Caching Holidays

Having just booked our summer holiday I was just wondering where the worst places to go (from a caching point of view) are ...

We booked Cuba, with a grand total of 7 caches in the whole country and the chance of having your GPSr confiscated by Customs.

Not my idea, obviously. I think Mr Midnight Rambler is trying to tell me something. B)

Antarctica? B)

...and the chance of having your GPSr confiscated by Customs.

I'm going to Cuba in May. I too have concerns about the GPSr Customs thing. Is this true? Anyone know? It makes sense with GPS being US technology and I seem to recall that the US and Cuba aren't the best of buddies! B)

If it is true, I am wondering about buying a cheap GPSr in CASE it should get seized. I don't want to risk my 60CS, but I can't go to another country and NOT get a cache! B)

I'm going to Cuba in May. I too have concerns about the GPSr Customs thing. Is this true? Anyone know? It makes sense with GPS being US technology and I seem to recall that the US and Cuba aren't the best of buddies! B)

Yes it is true. We found it in the small print somewhere the other day. However, I have closely examined the descriptions of the caches I will be near (all 2 of them) and they have very detailed hints becasue they expect people to be looking for them without a GPSr.

We're going in May too - maybe we could hold an event B)B)

If it is true, I am wondering about buying a cheap GPSr in CASE it should get seized. I don't want to risk my 60CS, but I can't go to another country and NOT get a cache! B)

You can't find any caches if you've been arrested for espionage using a GPS B)B)

Having just booked our summer holiday I was just wondering where the worst places to go (from a caching point of view) are ...

We booked Cuba, with a grand total of 7 caches in the whole country and the chance of having your GPSr confiscated by Customs.

Not my idea, obviously. I think Mr Midnight Rambler is trying to tell me something. B)

Cuba is a wonderful country to visit - we went a few years ago and really want to go back. We weren't caching then so we'll have to go back at some point!

Cuba would be an absolute nightmare for caching. The locals will not leave you alone in their quest for $$ handouts. To slope off and do caches under these conditions is almost impossible. You will have to forget caching while you are there, but at least it means you can give your full attention to drinking mojitos :unsure:

Might get a few FTF's around north Gloucestershire then :unsure: When did you say you were going?

H

Have a great time both :D:D

Not a chance. With Midnight Ramblers out of the way I will be there :(<_<:unsure::(

ayepee

My holiday last may was in Armenia.

At the time the nearest cache was IIRC in Georgia (the post-Soviet country, not the American state)

Now there are two caches in Yerevan, set in July two months after I was thre.

Coppers Lot and I have booked our main holiday.. to Halkidiki.

There are TWO caches there, once was published in Nov 07 and is still waiting for a FTF.

We've planned our other holidays in better places!

*sniff*

PS: When I went to Cuba they had security guards at the hotel with guns and wouldn't let any locals in and advised us not to go out.. :)

I went to Cuba for 3 weeks about 8 years ago, hiring a car and visiting several different places. I think you are perfectly safe there, even in the evening/night (perhaps do some night caching :) ). As I said before though, you get hassled like crazy. Funnily enough in Hanava you get hassled less than the places out of the way. It is a very good holiday destination (scenery, music, drinks, crumbling architecture etc) but the hassling is disappointing, despite being understandable. You end up being on the defensive at all times. All things considered, am I glad I went? Yes.