Creative ways places to hide a cache... help!

kwisnek91

I am thinking of hiding a few multi-caches in my area and I am trying to think of really fun and unique places to hide them... I really dont want them to go under rocks or at the base of a tree so I was thinking of placing some of them on a rope and pulled to the top of a tree and then whenever a cacher comes buy they can lower the rope and take whatever is needed then pull the cache back up into the tree. :huh:

can you guys tell me what you think about this and list some other possible placement ideas? :D

I am thinking of hiding a few multi-caches in my area and I am trying to think of really fun and unique places to hide them... I really dont want them to go under rocks or at the base of a tree so I was thinking of placing some of them on a rope and pulled to the top of a tree and then whenever a cacher comes buy they can lower the rope and take whatever is needed then pull the cache back up into the tree. :huh:

can you guys tell me what you think about this and list some other possible placement ideas? :D

I have a cache in a tree like that. The only problem can be the is when the person that found the cache does not hang back correctly.

Mine is off a bike trail about a mile from my house that I pass on a regular basis, so I am able to keep an eye on it.

That hide would be WAY beyond cool!

Cool is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure some would think it crude and vulgar. Still others would worry endlessly about damage to the poor topiary. I'm sure the PETA bleedin hearts would find some kinda fault with it.... Don't get me started. :D:huh:;):D

For me it's just Snooganesque. :)

Sounds like you are really asking two questions - container and place.

The 'Interesting Container' thread here has many wonderful container ideas.

The 'interesting places' is a bit harder!

Combining the two, however, will make for a great cache!

Interesting containers are well discussed in these forums, so let me make a suggestion about interesting places...

Get a tourist guide-book for your area, or a book on historical sites, something like that.

Talk to your local historical preservation group, they're almost always looking for ways to attract traffic to their sites and since they are non-profit (usually free) they avoid the commercial-listing issue.

See if you can find a coffee-table style picture book of great views in your area and try to place a cache at the location from which the picture was taken.

You don't have to put the cache on their property, a cache hidden down the street that describes the place and its significance is just as good, but then they may embrace the idea and invite you to hide one at all of their sites - I had that happen to me when I met the President of our local historical society at a cache placed without permission at one of his sites. We struck up a conversation, I explained the game, showed him the hide, got permission to leave it in place, gave him the gc web address and the next week got an email from him asking if our group would be interested in placing a cache at the 23 sites his society maintains!

Go to each prospective site and look for a good hiding place, then consider what kind of cache would fit in that location.

You might be surprised at how, once you find the place, the right container will spring to mind - it's almost always easier than making a container and going looking for a place to hide it!

Individual caches, a series of themed caches or a multi-cache can then be built around the selection of places, each with an appropriate container.

Have fun!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I had come up with that idea as well (as I'm sure a million cachers have). I got all the materials to do it but had difficulty finding the right tree in "legal" territory...but also (not being all that young and spry), I couldn't figure out how to get the container high up in the tree. If I can find a tree I can climb, I'd still like to do it. I have all kinds of ideas for camo.

I had come up with that idea as well (as I'm sure a million cachers have). I got all the materials to do it but had difficulty finding the right tree in "legal" territory...but also (not being all that young and spry), I couldn't figure out how to get the container high up in the tree. If I can find a tree I can climb, I'd still like to do it. I have all kinds of ideas for camo.

There are various telescoping type poles that you could potentially use. Also, some of those ladders that fold up to fit in a trunk can extend very high as well...if you want to avoid climbing more than you have to.

I always wanted to hide a cache in the pooper of a topiary. :P:D:P:D

I have a long brown plastic tube and I'm just waiting to get permission. :o

ElephantsHomeWeb.jpg

The surgical gloves i carry for CITO would come in handy on that one. ROTFLMAO!!!!!

As a Shrubber, I can say - PLEASE DON'T HIDE A CACHE IN TOPIARY !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you knew the time it spent to get these elephants in this shape, you'd understand. I can't imagine any gardener approving your cache in his topiary if he knew of the damage that is possible from seekers.

As a Shrubber, I can say - PLEASE DON'T HIDE A CACHE IN TOPIARY !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you knew the time it spent to get these elephants in this shape, you'd understand. I can't imagine any gardener approving your cache in his topiary if he knew of the damage that is possible from seekers.

That's why he said he was waiting for permission. Imagine the great pictures you could get :D

Hardest part of hiding one up a tree with a "pulley system" is that you need lots of rope and you will find that you need to camouflage a loop of about forty feet of rope let alone a way to secure it so that it can't accidentally be set loose to come down and crown the cachers spouseling or other companion.

Hiding the rope is the hardest part. Stop by a flag sometime and see how much rope is needed to raise and lower.... it's surprising

Hiding the rope is the hardest part. Stop by a flag sometime and see how much rope is needed to raise and lower.... it's surprising
We did a cache in a tree but it was a smaller cache, decon container. Instead of a rope, they used a heavy duty fishing line that blended in well and made for a harder find.

THis is what i've thought of using before because the rope is now disquised, only problem is will it hold a regular?

our second hide was a camo mayo jar that is hanging in a tree attached by purple cord that is tied to the bottom of the tree we thought we were 1st in this area to do this till we found what the heck in the woods we went walking finally found a rope at the bottom of a tree and looked up and there swaying was an ammo box got back to the car and realized we could see it in plain sight from there after we searched over 1/2 hour

ive had plenty of fun dreaming up new and fun caches.

one of mine is a drilled out 2x4 with fake bolts. its velcroed to a wooden bridge

another is a coke can i sliced

one of my buddies and i converted a sprinkler head into a cache

i also have a birdhouse ready to but out.

another option is making it fun to find by making it offset.

the first set of coordinates lead you to something with a code like morse or braille or something like that

they translate and then find it!

plenty of fun

even if something seems really unacheiveable just keep it in mind till somethin just hits ya!

ive had plenty of fun dreaming up new and fun caches.

one of mine is a drilled out 2x4 with fake bolts. its velcroed to a wooden bridge

another is a coke can i sliced

one of my buddies and i converted a sprinkler head into a cache

i also have a birdhouse ready to but out.

another option is making it fun to find by making it offset.

the first set of coordinates lead you to something with a code like morse or braille or something like that

they translate and then find it!

plenty of fun

even if something seems really unacheiveable just keep it in mind till somethin just hits ya!

How did you make the sprinkler head, i've thought of doing this myself but am just wondering how did you do it?