proper way to discontinue a cache..

team lagonda

recently placed a multi thats more trouble than its worth..whats the proper way to 86 it....

Would it be less trouble for someone else to maintain it? If the cache is worth keeping you could ask other local cachers if they'd like to adopt it.

Otherwise, I would be a good idea to post a note in the cache indicating that you are planning on archiving it in, for example, two weeks (if it's still currently available), then archive the cache and removed all the stages.

Well, to add a bit to what the other helpful folks on this thread have already shared with you (namely, archive it and remove all stages), I wish to add that some of the more New Agey states (such as California, Washington state, Oregon, Wisconsin and others) also require that when you remove a cache or a cache stage from a spot, you also must sanitize the immediate area by detonating at the spot a small compact low-yield thermonuclear device to vaporize/remove all traces of "geocacher vibrations, energies and karma" left behind in the local environment by the cache (or cache stage) having been emplaced there. Luckily, you can usually find suitable small portable low-yield thermonuclear weapons which are just right for the job at your local military surplus store, and they usually sell for under $250 apiece; some sell for as little as $19.95.

I wish you the best with the task of decommissioning your cache.

Best:

1) Disable it, with a note that you'll be archiving it in two or three weeks.

2) Archive it 2 weeks later.

Always disable for a while before archiving. This lets people get one last Pocket Query with an indication the cache is unavailable. (After archiving, there are NO PQs.) It helps keep people from searching pointlessly for a cache that's no longer there, because according to their GPS and/or GSAK there's nothing wrong with it.

(Yes Jeremy, people do keep offline databases.)

Best:

2) Archive it 2 weeks later.

Always disable for a while before archiving. This lets people get one last Pocket Query with an indication the cache is unavailable. (After archiving, there are NO PQs.) It helps keep people from searching pointlessly for a cache that's no longer there, because according to their GPS and/or GSAK there's nothing wrong with it.

(Yes Jeremy, people do keep offline databases.)

Easy to avoid. Don't cache with stale data. Disabled is a temporary state indicating that it will be back. I would never follow the advice to do what you say.

for the OP

Archive it. Make sure you go clean up all the stages.

Yes, a warning is always good. There may be people who really want to find it.

I also will leave the containers in place for a month or two after archiving the cache, just so people who have old waypoints on their unit will have something to find should they go after it.

Well, to add a bit to what the other helpful folks on this thread have already shared with you (namely, archive it and remove all stages), I wish to add that some of the more New Agey states (such as California, Washington state, Oregon, Wisconsin and others) also require that when you remove a cache or a cache stage from a spot, you also must sanitize the immediate area by detonating at the spot a small compact low-yield thermonuclear device to vaporize/remove all traces of "geocacher vibrations, energies and karma" left behind in the local environment by the cache (or cache stage) having been emplaced there. Luckily, you can usually find suitable small portable low-yield thermonuclear weapons which are just right for the job at your local military surplus store, and they usually sell for under $250 apiece; some sell for as little as $19.95.

I wish you the best with the task of decommissioning your cache.

It is even worse than you mention in the state of Washington. First you must obtain and publish an impact statement on the impact of archiving your geocache. Only after you have shown that removing the cache will not impact future generations of cachers are you allowed to proceed. Before sanitizing the area you must also publish and abatement plan that shows how you will return the site to the pre-cache state. Of course the importing and placing black bears and coyotes in an urban area is always very controversial. One wonders why you want to place a cache in the first place. Some times I wish I lived in New Jersey where 93 of the 96 known elements are in the drinking water and folks have other things to worry about than the archiving of a cache.

Jim

I also will leave the containers in place for a month or two after archiving the cache, just so people who have old waypoints on their unit will have something to find should they go after it.

This can lead to trouble if someone places a new cache in the area. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion - two containers very close to each other, one from an old archived cache and the other the new, active cache.

This can lead to trouble if someone places a new cache in the area. I've seen it happen on more than one occasion - two containers very close to each other, one from an old archived cache and the other the new, active cache.

Well if a new cache goes in there , then of course I'd take it out. Hasn't been an issue yet though.

boogleman..i was thinking of a viking burial by floating the different stages on a board soaked in gasoline and lighting it out into the creek..thanks all for the info..

sweet, if that does not suit your needs I've got a clay pigeon thrower and some extra shotgun shells ;)

stage one - (pull) BANG

stage two - (pull) BANG, BANG