need 1 geocoin ASAP - need advice

wvnewbie

For the record - I have never gotten a geocoin and am a newbie all around.... with that said.......

I had the idea of getting a geocoin in honor of my son's 13 b-day and putting it in its first cache on that date. Figured it would be a cool thing to do - sorta unique etc.

Here is my prob - and why I need advice - I need to get it by June 13 (6 days from now)

All advice on A) where I should buy it from (a company I can talk to by phone/customer service) B ) what it should be (are there generic ones I could get due to time limitations etc.? or can a special one be made quick?) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

Edited by wvnewbie

For the record - I have never gotten a geocoin and am a newbie all around.... with that said.......

I had the idea of getting a geocoin in honor of my son's 13 b-day and putting it in its first cache on that date. Figured it would be a cool thing to do - sorta unique etc.

Here is my prob - and why I need advice - I need to get it by June 13 (6 days from now)

All advice on A) where I should buy it from (a company I can talk to by phone/customer service) B ) what it should be (are there generic ones I could get due to time limitations etc.? or can a special one be made quick?) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

If you want to buy something the two companies I have bought from recently sent my order out either the next day or the same day I ordered them

www.castlecoinsandpins.com or www.dorkfishcoin.com

geoswag.com is usually pretty quick too. I know there are others but those are the ones I have dealt with in the past week.

Soemtimes if there is a collector fairly closer to your area you could work out a trade or purcahse one and they could get it there by then. Cross country trades may or may not make it.

No a unique coin couldn't be made that quickly.

:anibad: For a personal touch, whichever coin you get, you could go ahead and activate in your childs name, and on the coin page make it a "Birthday coin" and maybe make the goal to travel around and get pics. of other parties and celebrations. Just a thought, Happy Birthday in advance! ;)

I'd definitely recommend castlecoinsandpins.com I placed an order this morning and almost immediately got an email saying it was shipped! Wow thats quick service ;) Now it's in the hands of the Postal Service, but i'd say 6 days should be more than enough time.

Also, whenever I open a package coming from them, my jaw drops. They do really nice work.

:anibad: For a personal touch, whichever coin you get, you could go ahead and activate in your childs name, and on the coin page make it a "Birthday coin" and maybe make the goal to travel around and get pics. of other parties and celebrations. Just a thought, Happy Birthday in advance! ;)

I think 57chevy's idea is great! And I also agree, www.castlecoinsandpins.com and www.dorkfishcoins.com have the speediest shipping! And www.coinsandpins.com has a big selection, and the next fastest shipping.

For your turn around time you need a local who can cast the coin. That's a completely differnet process. Much cheaper (well maybe not much) for a single coin than the normal process. You can get a fairly quick turn around. The detail won't be as fine.

Your local trophy shops may be able to help find someone who can do this in your time frame. Failing that maybe a jewlrey shop.

Of course, the thing to remember about a one-off coin is that it won't be trackable. If that is a criterion, then you'll have to get a trackable coin, from any of a number of places.

I agree that castleman is about as quick a shipper as there is. SouthBayDay (HogWildStuff) isn't too shabby, either. Really, I've had excellent shipping from just about every one of the coin companies; a lot depends upon distance from SoCal, where we live.

But for selection, right now geoswag.com is probably the place to look. They have about 30 different coins on their main list, from very simple to very colorful. I believe that they can expedite shipping for the appropriate extra charge. With timing being so critical, I think that this is the way to go. That or landsharks.ca, which is in British Columbia. They also have a nice selection and are wonderful to work with.

And I really need to say this... with no exceptions that I can think of, I have had excellent service from every geocoin company with which I've dealt. Certainly there are little things here or there which make one place just a little better than another, but I've had *NO* bad experiences with any of them, and I think I've bought from just about all of the North American firms, as well as several overseas. If I didn't mention a particular company, it's not because of a bad experience. Whoever you buy from, you will almost certainly get good service. The trick will be finding an appropriate coin that you can get on time. Good luck!

I want to say thank you to everyone who responded both here and by email. I am blown away both by the speed of responses AND the generosity of people that do this hobby. Yet another reason I am happy to be doing it - and I truely believe "what goes around comes around." I will be certain to "pay it forward" one day.

There were some great suggestions also - so I have several ideas as to how to pull off this unique b-day idea. (and if anyone else has any - keep on posting!) I will repost as I firm up my plans so that y'all can see how I did it - who knows - maybe others will follow suit.

Thanks again one and all - I REALLY appreciate each post and email!

PS - after the fact I will make sure to tell my son how this whole thing went down - there certainly is a life lesson here about the goodness of people and their willingness to help those they have never met!

Just a thought. If you decide to take me up on my offer or not for the geocoins. I could activate one of mine and send it also and you could put it into the cache with your son's and make it a race. Like a Happy B-Day race and see who wins with the most miles by his B-Day next year.

Edited by GeoSmurfz

I'd definitely recommend castlecoinsandpins.com I placed an order this morning and almost immediately got an email saying it was shipped! Wow thats quick service :rolleyes: Now it's in the hands of the Postal Service, but i'd say 6 days should be more than enough time.

Also, whenever I open a package coming from them, my jaw drops. They do really nice work.

We just ordered our first coin from them via eBay (should be in a cache soon!). I agree with you wholeheartedly.