Archive, Por Favor!

simpjkee

We just posted a SBA ("Should Be Archived") on a nearby cache that hadn't been found in six months. It all depends. We look at how long it has been since a find, how long it has been since the owner has logged on to the site (you can see this from his profile page), how many DNFs have been logged, and so on when deciding whether to log a SBA. If we have previously found the cache and can confirm that it is gone, or if we want to place a cache there, than those are also factors.

Basically, if you think the cache owner is neglecting his cache and he won't replace it, then log a SBA.

In BC we have many caches that have been down for month and months. Often they are clearly gone. I post SBAs every so often when I spot one just to help clean up the playing field. With my nearest 20 caches pushed back over 20 km some of the long gone caches sit on my nearest list and sit and sit.

I've also adopted a couple caches where the container needed to be replaced - both voluntary adoption and involuntary adoption. But that is another thread for another day

I would like some guidence from a Reviewer on SBA logs. Are they appreciated by reviewers? When is enough enough for a disappeared cache?

In BC we have many caches that have been down for month and months. Often they are clearly gone. I post SBAs every so often when I spot one just to help clean up the playing field. With my nearest 20 caches pushed back over 20 km some of the long gone caches sit on my nearest list and sit and sit.

Thats where I stand. I have a number of disabled caches on my nearest list some of which have been disabled longer than I have been a cacher. I can't imagine one of my caches going more than a few days without being repaired or archived. 4 or so disabled months seems ridiculous to me.

I would contact the owner first. Maybe offer to adopt the cache or ask for it to be archived so you can place a new one. If you are not interested in placing a cache there I would not worry about it if they are disabled. The ones that piss me off are the ones that are gone and you can't get the owner to do anything.

As others have said, I log SBA's on caches with many DNF's and owners who haven't logged in for months. I've done it a couple of times on caches where the owner has logged in but apparently has not been active in many months (No finds, not responding to DNF's or "needs maintanence" logs). My local reviewer is pretty good about sending the first request for action, and then archiving the cache if there's no response.

How long since the last find is it acceptable to post a needs archived?

There's a few caches in my area that have been disabled for a couple months with DNF's logged for a month before hand. Yet no owner logs promising maintenance or anything.

I don't think I would worry about the last find date so much, but more on 'is the owner around / and are they working on the cache?' IMO If the owner periodically checks in and says "yea I know this is disabled maybe I can get it to next month..." will keep in the cache from being archived for a long time.

Of course if the owner is missing, or just doesn't seem to be doing anything with the cache for several months then I would probably start with a nice note (or private email) asking about the cache, an update on the progress / or if they know when it will be ready so it can be hunted. If that doesn't get a response then wait more weeks and start posting Needs Archived logs every month or two. Eventally this builds up a record of non response from the owner and helps get the cache archived. Unless theres something glaringly wrong with the cache like Private property issues the reviewer here doesn't seem to be in any hurry to archive cache listings. But given forced archivings are done by the reviewers I would suspect the exact answers of when/how long would depend on how you reviewer feels about such things.