Great place to get magnets

Nakedbamboo

I know I kept trying to find some magnets to hold an altoid can to a fence post, but nothing was strong enough. I tried ones from Walmart and Lowes, but they just kept adding more to the weight than the strength of the magnet allowed. Anyway, I finally stumbled onto something called Neodymium magnets. These are what you want. They are massively strong for their size. I am sure a lot of people already know about them, but for those that don't here is a good website: www.kjmagnetics.com. It allows you to by them singlely which I found to be very rare. Everyone wants to sell them in batches of 100 or more. By the way, I am not in any way related to this company, I am just a very suprisingly satisfied customer. Many other places sell Neodymium magnets, this was the only one I found where you could get individual ones.

If you want real strong magnets for free, take apart broken/junk computer hard drives. Very thin and strong.

I have a bunch of hdds and I can't seem to get them apart. Any suggestions?

Unscrew the back off of them, most are held on by the same size screws (star) inside and out, the magnet is glued onto a piece of metal that has to be bent off (peeled if you will) because its on their so well. The HD is broke so you can do as you will without hurting anything, I have even broke some of the magnets...no problem I go two for one :-)

Most hobby stores (Like Hobby Lobby) have what they call "rare earth" magnets (visit link) that are super strong and also relatively cheap. They come in sizes from an aspirin to a coupla fifty cent pieces stacked together. These are insanely strong magnets, so strong you have to slide them apart.

They are bright silver in color and I have seen them at our WalMart in the hobby section (but not all Walmarts are created equal since our Walmart carries only Eveready rechargeable batteries and not Ray-o-vac or Sanyo like some have mentioned in another thread).

www.magnet4less.com looks cheaper than those sources (at least for the 1/2" dia 1/8" thick discs that I usually buy). Even though the discs are smaller than a dime, they have 5.4lb force. Two magets (or even one) will hold an altoids tin on a metal post.

For example: 1/2"x1/8" discs

KJ Magnetics: 50 count @ $30

Lee Valley: 50 count @ $29.50

Magcraft: 14 count @$8.99

magnet4less: 50 count @ $9

I don't mind buying 50 at that price. I use them as swag.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

www.magnet4less.com looks cheaper than those sources (at least for the 1/2" dia 1/8" thick discs that I usually buy). Even though the discs are smaller than a dime, they have 5.4lb force. Two magets (or even one) will hold an altoids tin on a metal post.

KJ Magnetics: 50 count @ $30

One must pay attention to shipping charges. Magnets4less charges $16 to ship, and the others are not much better, but I didn't check them all.

Your local craft store or hobby store is your best bet unless you want to buy lots and lots of magents....!!!!

KJ Magnetics: 50 count @ $32.50

One must pay attention to shipping charges. Magnets4less charges $16 to ship, and the others are not much better, but I didn't check them all.

Your local craft store or hobby store is your best bet unless you want to buy lots and lots of magents....!!!!

$16 is for USPS Priority Mail. They'll ship via UPS Ground for $10.63. I noticed that Magcraft charges $5.06 to ship via FedEx Ground (not sure if it would be equal weight). Still, even with the higher shipping cost (for that particular item) magnet4less.com ends up being about half the price.

My dad used to work at Dana and they broke down one of the machines and completely took it apart. It has magnets on it used to hold up engines while they were being worked on. He says they're just regular industrial magnets, but they might be the same as the Earth Magnets, it's heavy but a piece about 1" by 1" can pick up and hold 10 lbs. So I broke it into chunks and was using one to hold up a cache, then the rest of the magent got thrown away, go figure. Thanks for the links!