Event for recruiting new cachers

It seems that events are mostly directed at existing cachers since the notification is online. Has anyone ever tried making posters to hang at wilderness shops or other businesses that sell GPSrs to advertise your event? Would this be a logical way of recruiting new cachers or is it a bad idea?

It seems that events are mostly directed at existing cachers since the notification is online. Has anyone ever tried making posters to hang at wilderness shops or other businesses that sell GPSrs to advertise your event? Would this be a logical way of recruiting new cachers or is it a bad idea?

I personally think it is a great idea. There are some events that have GPS and geocaching lessons... so I would assume that inviting people from outside of geocaching would make sense....

I'll have to remember that when I decide to try to organize an event around here.

Perosnally I'm leaning towards hosting an event like this. We have some die-hard wilderness stores up here that I could publicize the event at. Forget the stores like WalMart that sell GPSr units to avoid getting the wishy-washy, semi-interested people.

Can anybody think of a reason NOT to do this?

Perosnally I'm leaning towards hosting an event like this. We have some die-hard wilderness stores up here that I could publicize the event at. Forget the stores like WalMart that sell GPSr units to avoid getting the wishy-washy, semi-interested people.

Can anybody think of a reason NOT to do this?

I fully agree with you, but there are several other ways to achieve increased awareness of the sport.

I've Just hung up my hat after being a membership secretary of a small Grey Power organisation in New Zealand. I worked with a good supportive President. In 18 months we took the membership from 380 to about 900 in an urban area of about 90,000 people.

I've only been Geocaching for about 10days. B) It has got me off my bum and to get my fitness up at 69 years after six years of lazy lazy. I'm already feeling allot better for the exercise as the six caches I've been to are mostly on small steep hills. Like yesterdays cache was a 1.5 km four wheel drive track that climbed about 300 feet.

It would appear here in NZ in my area that there are a number of people who have cached for several years and are in the retired age bracket. :D These people could give interesting talks to clubs/groups who are always wanting speakers on almost any subject of interest. GPS technolgy used in this sport would come on the radar of these clubs if they knew about it. This was the main tool we used to increase our Grey Power membership.

In Geocacheing a buddy system to take non-cacheing people out would build a helping community.

Another item is The Muggles concept, :D:D If people are near a cache would it not be a good opportunity to show them on a one to one contact geocacheing in operation? These people are those who get off the beaten track if they are a problem to you approaching a cache. Why hide what you are doing there yourself??

Arahura

If you have a Cabela's nearby I am sure you could even host it at the store if you asked them first. I visited the one in Lehi, UT and I was blown away about what they carry, even just their GPS section was awesome.

If you have a Cabela's nearby I am sure you could even host it at the store if you asked them first. I visited the one in Lehi, UT and I was blown away about what they carry, even just their GPS section was awesome.

The closest thing we have to Cabela's is a small Gander Mountain store. Wouldn't that violate the 'commercial caches' rule?

The closest thing we have to Cabela's is a small Gander Mountain store. Wouldn't that violate the 'commercial caches' rule?

We did this event a while back, REI let the organizers teach a GPS class in the back room and even let them place a cache outside on the property. I think if your doing an introductory class or something to help people learn about GPSrs or geocaching, it is ok.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fa-b157d389fdf3

I think that's a great idea! The only concern I would have would be if you used Groundspeak's graphics or logo. I bet they even have the name protected. Probably ougth to look into permissions for using those things. I bet there aren't real problems with that, but I would still look into it.

Our area has a good geocaching organization. They do stuff like this all the time.

Generating new cachers around Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa has occured in a number of methods.

One local cacher teaches geocaching to 4H kids. Iowa has held a community education class that brought a combination of newbies and experienced together (EVENT). Wisconsin has had many events such as Geocaching 101.

Personally, I am going to "teach" a community education class that will be published in the community education brochure. To bring in more "assistant helpers" there will also be an event at the same time.

Accordiongal

I work for 4-H, a divison of the Cooperative Extension System. InNY, we operate under Cornell University. I, specifically, work for the 4-H Camp in Bristol NY. This past spring we held our first annual Cache Bash, a caching event focussed in bringing cachers and non-cachers together to share the sport. WE advertised through Geocaching.com, but we also posted news releases in the media, hung a small handful of posters in grocery stores, and promoted in on our website.

( www.4-HCampBristolHills.org/cachebash07.html )

We ended up with about 30 people, including 6 non-cachers. I was hoping for more, but I have a lot of hope for next years event, because the camp has done a lot of geocaching programs in teh summer camp program, so I now have a mailing list of kids that I know are interested. NExt spring I will do a direct mailing to about 100 kids. If 25 percent of them come and bring 2 parents, you can see that the event will grow exponentially. Add to that, the fact that our county 4-H is adding a GPS and mapping club, I think we'll see a lot more folks at the cache bash this year.

I'm in the initial stages of developing a program for church groups that would combine a series of geocaching Hikes with a biblestudy series that would draw parallels from both GeoCaching and Christianity.

The concept is to introduce more people to Geocaching. The value added portion in this case for this interest group is the devotional and self-reflective nature of geocaching hikes where you can have lots of time between caches to enjoy God's wonderful Earth.

Like i said, this is only in its early stages, and has only been drawn up in its most basic form.

The intent is to post the event at local churches and with christian groups such as Campus Crusade for Christ... ect... (yes I know that this would not be postable on GC.com).

the group would meet somewhere near a trailhead, the facilitator would go through the basics of GPSr usage and safety tips as well as possibly include a CITO talk. the facilitator gives them instructions on how to log a find both on the trail and online, discuss Basic GeoCaching Courtesy and give them all a note pad so that they can track their caches found that day and log them online later that night.

They would then go on the Geocaching Hike with each member of the group taking turns leading the way to the next Cache(assuming that there is only one GPSr available). Midway through the Hike, there would be a break for lunch or something. At that time the bible study and discussion portion (roughly 30 min total) would occur and then they would finish the Cache Hike by finding a few more caches.

This would be a 5 part series of Cache Hikes each with a Biblical/Geocaching Theme and corresponding study lesson. some Ideas I've come up with so far are:

Identifying The Goal / Introduction to the GeoCache

Our Need For Help From Above / GPS system

Looking With Appropriate And Reliable Guidance / The GPSr

Searching With Wisdom And Knowledge / The Cache Listing, Hints, Phone-A-Friend Option and Experience

Finding the Goal, What Now? / Finding the Cache, Etiquette(haven't figured this one out just yet)

The Series could occur over a period of 5 months, with one Cache run per month, or over a 2 1/2 month period with a Cache run every two weeks.

By time the series is done those member who attended all 5 cache runs will have probably found between 20 and 50 caches, depending on the trail system used and the region they live in.

This approach would encourage a cacher to continue to do cache runs. I find that generally one can tell if they are an addict somewhere between 20 and 50 caches :wub: . Because this is intended to be lead by an experienced GeoCacher we would end up with new GeoCachers who understand and respect the courtesy rules of Geocaching and if you introduce CITO to the mix, you'll also have Cachers who will mostly CITO their hikes. When the series is over the facilitator would then refer them to the Local Geocaching Community and encorage them to become involved in their community. It would not have to be the end of this group getting together, but the onus would then be on the initial facilitator to either develop a biblestudy series or the group may find that they are satisfied with just going on a cache run.

-----------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE... this is not intended to insult or offend anyone. This series is not intended as a proseletyzing effort targetting non-Christian Geocachers. Rather it is a targeted approach to introducing Geocaching to Christians in such a way that they would be engaged and mentored over a season of time and hopefully they will then become self-motivated(aka Addicted) GeoCachers and active members of their own local geocaching associations.

I am running an event in Florida for Sarasota County Parks and we have put out posters and press releases to the general public along with placing the event on the goecaching web site. The event is sunday the 20th so I will see what kind of responce we get and post it here. I hope to make this an anual event and draw new people to the sport.

Here is an event we are doing next month. GC180MX Looks like will will have several cub scouts, some girl scouts and others.

Trying to stay small this first time and have not done tons of advertising. I figured to work out any kinks then go for a bigger one next time.

Forgive me. I am new at this. So I have a lot to learn. But I have a question...

Why?

Why is recruitment's a necessity?

If everyone is a Geocacher there wouldn't be very many mugglers now would there?

It would soon get old and boring and the thrill would be gone and be something our kids look back at and think - Man they were weird... crawling around looking for junk in the shrubs...what were they thinking.

Surely it would linger for years, like Naturalist and fishing and other things I guess.

I learned of this really cool little game from friends and I think that the aspect that most people around me are clueless is what intrigued me the most.

:D

I am trying to organize a similar type event but my issue is with the no solictation guidelines. The event I want to host will be an intro/educational event for kids, new people, recruitment, etc but the location would be at an outdoor sporting event that all proceeds are donated to a childrens hospital. Has anyone else had these type of organizational issues? :lol:

I am trying to organize a similar type event but my issue is with the no solictation guidelines. The event I want to host will be an intro/educational event for kids, new people, recruitment, etc but the location would be at an outdoor sporting event that all proceeds are donated to a childrens hospital. Has anyone else had these type of organizational issues? :lol:

KSPS, Kansas Society of Professional Surveyors and now MSPS, Missouri Society and me and a bunch of others have been working on events as well.

Meades Ranch is on March 15 at Meades Ranch Kansas or as some may know it as NAD 27.

This is the Origin of that data and near the Geodetic and Geographic Centers of the Contiguous US States.

We are in the process of setting the First GEOCAC Benchmark and having it included in the NGS,National Geodetic Survey data base.

It is also near the Oldest active geocache in the country GC30.

I have a goal to get others involved and have a benchmark set in all 50 states.

Maybe Canada and Mexico as well since they also have accepted the NAD 27 data for their mapping.

I do not think we can get the latter 2 in the NGS data base though.

But that is a trivial matter at this part of the project.

I want to try and get this out into the geocaching community because I have learned that getting others aware way before hand helps.

I did not know how or was I aware of the impact the community can have.

I did the Lewis and Clark GC Events along with the HARN, NGS setting of the signature disks.

I am not sure exactly when we will set the first disk but I already have the first one in hand.

And it can be seen in the benchmark forum under the GEOCAC thread.

I hope others join us in our efforts to promote geocaching as a whole.

Geocaching-U has a great geocaching brochure. I carry a few with me in case I get any questions about caching.

In my area, several of the cachers (myself included) are scouters, and have done info sessions at scouting events. Me and another cacher did one at a camporee this past weekend which had over 2000 scouts (Boy Scouts, Webelos Scouts, Venturers and Girl Scouts) and introduced many of the scouts and scouters to caching. We should samples of caches, explained how the 'game' is played, gave out brochures and the like. We setup several temporary caches in the park the camporee was in, and also setup several new caches as well, increasing the number in the park to about 20 or so (its a biggg park). I've been asked to do something similiar at another major camporee in the council early next year.

I've also promoted cito and geocaching events to scouters as yet another intro method.

There have been some intro to geocaching events at one of our local county parks, put on by local cachers. That's another avenue. Many parks have a wide range of classes/sessions free and open to the public at certain of the parks. So doing one on geocaching (especially if the said park has several caches already) is a good option.

Why is recruitment's a necessity?

If we don't invite new cachers then we might as well go pick up our containers and take up golf instead.

In our area we have a small general population. Right now we have about 5 or 6 people hiding 90% of the caches. After someone finds all the local caches (about 300) they tend to stop caching. More cachers=more hiders=more creative caches, etc.