Overzealous moderation?

rutson

I'm confused. A newbie asked a question for the second time and the thread was locked.

It says in the guidelines:

Please understand that we are not attempting to censor any messages or opinions posted, but this is a moderated discussion forum. We simply want to preserve the spirit of an open, interactive discussion without offending participants.This means that we (Groundspeak and the volunteers for Groundspeak) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages, or to lock a discussion thread. Before taking any of these actions, a moderator will attempt to steer the discussion back to the topic, if this is possible and appropriate.

I can't see why they thread was locked because there was an "active" thread on the same subject. I would hardly define a thread that dropped off page one about four months ago active.

Glancing down my first page, I can see maybe half a dozen topics which have been recently discussed without being locked.

I'm confused. A newbie asked a question for the second time and the thread was locked.

Please understand that we are not attempting to censor any messages or opinions posted, but this is a moderated discussion forum. We simply want to preserve the spirit of an open, interactive discussion without offending participants.This means that we (Groundspeak and the volunteers for Groundspeak) reserve the right to edit/remove inappropriate messages, or to lock a discussion thread. Before taking any of these actions, a moderator will attempt to steer the discussion back to the topic, if this is possible and appropriate.

I can't see why they thread was locked because there was an "active" thread on the same subject. I would hardly define a thread that dropped off page one about four months ago active.

Glancing down my first page, I can see maybe half a dozen topics which have been recently discussed without being locked.

Dear Mr R

Well if you had taken note you would have known that this 'Cacher' had posted the exact same question previously.

And has as yet to find a cache.. I think you should do a wee bit of research before you sound of an make a fool out of yerself..

Moss T

That account that requested about numbers of caches and resulted in locking quite often comes up with forums dictating responses (Put in your number of caches, Best cache) type of things rather than discussion. THat's probably why the moderators are a bit more, er, pushy :( on this one.

Dear Mr R

Well if you had taken note you would have known that this 'Cacher' had posted the exact same question previously.

And has as yet to find a cache.. I think you should do a wee bit of research before you sound of an make a fool out of yerself..

Moss T

I got a post removed because the moderators felt I had made a personal attack on somebody (for SHOUTING IN CAPS!!). This post should also qualify for deletion because of the personal attack Moss T has made on Rutson. It is at least as offensive as the comment I made.

Maybe we should all (mderators included) lighten the hell up?

Trashcanman

For Rutsons information, despite him being a regular visitor to this forum

If he'd read the post with which I closed the topic, and which is the action he is complaining about

Closed Topic He would have seen that I'd put a link in to the To the Original Topic both of which have been posted by a Sock Puppet Account .

Rather than taking an Overzealous moderation approach, I took the very relaxed approach of just closing the Cloned topic [one to which No one was prepared to answer] than what the guidelines state

Sock Puppet accounts will not be allowed. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts will be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

Something I'm sure Rutson is aware off, having already quoted from the Forum Guidelines

Deceangi

Ah, I thought the topic had been closed due to having a duplicate subject, as that was the reason stated. I apologise profusely for not having sufficient psychic powers to enable me to know that the topic was closed due to the OP being a sock puppet account. Quite ironic it was closed by a sock puppet account really...

Ah, I thought the topic had been closed due to having a duplicate subject, as that was the reason stated. I apologise profusely for not having sufficient psychic powers to enable me to know that the topic was closed due to the OP being a sock puppet account. Quite ironic it was closed by a sock puppet account really...

As you have correctly pointed out, Deceangi is a Sock Puppet Account. But one which is supported by Groundspeak, who support all Reviewers/Moderators who wish to use a separate account for a variety of reasons. It's also a account were the details of who owns it are known [unlike some Reviewers who can't be open about their identity due to the amount of attacks they suffer, the UK Reviewers have not faced this situation] or true sock puppet accounts like the account which was part of the reason for the start of this thread. Who deliberately hide who they are.

And to point out the Forum Guidelines again

Please understand that we are not attempting to censor any messages or opinions posted, but this is a moderated discussion forum. We simply want to preserve the spirit of an open, interactive discussion without offending participants.

and which has already been quoted by Rutson. In no way was a Interactive discussion taking place in the duplicate topic as No one would answer the request made by the OP.

Does it not define a Sock Puppet account as one created to cause havoc, arguments etc with the intention winding people up? (or something along those lines).

If so, Deceangi is not a Sock Puppet account. I have an Alternative account which is not a Sock Puppet as it is used in exactly the same manner as this one.

Before this gets into a slanging match of any description, do you not think it prudent, that we, once and for all, define Sock Puppet for all to understand?

sock puppet n. A fake persona used to discuss or comment on oneself or one's work, particularly in an online discussion group or the comments section of a blog. —adj.

A sock puppet, in Internet parlance, is a false Internet identity created for deceptive purposes. and I think the emphasis should be on 'deceptive'!

Discuss ( or should I start a New thread?) - or has this been done?

sock puppet n. A fake persona used to discuss or comment on oneself or one's work, particularly in an online discussion group or the comments section of a blog. —adj.

A sock puppet, in Internet parlance, is a false Internet identity created for deceptive purposes. and I think the emphasis should be on 'deceptive'!

Discuss ( or should I start a New thread?) - or has this been done?

AKA a 'Troll' on some forums :(

If you are so concerned about Reviewers using "Sock Puppet" accounts I am surprised it has taken you so long to mention it. Deceangi has been reviewing for 15 months, Eckington for just over 4 years and I have been doing so for nearly 4 years.

We do so as a convenience to separate out correspondence, caching logs etc. Is this a problem to you? It isn't to Groundspeak who positively encourage their volunteer helpers to work in this manner. Unlike in many parts of the world the three of us have always been totally open as to our "true" identities. There can't be many people who read these forums who don't know me also as The Hornet or even Peter (maybe some other things as well, but that's another matter :( )

However, if you do have a problem with this then please get in touch with Groundspeak who will take any necessary action.

If you are so concerned about Reviewers using "Sock Puppet" accounts I am surprised it has taken you so long to mention it. Deceangi has been reviewing for 15 months, Eckington for just over 4 years and I have been doing so for nearly 4 years.

We do so as a convenience to separate out correspondence, caching logs etc. Is this a problem to you? It isn't to Groundspeak who positively encourage their volunteer helpers to work in this manner. Unlike in many parts of the world the three of us have always been totally open as to our "true" identities. There can't be many people who read these forums who don't know me also as The Hornet or even Peter (maybe some other things as well, but that's another matter :laughing: )

However, if you do have a problem with this then please get in touch with Groundspeak who will take any necessary action.

Eeeh wot are our reviewers like.. I used to do it without the cover.. hence the reason I nicked off :(:laughing::laughing:

We do so as a convenience to separate out correspondence, caching logs etc. Is this a problem to you? It isn't to Groundspeak who positively encourage their volunteer helpers to work in this manner. Unlike in many parts of the world the three of us have always been totally open as to our "true" identities. There can't be many people who read these forums who don't know me also as The Hornet or even Peter (maybe some other things as well, but that's another matter :laughing: )

Eeeh wot are our reviewers like.. I used to do it without the cover.. hence the reason I nicked off :laughing::(:(

That blew me cover :D:D:ph34r::laughing::o:D:(

We do so as a convenience to separate out correspondence, caching logs etc. Is this a problem to you? It isn't to Groundspeak who positively encourage their volunteer helpers to work in this manner. Unlike in many parts of the world the three of us have always been totally open as to our "true" identities. There can't be many people who read these forums who don't know me also as The Hornet or even Peter (maybe some other things as well, but that's another matter :blink: )

Sorry, Lacto, you were directing that at Mr R and not me, were you? You know I have no probs with ANY sock Puppet used for the right reasons.

Whhhhooooaaaa....

I have no problem whatsoever with reviewers using sock-puppet accounts, that's how it works!

Had the thread been closed because the moderator knew it was a sock puppet and had stated that, then I would've had no problem.

The thread was closed (it said...) because it was a duplicate thread. I think I reacted because I'm used to these forums being very lightly moderated and any necessary moderation is usually transparent and honest.

I wish I knew what this was all about.

I assume a 'sock puppet' is constructed by someone sewing two buttons (eyes) on the sole of a sock and then putting their hand in it. Ventriloquism is then practiced whilst held together fingers open and close on thumb?

I assume that a sock needs repair due to a thread becoming unravelled.

Darn it! I don't understand the problem (but that doesn't mean there isn't one, of course). Hope I haven't put my foot in it?

I assume a 'sock puppet' is constructed by someone sewing two buttons (eyes) on the sole of a sock and then putting their hand in it. Ventriloquism is then practiced whilst held together fingers open and close on thumb?

Darn it! I don't understand the problem (but that doesn't mean there isn't one, of course). Hope I haven't put my foot in it?

Which one is the sock puppet... ?

sockpuppet.jpg

Edited by Pharisee

sockpuppet.jpg

the one on the right?

sockpuppet.jpg

Easy question - The one with a hand up its elasticated bottom, of course?

Edited by Budlaw

sockpuppet.jpg

it's a trick question: they both are :o