Mailbox Peak Vandalism

Forty-n-Eight

I was looking at the cache page for Mailbox Peak Summit (GCP0K3) and was bummed to read the latest log:

November 9 by elpez7 (5 found)

What a hike. Right when I got to the top the clouds opened up to an amazing view. Tapped the rockies, mmmm so delicious.

I am sad to say that some a**holes ripped the two mailboxs out and threw them down the back side of the mt. I found one post and some other wood but never found the actual boxes. So sad. Someone needs to replace them as there needs to be a mailbox at the top of mailbox peek. SOBs.

It's incredible to me that someone would hike all the way up there just to destroy the mailboxes. There's snow up there right now, but if anyone wants to share the burden of replacing the mailbox when the weather is right, contact me and we'll do it.

I was looking at the cache page for Mailbox Peak Summit (GCP0K3) and was bummed to read the latest log:

November 9 by elpez7 (5 found)

What a hike. Right when I got to the top the clouds opened up to an amazing view. Tapped the rockies, mmmm so delicious.

I am sad to say that some a**holes ripped the two mailboxs out and threw them down the back side of the mt. I found one post and some other wood but never found the actual boxes. So sad. Someone needs to replace them as there needs to be a mailbox at the top of mailbox peek. SOBs.

It's incredible to me that someone would hike all the way up there just to destroy the mailboxes. There's snow up there right now, but if anyone wants to share the burden of replacing the mailbox when the weather is right, contact me and we'll do it.

Let me know when you want to go. My neighborhood is swithching to gang boxes so I have a mailbox to donate.

Fantastic then. Looks like we have mailboxes and able bodies. I'll keep an eye on the snow (I can see Mailbox from my house) and get something together when we don't have to risk our lives getting up there.

What about new caches - was there a cache in/around either mailbox that needs replacing too? I could help with that, or with carrying a mailbox.

The cache at the summit was there - the person who posted the log about the missing mailboxes found it. I was up there just a few weeks ago and the caches in the area were in good shape. But, you're certainly welcome to help lug a mailbox or a post up. I'm going to work this week to get the materials in order so we can hit the peak when the time is right.

Here's some history about the mailboxes that the director of the camp below the peak told me:

The mailbox that is/was up there is the third one that I know of. The original one with Dr. Suess "Green Eggs and Ham" in it was taken about 8-9 years ago.

Then a person took on the job of replacing the mailbox and put a coffee table picture book of mailboxes in it. That book was taken and mailbox thrown over the edge of the hill the summer of 2005.

The pictures that I saw from someone this last September showed a mailbox on a post and I don't know if there was a book in it or not. We aren't sure how that mailbox got there.

I do know that WTA (Washington Trails Assoc.) takes care of a lot of trails in the valley and I am assuming they care for Mailbox peak. There have been postings on their website when things were vandalized on the Mailbox trail. You might go there for more info or help.

The parking lot at the end of the asphalt has been the new vandalism lot according to the Sheriff.

There is also a person that either the Greenway or Earthcorp has contracted with that is re-designing the trail to the top. It will be much more gentle and about twice as long. Work is suppose to start possibly this next summer if funding is still available.

If you choose to go up in the winter, there is grave danger of avalanches on the top third.

I just checked the WTA trail reports for Mailbox Peak. The mailboxes were still there on Oct. 31 - there's a trip report with a photo of one of them.

Five days later, Nov. 5, another trip report asked, "What happened to the mailboxes?"

So, the mailboxes apparently went AWOL sometime Nov. 1-4.

I just checked the WTA trail reports for Mailbox Peak. The mailboxes were still there on Oct. 31 - there's a trip report with a photo of one of them.

Five days later, Nov. 5, another trip report asked, "What happened to the mailboxes?"

I also heard that the fire hydrant and ladder were removed. Anyone got an extra one of those? <_<

You probably should use a metal post with a concrete base. Still up for it?

I also heard that the fire hydrant and ladder were removed. Anyone got an extra one of those? <_<

You probably should use a metal post with a concrete base. Still up for it?

I didn't see either the fire hydrant nor the ladder when I was up there last year.