Hexham, Northumberland

JohnTee

Just to keep this on topic :) I'll mention that I'm hoping to do some geocaching in the Hexham, Northumberland area next July. I've got a page bookmarked with links to geocaches in that area, and will keep watching that as time draws closer. Otherwise . . .

Can anyone recommend things to do in that part of England? Not the water/theme park kind of thing. I know Hadrian's Wall is nearby . . . We'll either fly into Manchester or one of the London airports, be a week in the Hexham area and maybe several days to a week in, or around, the London area before or after our visit in Hexham. Feel free to e-mail me off link, if this is not appropriate for the U.K. forum, or moderator can move it to 'Off Topic'.

Looking forward to Bangers and Mash . . .

JohnTee

JohnTee, what kind of things are you in to?

There are some really good caches in Northumberland if you like a long walk. The scenery is stunning as well.

If you don't like walking then there is a lot less to do, but if you are in to local history then we have a lot of that. http://www.visitnortheastengland.com/ is a good place to start.

If you need a good watering hole, then we can give you a list, but we will need to check they are still okay before hand. ;-)

Edited because I put the wrong link on.

Edited by alistair_uk

JohnTee, what kind of things are you in to?

There are some really good caches in Northumberland if you like a long walk. The scenery is stunning as well.

If you don't like walking then there is a lot less to do, but if you are in to local history then we have a lot of that. http://www.tourismnortheast.co.uk/ is a good place to start.

If you need a good watering hole, then we can give you a list, but we will need to check they are still okay before hand. ;-)

Hi alistair_uk,

Well, we don't golf and won't be water skiing, which were a couple of the options available where we will be staying. I do enjoy biking and hiking; while my wife is not much on geocaching, I might be able to talk her into a walk or two. We do enjoy . . .

Eating. Especially good local stuff. I can hit McDonald's in the states! :)

I would be interested in some good local beers

Things of historical nature, like Hadrian's Wall, museums, etc. - THANKS for the link for tourism. That will be a great start.

Spectacular natural vistas and scenery . . . maybe those caches WILL fit in!

I'm at the library now, so will go look for a Fodor's for England and do a little research. I wanted to ask here, hoping I might be able to find out about something in the area that just doesn't pup up on the usual tourism radar screen. Our plans are indefinite at present, other than being in Hexham July 12-19.

Again, thanks.

JohnTee

Dont forget your waterproofs though will you.

Go see our castles, more up here than anywhere else in the world. We did like a good castle. Also have some good haunted houses. What I love about this place is you can drive (off the beaten track) and find some excellent spots. A lot of the caches take you to some really lovely areas. Shaftoe Crags is worth a special mention, great area and the remains of a iron/bronze age village (ok a few stones) + the walk isnt too far.

If you get the chance head towards Alwinton and try to get up on to the moors, Rothbury nearby had a big battle between the English and Scots (so did lots of other places round here),and has lots of history and Pubs. Cragside is close, first house to have electricty and the grounds are nice.

Chillingham hall is the most haunted house in the UK maybe even Europe.

The list goes on and on, we are still largely undiscovered by tourists and so no big tourist attractions.

Enjoy your stay.

I'd also like to suggest getting into the Tyne & Wear Metro area see www.tyneandwearmetro.co.uk - buy a day pass and do some of the micros, one for each station, I think. And head to Tynemouth for a couple of good caches, with fantastic view across the mouth of the River Tyne (surprisingly enough, given the place name!), beaches for swimming & surfing etc. You can use your day pass on the ferry between North Shields and South Shields - South Shields has Arbeia reconstructed Roman Fort - see www.twmuseums.org.uk/arbeia

Dont forget your waterproofs though will you.

(much good stuff deleted)

The list goes on and on, we are still largely undiscovered by tourists and so no big tourist attractions.

Enjoy your stay.

Hi wolfshead,

Are my waterproofs my rubbers or my raincoat? :( We'll be there in July . . . will I need either?

Castles would be high on the list of things to see and haunted houses sound interesting too. The moors also sound interesting . . . seems like Sherlock Holmes got involved in some moors . . . same area or are there lots of moors? "Lord, what's a moor?" Round here bouts we got us swamps and they'se filled with mosquitos the size of small birds and snakes . . . :( I'm creating a list of possible things to do and everything you guys mention is getting added to it. Won't get to ALL of them, but I suspect I some of those 'undiscovered' ares could really make the trip! Feel free to add to the list.

JohnTee

I'd also like to suggest getting into the Tyne & Wear Metro area see www.tyneandwearmetro.co.uk - buy a day pass and do some of the micros, one for each station, I think. And head to Tynemouth for a couple of good caches, with fantastic view across the mouth of the River Tyne (surprisingly enough, given the place name!), beaches for swimming & surfing etc. You can use your day pass on the ferry between North Shields and South Shields - South Shields has Arbeia reconstructed Roman Fort - see www.twmuseums.org.uk/arbeia

Hi Copepod,

Thanks for those links. I'm bookmarking fast and furious and plan to explore tomorrow from work when I'm on satellite. Slowish on websites, but faster than my dial-up at home!

Having read some fiction that takes place about the time the Romans were getting run off of Hadrian's Wall, the wall and a fort, reconstructed or otherwise, would be a neat addition.

JohnTee

Edited by JohnTee

compared to america,to which i have never been, i think you will find an awful lot of things close by. 2 hours radius from hexham gives you a lot of scope. coast to coast, scotland to yorkshire. enjoy your stay. hey, call in for a cuppa!( bishop auckland)

Hi chrissyboy2241,

Yes, America IS huge and I've seen a little of it myself. Really just scratched the surface of my own country! :( Looks like you're roughly 60km from Hexham? O.K., "a cuppa"? Is that tea? What sizes do beer come in? Pint and 1/2 Pint? If we get down that way I'll try to take you up on a cuppa, whatever that is . . . I'm game!

Guys, I appreciate all your input and discussion. Want to talk about food? The only things I know are Bangers and Mash and Fish and Chips . . .

JohnTee

You're probably obligated to visit Alnwick and take a tour of Alnwick castle. It was Hogwarts in the Harry Potter movie, and it's been in quite a few other movies as well. There's TB lodge near it as well, GCWW93.

I highly recommend the Salmon Station cache, GCNB2G.

A few other really good cache locations are:

Caller Crag, GCPBK6

You can see my house from here!, GCKNNJ

Manners Makyth Man, GCPV2H

Greyfiars Bobby, GCJKTR in Edinburgh is an interesting cemetary and the story of Bobby is pretty amazing.

Have fun!

I'm headed there next month.

Yes you will need waterproofs in July in England, nothing too extreme though just something you can chuck in a daysack or boot of a car should get you through the day. If you get caught on the hills or moors then believe me a set of waterproofs will be a god send.

Now as for food.

Stotties, a local flat bread should be tried.

Craster Kippers, its a smoked fish.

Wensleydale Cheese, of Wallace and Grommit fame.

Cumbrian Sasauge.

Steak and Ale Pie (most pubs do this on their menu)

Sunday Roast (loads of pubs do a good one of these)

Try some local beers, none of the lager or American stuff that is invading our shores and pretends its beer. You should be able to find so many places doing this and shops that sell more varieties than I could ever mention. You may even be able to pick up some Christmas Pudding Ale to take back with you.

The Metro centre has a Whiskey store that stocks 100s of different Whiskeys that should be able to find one that will suit anyones tatstes. Apart from that avoid that place like it had the plague.

As for what are moor's, well imagine the most desolate place you can think of and you have hit it on the head. The UK has loads and loads of moors all different all unique to the local area, and all great for leaving crowds behind. Best i can think of is the film the Hound of the Baskervilles and there you have a moor.

The poor Roman soldiers must have hated to be stationed up here.

Just Thought, a spot for you to go to to get a feel of what they had to put up with is Vindolanda, its possibly the best Roman dig in Europe (well I think so). They will be digging there for years and years and years yet. Then from there go to Steel rigg to get a feel of the wall. This I reckon is the best spot on the wall. I walk here 2 or 3 times a year and the views are stunning, and its free to walk the wall remember. The beauty of this spot is a short walk takes you along the wall so you can see what the Romans saw then the return takes you through the area from the Picts point of view, and how daunting the wall must have seemed to them.

Anyway enjoy your trip and lets us know how you found our home.

My fav castles are warkworth castle - really great castle there is also a cache on the short walk to the hermitage which is across the river

I also love belsay it has a great big hall that is empty but often has art exhibtions there and then a nice walk though a quarry garden to the old castle

There is a near by cache at bolam lake which is a pretty place where you often see red squirells

Dunstanbargh castle is a nice walk along the coast - stop at the pub for the craster food there

I think there is also a cache on that walk

You also have aydon castle and prudhoe near by these are all english heritage as are a lot of the sites along hadrians wall

If you pop into newcastle and are on the metro tynemouth priory is a nice visit and a couple of minutes from the metro This is also english heritage

Bedes world is has a nice musuem about Saint Bede and has recreated some of the anglo saxon buidings it has lots of animals to feed and is next to St Paul's Monastery

Saint Bede (venerable bede) is buried at Durham Catherdral which is not to far from hexham and is a really lovely catherdral

If you are interested in higher northuberland holy island is nice it has a lovely beach and lindisfarne priory and castle Saint Cuthbert was bishop of lindifarne

If you like castle that are in ruins edlingham (free to get in) is nice and has a pretty church next to it and mitford (near morpeth) are intresting as is twizel castle

If you want castle that are complete and have a nice history with some interesting stuff inside Raby has a really nice chapel and a lovely dear park and bamburgh is good (and has a cache or two nearby)

If you go into newcastle the castle keep is good and I belive there is a cache near it as well as near the laing art gallery (free art galery)

Its great to see all this input - I've been thinking of going up to the north east myself and this is all providing more info for me to go and visit too! Though I'm gutted :lol: to find out the north-east may have the most castles in the world. I would have thought that honour would have gone to Wales! :lol:

Thanks for the tips - I know they're for our American cousin - but the info its appreciated for peeps down this way too.

Beamish is an absolute must, Kielder is pretty but lots of mosquitoes. Bamburgh is my favourite place on earth.

If you like Indian food there used to be a fabulous restaurant in Corbridge above a book shop opposite the church but it's 12 years since I moved south.

Alnwick gardens and castle is a good day out, be sure to visit the cursed wine bottles in Alnwick!

We walked Hadrians wall in 2004 starting from Newcastle, there were plenty of places to eat the pubs and hotels along the route were all good with great menus so you will have no trouble there. The natives were very kind and helpful too :D

The museums are good we liked the roman army museum and Vindolanda and they are well served by the bus that runs along the route, the AD 122.

If you can only manage one section of wall Housteads would be my choice and or sewingshield crags. :D

We walked Hadrians wall in 2004 starting from Newcastle, there were plenty of places to eat the pubs and hotels along the route were all good with great menus so you will have no trouble there. The natives were very kind and helpful too :D

The museums are good we liked the roman army museum and Vindolanda and they are well served by the bus that runs along the route, the AD 122.

If you can only manage one section of wall Housteads would be my choice and or sewingshield crags. :D

Maybe two then oh and you could check out Robin hoods tree? :D

Maybe two then oh and you could check out Robin hoods tree? :)

That sycamore tree is my fav walk if you want a nice easy one and im sure there is a cache near it

If you are talking about an indian resteraunt in corbride it is probably the valley resteraunt

You get the Passage to India train from town Dont know how long its been open but I know that there have been works outings going on for years to it