Flukes?

How many times have you been geocaching and met another geocacher well you were there. I never have

I have over 300 finds and have never ran into another cacher while caching. In my case one reason might be is I do just about all of my caching during the week when most people are working.

I have met a few. Many years ago, I met a few guys out caching. I was the muggle who asked what they were doing (they were using ropes as a safety line as they searched a very steep hillside), and they told me that they were geocaching. I looked it up and not too long after that, I started playing.

It was a few years before I saw anyone else, and it happened this past spring. I was searching for a new cache, and I ran across another cacher as well as the cache owner.

In the early days of geocaching it was fairly common for me to run into another geocacher. There were only so many caches around. Now that there are thousands of cache in the area the likelyhood of running into someone at any one of them is a lot less, even with more geocachers. If you're going for FTF I thing the chance significantly increases, but after that not so much.

About a month ago we were standing just off the path staring at our GPSrs when a couple waking their dog came by. The man said "Ah, geocaching." and they walked off.

That said, when I saw the topic of this thread I expected to see FlukeMan when I opened it. Since I didn't, I'll do the honors ...

Flukeman.jpg

On 7-21-07 while coming down off 12009 ft Hyndman Peak in the Pioneer Mountains of Idaho, I met two cachers at 11000 ft on their way up. This is a remote cache with only half a dozen logs. Out of my 267 finds, this was the 3rd time I have met cachers while out caching.

We have run into other cachers a few times. I wear a geocaching pin on my hat when we do the remote caches, so it is more likely we will recognize each other, or at least that other cachers will recognize us as cachers. In town, I don't wear that hat, so I'm sure we have blown by a few other cachers and not known it.

The most cachers we have run into was when we were doing the APE cache here in Washington, on a sunny day, in the summer. Pretty much a given we would run into cachers on the way in and out. That was neat because the cachers we met were all from out of state and were here on vacation.

Other than that, we have run into cachers twice on a trail, I think. Oh, and once at a new cache in town - we weren't going for FTF (I guess we like to sleep too much), but the cache listing had just come out the night before.

About a month ago we were standing just off the path staring at our GPSrs when a couple waking their dog came by. The man said "Ah, geocaching." and they walked off.

That said, when I saw the topic of this thread I expected to see FlukeMan when I opened it. Since I didn't, I'll do the honors ...

Flukeman.jpg

So I'm not the only X-Files fan eh? Did that expression inspire the avatar?

Flukeman.jpg

So I'm not the only X-Files fan eh? Did that expression inspire the avatar?

Funny, but I've never seen an entire episode of the X-Files. FlukeMan is a character you won't soon forget though, eh?

As for the av ... yikes! I didn't even notice that! The av is from a hike we did the morning after an unfortunate roller blading accident that made climbing excruciatingly painful. Ironically, it was a fluke that Crim just happened to click the pic at the very moment I was yelling "OUCH!!!"

As for the av ... yikes! I didn't even notice that! The av is from a hike we did the morning after an unfortunate roller blading accident that made climbing excruciatingly painful. Ironically, it was a fluke that Crim just happened to click the pic at the very moment I was yelling "OUCH!!!"

I love your AV ...Girl. It's cute. I always wondered why you were saying ouch.

Now back to flukes... When a big multi in San Diego first came out (Snakes and Ladders) we ran into at least 10 other cachers going through the various waypoints. At first, we tried to pretend like we were just out playing with the kids, but then it became obvious that everyone there (walking in circles with their heads down) was a geocacher. Since then we have only run into a handful of cachers. But then again, we don't have a huge number of finds either.

Yes I have done so several - if you go for a FTF them it is highly likely. I have cached since 2002 and found over 100 and maybe 5 of them I saw other people and I usually go for caches that are OUT THERE!

I like to get a long hike out of it and some pictures - wildlife and views. Still haven't seen me a bear.

I can count at least 4 times so-far.. Met 1st pair, when hiking in on a cache down south of the home coordinates. Met two more when I was hoping to find my 1st FTF, and all 3 of us fell on our collective keesters when we found we all had been beaten to the cache by 2 others. 3rd, while doing a L-D hunt down in the south-west corner of the state (Connecticut) (and was also down there for ticket to a special concert of a lesser known group), and 4th, while doing another closer long-jaunt, who was himself doing a interview with a paper on the hobby.

Actually.. make that 5 times.. Prior to the 4th above, met a family who had some friends caching with them, and I was hitting the newest cache at a park, during the long-jaunt.

This doesn't include a get together a few days later after the 4th happenstance.

I've also run into a couple hunting a letterbox close to a stage of a 4-part cache, and same day, met another cacher when returning to starting point. (I drive a schoolbus, had just brought a group to a local science academy on a mountain here, and when I got back after a little caching while waiting, met one of the directors/teachers there, who asked me if I was 'Gelfling6', by the note I put in the log about caching while waiting.)

Cold New England Weather, and earlier sunset has been putting a major crimp in my caching as of late. And lack of time.. :laughing:

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

How many times have you been geocaching and met another geocacher well you were there. I never have

On one of my first finds I ran into 4 cachers who used mapquest (no GPS) to find the location.

Last summer I was deep in the woods finding a series of caches. I heard a group headed my way. I heard one of them yell something like "look under there". I was sure they where geocaching. When we crossed paths I discovered they where actually looking for rattlesnakes.