60cx vs. New Legend Hcx

What makes the 60cx so much more expensive than say the soon to be Legend Hcx? I don't need/want an electronic compass. Other than shape/weight....the two units seem the same to me. All I can figure out is that the 60 model must have a more rugged housing.

The 60 series has an external antenna hookup capability. I had a 60 series and it would have much better sattelite reception while in my back pack under a jacket than my Legend would ever get out in a open field. I'm not sure about the 'H' series though. Battery life might suggest that the H is still going to be less accurate than the 60 series.

Edited by BigBadger

I am not sure if I have seen the new legend yet, but as far as I know the only real Garmin GPS only unit with an external antenna is the 60 series. The external antenna alone is worth extra money because it pin points the exact location no matter what kind of cover you are in, and it pick up satelites faster than any other GPS, there really is no such thing as "Acquiring Satelites" anymore with the 60CSx that I have, it just picks them up and goes right to the accuracy.

If you dont care for the electronic compass just buy the Map60 or 60Cx. S=Scientific (E-compass and barometer) if you bought the 60cx like you have in your original post you wouldnt get the compass. Also, x=expandable which is a must have feature for adding on the maps and up to 10,000 waypoints with the expanded 2GB card capability.

Edited by Onewheeler

Looks like the H stands for High-sensitivity antenna. Wonder if that means they put the SiRF chip in it, or what? I still would put my money on the 60CSx under cover though, what with already having an 'external' antenna vs the legend's internal patch antenna, and the added option of a true external antenna.

High-sensitivity is all a bit vague. I can find no mention of SiRF III. Unit still only allow 500 waypoints etc, so I get the impression it is a pretty minor upgrade and not really in the same league as the GPSMAP 60 CSx, though we'll have to wait until some decent reviews / tests come out.

If it was comparable I can't imagine Garmin would have missed out on increasing the price more. ;)

Garmi's site shows 1000 waypoints and all the other meaningful specs are the same.

But I'm going to buy the 60.....because I think you may be right on the "money" part. Garmin charges what they can get, and right now, people are willing to fork over big bucks for the 60 series. But I bet after the Hsx comes out, the price of the 60's goes down................because it's just my luck!

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=310

Garmi's site shows 1000 waypoints and all the other meaningful specs are the same.

But I'm going to buy the 60.....because I think you may be right on the "money" part. Garmin charges what they can get, and right now, people are willing to fork over big bucks for the 60 series. But I bet after the Hsx comes out, the price of the 60's goes down................because it's just my luck!

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=310

I have a Vista HCx unit. The antenna is very sensative, getting my location in the basement of my house, and the internal processor is very fast. For the price I would buy the H version of any of the Garmin products now.

Note that the Vista HCx also will take a 1 gig chip ($13 at GPS City) that will hold one heck of a lot of map data (not wayspoints, but this version already will take 1,000). I can get the entire City Nav maps on one chip, and then have other chips that have a combination of City Nav and Topo for a region, allowing me to switch from one to the other.

One drawback is that WAAS is toggled off through some action and at the initial start up. Suspect Garmin will address this glitch in their next update.

The new Garmin H series uses an MTK chip, not Sirf. Time will tell how well it compares.

If it doesn't use sirf, it won't compare to the 60CSx at all. The 60c(s)x is by far the best unit on the market right now and let me tell you, it's worth every dollar. I paid $499 for mine at release and I still think it was worth it, so that's my thoughts ^_^

My TomTom is using the MTK chips and it beats by a smal margin the 60CX in term of sat. signals !

Display size and button are the only practical differences.

No need for the helix antenna anymore. I am pretty sure Garmin will sonn come with a new form factor and get rid of this "extrusion"