What would you like to see?

mousekakat

So, there are a ton of coins out there, birds and fish and designs and cars and personals of all different sorts. They range from beautifully ornate like the Tranquility coin to elegant and simple like the Northern Right Whale to just silly like the Trick or Treat coin or outhouse coin. There are solid coins, spinning coins, mystery coins, you name it (dang I wish I had gotten here 5 years ago and knew that this would go the direction it did, I'd be rich now, at least in my dreams, lol!)

I guess the market is getting a bit saturated, but folks are still enjoying them and buying them, and I love that!

My question is... especially for those of you who don't have the ability to do either a coin or a personal coin, what would you like to see on coins? What about those of you who buy coins - what is it about them that makes you just HAVE to have that coin

I guess I've had about a zillion ideas running around since finding this joint. I thought of a series after coin after series after coin! Thought a series might help it sell better since it was a group, then I wasn't sure and thought just a single, outstanding coin then was just confused :laughing: like that's an odd state for me!

It seems like most things have been done, even as far as your friendly neighborhood outhouse, lol!

So, does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what would be a good coin or what it is exactly that makes a coin not only nice, but also desireable?

Naomi B)

I like all coins - and in my opinion (gleaned from someone I know and respect) if it has a tracking number, and can be placed in a cache - its Geocaching related. :laughing:

Very true.... TBs don't have anything to do with Geocaching except for the Dog Tag & Tracking# and geocoins are nothing more than a squished metal TB. B)B)

I like all coins - and in my opinion (gleaned from someone I know and respect) if it has a tracking number, and can be placed in a cache - its Geocaching related. B)

Of course they will say that, they have sold over a million tracking codes that way... :laughing:

I don't tend to share ideas anymore, since a couple of times my idea has been taken and turned into a coin before I myself made one. Unfortunate, but it happens.

I like all coins - and in my opinion (gleaned from someone I know and respect) if it has a tracking number, and can be placed in a cache - its Geocaching related. B)

Of course they will say that, they have sold over a million tracking codes that way... :laughing:

I don't tend to share ideas anymore, since a couple of times my idea has been taken and turned into a coin before I myself made one. Unfortunate, but it happens.

Hehehe, you should have seen my original post before I edited it for the reason you stated above, lol!

So, Av, what is it that attracts you to a coin, what is that "something special" that you look for or that hooks you or says you just gotta have it? Is it specialty metals or color or a cetain type theme?

I'm honestly interested.

What is it about a coin that just smacks ya upside the hay-ud and makes you say "Dang, I just gotta have that one!?"

Naomi B)

I'd really love to see more handmade/crafted coins produced and accepted by a larger venue of the geocoin community.

Stuff like the Four Spirit Pottery coins, Delft Blue, Scavok, tiki, Petroglyph series, love to see a REAL stained glass coin (mommyfinder? :laughing: ) Stuff like that I love and support 100%. Some would argue that SOME of these are not "geocoins" but I'll go against the grain and argue that they are, as they were all done in the spirit of metal geocoins but techniques/materials are different. Anyhow, I would love to see more of these specialty type "geocoins" done by artists.

As far as metal coins go, think I'll keep my comments to myself B)

I'm kinda biased toward outhouses being a plumber of sorts and all...HA!

Seriously,

I agree with Tsun: I'd love to see more crafted coins.

I like to know the story and the people behind the coins.

I also like the very detailed and the very simple.

Yeah, like that is much help for you...

I'd just follow your heart. If it's an expression of you, then I'd most likely want it in my collection.

I myself prefer the metal coins - I wouldnt want to see coins made out of a breakable substance (ie. REAL glass, etc.) as:

#1 - They likely wont stand the test of time.

#2 - Allowing them to travel wouldn't be wise.

I think every coin SHOULD be able to stand up to the 'rigors' of traveling - since, that was the intent. While handmade items are cute and unique, I just dont know if I would trust them to hold up.

Metal coins for me!

I agree that for me, a coin does not have to be caching related. I think of them as beautiful (or cute, or whatever) travel bugs. I buy and trade for what appeals to me.

I do love the handcrafted sig items too. I won some handmade magnets from Tsun earlier this year, and I cannot tell you how beautiful they are. There isn't a coin out there that I would trade these for.

I like to see the metal on the coins. Call me old-fashioned, (and a hypocrite if you've seen my personal coin), but a coin is first and foremost, squished metal. Some of the recent coins which are covered entirely in enamel don't do it for me. They feel too cartoony. The enamel should be an accent and not the focus, in my opinon.

I like the coins that reflect on the people who create them. If the coin kind of tells a story about the people who made them then I think those are the ones that will really be worth something some day. If you watch the antique road show then you see that the items that have a story attached to them or relates to the person who created the item are the ones that have the biggest price tag on them. They will really be something to remember a person by when they are no longer on this earth.

Stuff like the Four Spirit Pottery coins...

These I really like (and look forward to receiving). I also like the Tranquility coins, the Zodiac final, Luminous Energy, Ellandel's China coin (and Singapore), Dragon spinners, Landsharkz Rock Garden, Earth Turtle, I could go on but I'll spare you :)

While there are others I like as well (such as mudnuri and Red-Handed, some of the Signal coins - not to mention all those dork fish, lol) I think I tend to be drawn to 'coins' with spiritual themes, nature or native cultures. I love the metal coins but the creativity and skill behind the Four Spirit Pottery coins is undeniable. And I do like the idea of a stained-glass coin (to keep, never to circulate - it's the art, you see) :)

I suppose we all have quite the variety of opinion regarding 'beauty'. You know, eye of the beholder and all that. :P And some coins are just plain fun, which is a beauty of it's own. :)

All just my .02 worth :D

-Jesse