New Forest Adders

Following on from threads about snakes earlier in the summer I thought I'd mention this programme which is scheduled for tomorrow evening.

BBC2 Tue 2 Oct, 7:50 pm - 8:00 pm 10mins

Documentary set in the New Forest, one of the few places where all six of the UK's reptile species live. The film follows the life of the adder through a season.

I understand it is a regional offering from BBC2 so I am unsure how far up country will receive it.

Caching with dogs its always worrying.... thats why I carry this:-

<snip image>

Blimey! What's the UK distribution of adders? And where can I find out about bitey creatures in the rest of Europe? I've always taken care along the English South Coast.

That serum looks a bit out of date Bob... :)

Edited by Dizzley

I'm off to Google for the gen on adder sightings.

I can't tell Mrs D about this or she would never come out geocaching ever again. :laughing:

I'm back from the wonder that is Google...

How you can help the adder:

The The Herpetological Conservation Trust's Add An Adder site is the place to log adder sightings. What a great idea! The site makes interesting reading and is a jumping off point for all things adder. I have logged the two sightings made around Snake Alley :lol: in Haverthwaite: (round3) and (round5).

If you sight an adder: besides treating it with respect, please log your find at Add An Adder. Geocachers are more likely than the general Brit population to come into contact with these reclusive creatures. Cachers also love logging stuff. :P Geocaching rules!

Footnote

I am now officially at freaked level "skittish". Mrs D knows about the South Cumbrian adders and is buying full Steve Irwin kit. :P

I trod on one the other week whilst wearing sandles and shorts when retrieving my model glider! I sort of twisted my foot in a cattle rut and as I stumbled I looked down to see and angry looking chap trying to tag me in the ankle, but I had sort of pinched him too close to the head for him to reach. As the weight came off the foot pinning him down he gave up trying to attack and ran (slithered) off into the long grass. Still not sure who was the most surprised.

Never been bitten by one, but I'm hoping it's less unpleasant than a weaver fish or a tarantula (don't ask!).

BTW I missed the prog. was it any good?

Have logged my recent spotting in Northumberland of 7 Adders, 50 years on the planet not a single sighting of any type of snake then 7 in one day, phew!!!

Adder bites are rarely fatal to humans and dogs do sometimes get bitten and die but not very often, in fact if you look only 12 people have died of Adder bite in the last 100 years more die from spider bite, but that was another thread.

Adder bites are rarely fatal to humans and dogs do sometimes get bitten and die but not very often, in fact if you look only 12 people have died of Adder bite in the last 100 years more die from spider bite, but that was another thread.

Well you could make it 13 if I returned to Mrs. FFB with a dead dog !.... adder bites are pretty deadly to dogs.. please please please ..... if you have a dog and cache in a adder area .... get a serum kit....