up as a stand alone shelter.

As free-standing tents go, this is a fairly old design -- it has been around for over 30 years. It is also very inexpensive -- I bet you can find one for under $100. You can spend a whole lot more on significantly crappier gear.

I have used mine for nearly 20 years, and it has held up with regular use. The 2XT is nice, but you have to do the vestibule whether you want it or not (it adds around1-1/2 pounds). Love the tents I see at the local REI (Sierra Designs, REI, MSR) but a little more than I can afford.

Edited by MikeB3542

I have had several backpacking tents and now use the Hubba-Hubba by MSR and will stay with it mainly because it has so much more room than other two man tents I've tried.It packs very small,it's light weight 3.8lbs (I think) and goes up quick.Most backpacking tents are exspensive but they last for years with little care and you really do get what you pay for in these tents.I backpacked in the smokies at 5000 feet and it had to set up the Hubba-Hubba in rain and wind and had no trouble.It kept two people and all gear dry and still had enogh room inside to play cards.There are alot of reasonably price tents on ebay.Alot of people try backpacking and don't have time to or whatever reason but sell these tents cheap with little use.Just my two cents. :laughing:

golite

Due to my lack of experience with tents I have a question ... What is the difference between three-season tents and four-season tents?

For example, all of the Hilleberg tents say they're four-season tents. What makes them a four-season tent over others that say they're three-season tents? They all look pretty much the same -- lightweight inner tent with a rain fly. Is there some significant difference in the materials or construction?

I understand the sturdier tents intended for expedition-type use are made with heavier materials and have thicker poles, but that doesn't seem to factor into determining whether the makers claim a tent is three-season or four-season.

By the way, you folks have been great with all of your help!

REI defines the difference this way:

Three-season tents: The most popular choice, these are made for the relatively temperate conditions of spring, summer and fall.

PROS: Protects you from wind, rain and bugs; offers ventilation and stargazing; lightweight.

CONS: Not intended for heavy snow loads.

Four-season tents: These are weatherproof for mountaineering and winter camping. Rounded edges and one or two additional poles help withstand heavy snow and high winds. Rounded dome designs eliminate flat roof spaces where snow can collect.

PROS: Best for snowy, harsh conditions.

CONS: Heavier; ventilation can be an issue in warm, humid climates.

In fact, you would do well to read their expert advise. Lots of good info there to help you decide.

Edited by TotemLake
Due to my lack of experience with tents I have a question ... What is the difference between three-season tents and four-season tents?

About 5 lbs.

Seriously, they are a lot heavier than 3 season tents. They are designed with more and heavier poles to withstand a snow load and much higher winds. They also have a lot less ventilation. Ventilation is great in

most seasons, but you really don't want a breeze inside your tent in the winter.

I think 4 season tent is a misnomer. They are really 1 season tents. They would not be very suitable for use in the summer. The weight factor aside, they will be pretty uncomfortable without the ventilation of a tent designed for summer use.

Howdy golite,

The MSR Hubba Hubba is one for which there have been many recommendations. It's passed my initial look at tents and is now on my short list of tents to look at in more detail.

Thank you for the thumbs up on the Hubba Hubba!

Hubba Hubba is a great tent. Lots of nice features. It was one I considered before buying my SD Sirius. Looking at the specs tho, it's 3 inches narrower than my SD Sirius (50" vs. 53"). I thought my Sirus was

tight in side at 53 inches, so Hubba Hubba is going to an even tighter fit for two. Perhaps the Mother Hubba

might be the way to go. Most 2 person backpacking tents are a very tight fit for 2 full sized adults.

Now if you have two petite women, or a 130 lb woman and a 170 lb guy they might be fine. But me at 230 lbs and my wife at 130 lbs (don't tell anyone I said that) are a very tight fit in my SD Sirius. Forget it if I went backpacking with one of my male friends.