Advice between 2 GPS units

Hello all-

I am new to the GeoCaching world and am looking at 2 different GPS units for me and my 8 yr-old-son to use as we begin our adventures. There is about a $100 price difference between these 2 and am willing to pay the extra IF it is worth it.

Garmin eTrex Legend CX $225

-or-

Magellan eXplorist 210 $125

I like the color display and 22mb memory with the Garmin but am unsure of any other differences that would push me either way.

I am specific to these 2 models because I am using a particular store account to purchase and these are 2 of the best mid-level units offered.

Any thoughts?

Thanks folks.

Your're mistaken about the Cx' 22mb memory - the Legend Cx has no internal memory. It comes with a 64mb card as it supports external memory. For about $30 you can pick up a 2GB card which is what I did for my Venture Cx. The discontinued Legend C had 24mb; maybe you're confusing that one ??

Both the Legend Cx and HCx are priced $210 at offroute.com and other online retailers. The HCx has the new hyped sensitivity chip and 1K waypoints; the Cx comes with the aforementioned 64mb card. For an additional $25 you can get the Vista HCx which adds an electronic compass and barometer.

These Etrex' have color screen; calculator; alarm; Sun/Moon phases; hunt/fish calendar; support auto-routing with optional mapping software; and advertise 32 hours of battery life (for Legend Cx; 25 for HCx'); among other features ...

Edited by Chuy!

If you are looking at the Legend CX you should check out the Venture CX instead. If you plan on adding mapping, the 64 mb card that comes with the Legend will probably end up on a shelf anyway and that's the only difference between the two GPS's (the Venture is the same unit as the Legend but doesn't come with the media card or a USB cable... you have to supply those youself but the price difference allows you to buy a bigger card).

I wouldn't go with the Magellan, the Venture is a really good GPS and Mapsource is far superior to Mapsend. We have two Magellan GPS's and Two Garmin's in the family and we are slowly replacing the Magellan's with Garmins. If nothing else, as mentioned by others above, buy a color screen!

I am taking my 210 back to the store today. I received a Legend cx for fathers day and couldn't be happier. Customer service for Magellan is one of the worst I have ever dealt with. My unit stopped being recognized by my pc and I cant get it to work. The base map on the Magellan was better but I will stick with other companies. Go with the Garmin. I got mine for $200 at Wal-Mart.

Magellan is well known to have absolutely horrible customer service. Garmin has consistently been shown to have some of the best customer service anywhere for any industry. That alone should help you to make your choice between Garmin and Magellan.