New Benchmark Contest

GEO*Trailblazer 1

PID numbers could be used.

If you generate a list (say 100 number) of 4 digit numbers that could be combined with the "Local" PID prefix to identify the needed benchmarks.

Of course most 4 digit PID numbers start with either 0, 1, or 2, so that means some adjustment would be needed to use the generator.

Do they have a generator that will generate a number between 0 and 29?

Thinking,

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

Without GC.com's list of PIDs, a random number generator would generate PIDs that are not in the database.

A list of all PIDs in the NGS database as of October 2006 (or any date before that) could be gotten without much trouble with a serial number for each (like GX1234 would have the serial number 213783) and then those could be selected randomly.

The problem is, some NGS PIDs are not included in the GC.com database for a so-far unknown reason.

Here's a generator that will generate numbers for use as PID#s. You enter 0000 as the lower limit and 2999 as the upper limit. Any 2 or 3 digit numbers you would just add "0"s to make it a 4 digit number.

Using this method the numbers would not be available to everyone. For instance 2154 might work with DG (as in DG2154), but not with NR (as in NR2154). But if a list of 200 or so numbers were generated it would give everyone a decent number of benchmarks to hunt using their local PID# prefix.

John

A list of all PIDs in the NGS database as of October 2006 (or any date before that) could be gotten without much trouble with a serial number for each (like GX1234 would have the serial number 213783) and then those could be selected randomly.

The only problem with giving each PID# a serial number is the probability that some contestants will have few to no benchmarks in the list to hunt for and others will have quite a few to use.

Using just the 4 digit numbers allows any PID prefix to be used.

Just add your local PID prefix and the number of zeros needed to make it a four digit number and you are set to begin your search. Not all numbers would apply to all areas, but there would be enough to give everyone a reasonable chance of scoring.

Row # A

1 41 (would be 0041)

2 2447

3 2601

4 2302

5 775 (would be 0775)

6 1032

7 2136

8 1021

9 1636

10 2657

11 2693

12 464

13 2794

14 1870

15 1617

16 2603

17 381

18 943

19 912

20 2676

21 2090

22 992

23 2344

24 2557

25 1909

26 763

Our local county has at least 8 different PID prefixes so each number could have up to 8 or more different benchmarks associated with it.

John

Random numbers

Each value was randomly selected, with an equal chance

of choosing any integer between 000 and 200.

Row #..A........B.........C...........D..............E

1. GF0147 GF0095 GF0107 GF0067 GF0153

2. GF0186 GF0141 GF0194 GF0166 GF0156

3. GF0040 GF0115 GF0073 GF0018 GF0120

4. GF0097 GF0168 GF0007 GF0063 GF0018

5. GF0063 GF0109 GF0186 GF0079 GF0090

6. GF0130 GF0088 GF0132 GF0073 GF0136

7. GF0024 GF0006 GF0193 GF0132 GF0163

8. GF0135 GF0102 GF0161 GF0034 GF0026

9. GF0191 GF0137 GF0144 GF0157 GF0046

10. GF0182 GF0176 GF0008 GF0118 GF0144

I added the GF0 and GF00.

Like you say each place has a few PID's and could be substituted for your area.

I only added a short list for ease of explanation and editing.

I have a word ans an XL spread sheet worked up on this particular example if anyone wants it.

Hmmm.... Interesting.

In my area, there are multiple (maybe 10) prefixes in common use within reasonable driving range (say, 50 miles?). This is because of the number and "density" of marks. So limiting me to one prefix would be problematic (as so many are "urbanized" = gone). So, I say: add the prefix of your choice to the random 4 digit number (with leading zeros). Is there a need to limit the radius from home? I don't see any particular reason to do so, but some might perceive an advantage for me being in so dense an area....

Of course, we need the usual bonus points for old & very old, prior DNF, error log, etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

The problem is, some NGS PIDs are not included in the GC.com database for a so-far unknown reason.

Not sure that I've encountered this before... Somehow, I ended up with KU0804 on my list to search for this weekend. It's a DNF on NGS, but does not appear on GC.com. The statue has been moved. The abuse of eminent domain for urban renewal is rampant in Long Branch. But it's not on gc.com! And the president wa James Garfield, not John

For something more universal how about a world-wide "benchmark" hunting contest?

1st for the US no benchmark in the NGS list would be allowed. Any other benchmark disk would qualify provided it had an agency name, designation, date, or some combination there of. Just think of it, seeing a benchmark and hoping it's NOT in the NGS database!

2nd anyone in another country could claim finds for any disk that has some type of ID stamped into the disk.

3rd coordinates and condition and pictures would be needed for the logging/scoring of the contest.

Most countries have some type of national surveying agencies and they could help provide lists of the benchmarks for those that choose to participate in the contest.

The hard part is how to log benchmarks from around the world so the judges could "Easily" scoring the finds. Maybe BDT could come up with a category on the Waymaking site just for contest marks? Or maybe someone who has access to extra web-space would be willing to chime in here.

Just another possibility for another contest, maybe, suggestions?

John & Shirley

Here's a different idea for a contest premise and I don't know how reasonable it is but has anyone thought of having the contest based on the year stamped on the disk? Maybe 10 years is a "hand" and see how many hands can be accrued? Maybe bonus for a hand of a year older than 19XX and of course DNFs? Just a rough idea from a slightly different angle. Is it worth pursuing?

2oldfarts (the rockhounders) -

At least in the very few countries that have Waymarking categories for their benchmarks, most of them are not disks. Usually they are some sort of monument. Canada has lots of disks, but I think the others don't.

Here is the gallery for the UK benchmarks. From a quick look at a couple of pages, I don't see any disks, or even designations as we know them.

The same-designation idea is interesting. I doubt there's much intersection, though.

At least in the very few countries that have Waymarking categories for their benchmarks, most of them are not disks. Usually they are some sort of monument. Canada has lots of disks, but I think the others don't.

Here is the gallery for the UK benchmarks. From a quick look at a couple of pages, I don't see any disks, or even designations as we know them.

The same-designation idea is interesting. I doubt there's much intersection, though.

Any ideas on how they could be verified as to finding and/or age of the benchmark? Do you know if they have designations (not necessarily on the marks) to identify the individual marks? Do they have the equivalent of a datasheet that they use?

Perhaps some of the overseas benchmarkers will offer some information on what they use to identify the benchmarks.

John

Any ideas on how they could be verified as to finding and/or age of the benchmark? Do you know if they have designations (not necessarily on the marks) to identify the individual marks? Do they have the equivalent of a datasheet that they use?

Perhaps some of the overseas benchmarkers will offer some information on what they use to identify the benchmarks.

John

Here is the whole list.

BENCHMARKS WAYMARK CATEGORIES

ADDED:

The Waymark number could be used.

I am still looking.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

Hmmm.... Interesting.

In my area, there are multiple (maybe 10) prefixes in common use within reasonable driving range (say, 50 miles?). This is because of the number and "density" of marks. So limiting me to one prefix would be problematic (as so many are "urbanized" = gone). So, I say: add the prefix of your choice to the random 4 digit number (with leading zeros). Is there a need to limit the radius from home? I don't see any particular reason to do so, but some might perceive an advantage for me being in so dense an area....

Thoughts?

Yes, don't like one prefix. I'm at the north end of KV. I frequently head east into KU, or north into LY.

Here's a different idea for a contest premise and I don't know how reasonable it is but has anyone thought of having the contest based on the year stamped on the disk? Maybe 10 years is a "hand" and see how many hands can be accrued? Maybe bonus for a hand of a year older than 19XX and of course DNFs? Just a rough idea from a slightly different angle. Is it worth pursuing?

Hmmmm - interesting also. One from each year could be fun.

Hmm, well a couple things come to mind...

Dominoes: do the longest domino string using designations (either forward or backward), like:

H 153 --- 37 G --- Greene RM 1 --- 17 XE --- ELLIVXONK --- K 132 ...

Most perfect square: get 4 marks whose coordinates (the ones on the datasheet, not those you measure) are the best possible square. (A square's quality is measured by first averaging the lengths of all 4 sides, then adding the (absolute value) of the 4 differences between the length of that side and the average together with the difference between the 2 diagonal's lengths.) Example:

sides: 3.8, 3.9, 4.1, 4.0 average is: 3.95, sum of differences is: 0.4, difference between the 2 diagonals: 0.3, giving a total score for the square of 0.4 + 0.3 = 0.7

PID Progression: accumulate marks such that the numeric parts of their PIDs add up to: 1111, 2222, 3333, 4444, etc. up to 9999, getting all 9 first (using the same PID more than once is OK). Example: GH0101 and GH1000 and GI 0010 add up to 1111,

GH1000 and GI 1201 and GI0021 add up to 2222, etc.

Best rose: do 9 stations to make the best compass rose with directions from the center station to the 8 outer stations being nearest to 0+x, 45+x, 90+x, ... where x is a rotation of the rose that doesn't matter to the contest. (Line lengths don't matter, only the angles matter.) Add the absolute value differences, like adding absolute values of d1+d2 in: 0+x+d1, 45+x+d2, ...

Edited by Black Dog Trackers

Dominoes & PID sums would be easier for whomever the scorekeepers and judges will be. The Best Rose and Perfect Square sound very interesting and fun, but would be very difficult to score or judge, would it not?

All of the ideas so far sound doable and should generate a lot of fun. We want to play this time around and would like for someone to volunteer to be scorekeepers and judges. We will help in any other way we could.

Shirley~

Sorry to be a contrarian (some would say a whiner) but -

None of these schemes particularly attract me since the selection criteria has no relation as to why I enjoy Benchmarking or to the mark itself. Take for example the domino idea; the number or letter at the start or end of the designation is arbitrary and unrelated to anything I'm interested in. Same for random PIDs, squares, compass rose (or the poker contest for that matter) even though these ideas are quite clever, even ingenious in their own way.

What interests me is (in no particular order) old marks, unusual marks, hard to get to marks, very hard to get to marks :ph34r:, all the marks in a county, stations that are not disks (squares, bolts, etc.), boundary monuments, historic marks or from historic surveys, triangulation stations with all the RMs and AZ, etc. In other words something about the mark!

There are too many stations to bag them all (although I tried in my home county) so I select on these points of interest. The last time I tried to do a contest was the one with extra points for old marks. I came up with a bunch of 19th century IBC marks and I was happy to do that. The contest for the most different marker types was also interesting but I started too late for that one.

I don't know how I would put my interests into a contest but I'm thinking about it. But contests that reward arbitrary names or numbers don't do it for me, sorry.

But for those for whom this sounds like fun, enjoy!

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Sorry to be a contrarian (some would say a whiner) but -

None of these schemes particularly attract me since the selection criteria has no relation as to why I enjoy Benchmarking or to the mark itself. Take for example the domino idea; the number or letter at the start or end of the designation is arbitrary and unrelated to anything I'm interested in. Same for random PIDs, squares, compass rose (or the poker contest for that matter) even though these ideas are quite clever, even ingenious in their own way.

What interests me is (in no particular order) old marks, unusual marks, hard to get to marks, very hard to get to marks :ph34r:, all the marks in a county, stations that are not disks (squares, bolts, etc.), boundary monuments, historic marks or from historic surveys, triangulation stations with all the RMs and AZ, etc. In other words something about the mark!

There are too many stations to bag them all (although I tried in my home county) so I select on these points of interest. The last time I tried to do a contest was the one with extra points for old marks. I came up with a bunch of 19th century IBC marks and I was happy to do that. The contest for the most different marker types was also interesting but I started too late for that one.

I don't know how I would put my interests into a contest but I'm thinking about it. But contests that reward arbitrary names or numbers don't do it for me, sorry.

But for those for whom this sounds like fun, enjoy!

Perhaps we could utilize the Hippo List again. We used the 'Monumentation (Marker) Code' before - not very many people got to play in that contest mainly because it was the first one and not promoted or thought up and discussed as well as the others. It was a very interesting way to find those old and unusual marks. Or we could go with the 'Setting (Class) Code' that would also be challenging.

These lists could also be used along with several ideas already brought up. Maybe.

Shirley~

Maybe we could do an extreme Benchmark Challenge.

Using the Age & last recovery.

Miles Traveled.

Miles in.

If we were to do something like this we should make a longer playing period so those in extreme areas have an equal chance say August to September.

I know we all plan on vacations during the summer months so we could work some of them into our regular activities.

Just some ideas.

I am not stuck on one thing just want to get all that could or would be interested in it.

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

maybe put in about 10 factors to add the score; i.e. say 1 point for 80s mark, 2 for 70s, etc back to 10 or more for pre 1900, etc. along with points for years since being reported, for DNF, plus some levels of difficulty such as terrain, etc. Each mark could be judged against 10 or so criteria with extra maybe for having the entire group, station, Rms, Az, etc.

Just some things to kick around that wouldn't depend on some random thing. A longer time would also have to go with all the extra criteria.

If scoring is complicated, get the contestants to do their own scoring! It could be part of the contest. :)

Longest string of years: log a mark that's monumented in each year. The person with the longest string of monumentation years wins. For instance monumentation dates: 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, etc. would have a score of 17. Has that one been suggested already?

If scoring is complicated, get the contestants to do their own scoring! It could be part of the contest. :(

Longest string of years: log a mark that's monumented in each year. The person with the longest string of monumentation years wins. For instance monumentation dates: 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, etc. would have a score of 17. Has that one been suggested already?

So BDT, how would you set up the contest where the contestants do their own scoring? That sounds intriguing, and then the judge would have to check those also? And what about a weekly update that shows how all of the contestants are doing? (See, I am just full of questions). Also which type of contest idea is your favorite and would you consider joining us and becoming a contestant yourself? We all would like that.

fossillady, I am sure everyone is very pleased that you have offered to be scorekeeper. I know we are. Thank you very much. Once everyone decides on just the right contest and you have the chance to rethink your offer, everyone will understand if you decide not to undertake this time consuming venture.

Shirley~

So BDT, how would you set up the contest where the contestants do their own scoring? That sounds intriguing, and then the judge would have to check those also? And what about a weekly update that shows how all of the contestants are doing? (See, I am just full of questions). Also which type of contest idea is your favorite and would you consider joining us and becoming a contestant yourself? We all would like that.
Welllll, actually I was joining the contest of 'what could be a possible contest?'. :(

I'm not much of a contestant or contest organizer really. I prefer just learning about benchmarks, benchmark finding, and some of the technicalities and math of surveying.

Of course, I'm all for people having fun with contests, or however people want to have fun. :)

I guess we should try to narrow down the ideas to just a couple and then hash out some rules to see how each would run. Geo, since this is your thread, start off with the ideas you like the best.

We also need someone to volunteer to be the judge. Anyone interested? It could be someone either not in the contest or one of the contestants. It really doesn't matter in the judging. The scorekeeper could judge the judge's posts, as Astro D Team did for us a couple of contests ago. (and Yes we did get a PM from Katrina) It is a good bunch of people who really try to follow the rules. This last contest, we hardly sent out any "Dreaded PMs from John". <_<

Shirley~

<_< Wowzers finding em is hard enough in my area (everything is changing so fast here). I guess after finding some that were in the GC Database then actually adding them to the hunts along with Waymarks trying to locate them all in a given area we were happy but made it hard to accomplish in an outing. But we've found and taken pictures of 5 times as many that aren't listed in the Database that we couldn't log and found this to be disappointing... We're still to new to this I guess. But we're finding it's just way to much to pack into our hunts. Because Waymarks are their own separate entity not sure it's worth it either. If I'm going through the effort I'd like to at least log the find - doing caches is so much more organized and rewarding.

I guess I'm saying from a Newbie standpoint if it were a contest like some listed above it would be far to complicated to bother with. I would stick to KISS - JMHO / Maybe it's not intended for newbies...

If I'm going through the effort I'd like to at least log the find - doing caches is so much more organized and rewarding.

I guess I'm saying from a Newbie standpoint if it were a contest like some listed above it would be far to complicated to bother with. I would stick to KISS - JMHO / Maybe it's not intended for newbies...

One of the challenges of bench mark hunting as opposed to geocaching is that the "targets" were not set there for us to find them, but rather for another purpose (surveying, map making, etc.) and since they have been being put there for well over 150 years, some (many) will be lost.

OTOH: how many geocaches have you found that have been there for 170 years? How many have you found that you are the first one to find it in close to 100 years? When I find one of those, THAT's the pleasure of this hobby. I've found a city monument where I live that was set in 1820. I've found a rock by the Hudson River that was inscribed by surveyors in 1773! Neither one is in the database. Logging them and "getting credit for them" is just to impress your friends. <_<

Apples and Oranges.

I guess we should try to narrow down the ideas to just a couple and then hash out some rules to see how each would run. Geo, since this is your thread, start off with the ideas you like the best.

We also need someone to volunteer to be the judge. Anyone interested? It could be someone either not in the contest or one of the contestants. It really doesn't matter in the judging. The scorekeeper could judge the judge's posts, as Astro D Team did for us a couple of contests ago. (and Yes we did get a PM from Katrina) It is a good bunch of people who really try to follow the rules. This last contest, we hardly sent out any "Dreaded PMs from John". <_<

Shirley~

How do you know I am reading all this? :ph34r:

I am taking in all comments and still pondering.

I think we also need to keep in mind those who are just learning about benchmarking.

After all we are trying(I am) to get more interest in our sport.

On that note It should be kept fairly simple.

I like all the ideas.

I could make a spread sheet for everyone to keep their own score if we go that way.

I like the string of years like BDT mentioned.

Let me ponder a while longer and I will come up with a proposal.

Dunno. So far, most of the ideas do not interest me. Though I have participated in all contests so far. It was the royal flushes and straight flushes that made the last contest interesting. I'd never gone for lines before. And we had fun digging next to the guard rail on Rte 97 in Sullivan County! Believe it or not. We just had to find that one! (Even Deb was impressed.)

Maybe I'll sit the next one out. Or (shudder) volunteer to judge. (Though I'm usually busy on weekends.) And being a Scorpio, I can be quite a stickler. I would not have allowed three of my entries in the last contest! :anicute:

Hey John:

Here a few other copuntries on the old DusyJacket site (now hosted by Buckner Creel):

The one from Japan is ours. Australia is there with a disc.

Canada has has them also. I'm not sure about UK & Ireland, I got bored flipping thru the stone & conrete ones on Waymarking. There are a few others on Waymarking. We know Malaysia does, because they are using this forum as a Waymarking site.

Nice idea too open a contest up to other counties also, but I'm not sure how practical it would be. Translation could be interesting. But if there is a choice, something that works for other countries would be a plus.

Klem

Did a check of those sites and came up with a list of 12 countries that use disk and/or plaques as benchmarks. If stone monuments were allowed then the list increase by a few more.

The question of verification or lack there of comes up. I wonder if just accepting the entrants word that it is a survey marker would suffice, since there are already examples of different types of stone markers and metal benchmarks on Waymarking, and other sites.

Do other countries have maps that show the locations of benchmarks. Are they similar to our USGS Topo maps if they do?

Would there even be enough interest for a world wide contest?

Still pondering,

John

Did a check of those sites and came up with a list of 12 countries that use disk and/or plaques as benchmarks. If stone monuments were allowed then the list increase by a few more.

The question of verification or lack there of comes up. I wonder if just accepting the entrants word that it is a survey marker would suffice, since there are already examples of different types of stone markers and metal benchmarks on Waymarking, and other sites.

Do other countries have maps that show the locations of benchmarks. Are they similar to our USGS Topo maps if they do?

Would there even be enough interest for a world wide contest?

Still pondering,

John

If things get opened up so the NGS list is not the standard, then you could open things up to non-NGS US markers. I could probably come up with a hundred of those in New York City alone.

As in all these categories, validation and verification issues come up. I think most folks (including me) like to view a contest as requiring a higher level of verification then say just logging something on GC.com. Yes it's just a hobby and it's just for fun, but with real prizes we like to think there is a level playing field. Not a absolutist position, but worth some thoughts.

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

If things get opened up so the NGS list is not the standard, then you could open things up to non-NGS US markers. I could probably come up with a hundred of those in New York City alone.

As in all these categories, validation and verification issues come up. I think most folks (including me) like to view a contest as requiring a higher level of verification then say just logging something on GC.com. Yes it's just a hobby and it's just for fun, but with real prizes we like to think there is a level playing field. Not a absolutist position, but worth some thoughts.

We had considered using non-NGS benchmarks to try to keep things even.

The verification process is where we are having trouble coming up with a system that would work world-wide. This was the reason asking about the maps. If they have maps that show the benchmarks then a cross-reference could be established on that point, but it would still be a problem verifying that the mark pictured is the one on the map.

We could limit it to just the US & 1 or 2 other countries that have databases available to the public. Or may be it just isn't viable at this time.

How do we get input from those in other countries?

John

John:

The main form menu page has forums for a whole bunch of countries, and a "catch all" forum for the rest. If you really want to, you could cut / paste a standard invite on all of them, see what comes of it (when the time comes).

If a participant in the country wants to play, maybe make THEM prove the benchmark in some way (database, map, pic of GPS with mark, etc) to the satisfaction of the (always reasonable) judge(s). English will have to be the common language. If it comes to it, I could probably cover 20+ languages (in writing, not spoken) in my company, and I'm willing to help.

Like Papa-bear, I could come up with quite a few non-NGS marks. Use Waymarking to log them. Sure could pump up Waymarking. Maybe USGS recoveries, also. Just go with age bonuses and quantity. Maybe they MUST be non-NGS?.... nah.....

Klem

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

Yup. The ground is still snow-covered, and even worse, the ground is still frozen. Though I did see the narcissus poking out of the ground, and snow drops blooming in Central Park yesterday! Give it a few more weeks.

BTW, is it appropriate to go and delete all my notes for benchmarks from the last two contests? They tend to clutter the pages. Though, if I do that, I won't know which ones I've made notes for (and therefore not good for the next contest, if I choose to compete again).

Yup. The ground is still snow-covered, and even worse, the ground is still frozen. Though I did see the narcissus poking out of the ground, and snow drops blooming in Central Park yesterday! Give it a few more weeks.

BTW, is it appropriate to go and delete all my notes for benchmarks from the last two contests? They tend to clutter the pages. Though, if I do that, I won't know which ones I've made notes for (and therefore not good for the next contest, if I choose to compete again).

Harry, the last contest was less than a year ago and therefore those notes should stay if the new contest has a clause about revisiting any benchmark from a year or more ago.

Also, it might be prudent to ask Holograph about the impact on the stats by deleting any notes about revisits.

It doesn't matter to John & I at all, if you want to wipe all memory of past contests that you participated in - good, bad or ugly. :):)