Cache Containers

I was wondering what seems to be the best cache containers. What works well? What doesn't? And where can I get some of the things that work well? Is there a designated store or place I can get some? I don't want to be limited to film canisters and tupperware... other kinds seem to hold up better and camouflage into their surroundings.

I was wondering what seems to be the best cache containers. What works well? What doesn't? And where can I get some of the things that work well? Is there a designated store or place I can get some? I don't want to be limited to film canisters and tupperware... other kinds seem to hold up better and camouflage into their surroundings.

I would say that this largely depends on your location/weather/type of hide. I have heard some things work great and then someone somewhere else 1500 miles away says the opposite. Also you could buy them online but you may end up doing better just making them yourself.

Amazingly, cookie tins have quite a bit of longevity. I get those for cheap at Thrift Stores. Altoids Tins have a certain amount of longevity and they work where you couldn't possibly use a larger container. When I use one of those, I take the lid off, flatten the hinges with a pair of pliers and put cammo tape over them. The lid fits back on and the container is more waterproof now. :(

Ammo cans are the best, but you can't hide a container that large everywhere. Lock 'n Lock containers work well, but if they get found a lot, and are opened and closed, open and closed, the tabs can break off. :(

Nalgene water bottles work well and fit in little rock crannies. I have also found those for cheap at Thrift Stores.

A recent experience leads me to suggest using containers other than M&M tubes or similar cylinders. One of my smaller caches (see log: Fairest Rose GCZEFC), well-camo'd but appropriately labeled as 'Official Geocache Gamepiece,' was destroyed by our local bomb squad. A muggle had investigated the hide location after noticing 'suspicious activity' and had reported the cache as a possible pipe bomb.

I was wondering what seems to be the best cache containers. What works well? What doesn't? And where can I get some of the things that work well?

Here is an article on regular sized cache containers that I wrote for Today's Cacher that answers all those questions.

Here is the followup article on micro containers.

Edited by briansnat

I use plastic peanut butter jars. Some people have said negative things about them, but I've got a few out there that just went through a Canadian winter and not one is damaged or wet inside. And every other peanut butter jar cache i've found has always been dry. I do have some lock and locks, but I had one with a broken tab, so I'm not to sure of there long time use. Gotta go have a PB&J sandwich now, gonna need a new cache container soon.

P.S. I do use camo tape on them all.

I use plastic peanut butter jars.

If there is a bear within 50km, then it will find your container, and leave nothing but shredded plastic bits, and dung. Anything else with sharp teeth living in the area will also be able to detect even the slightest hint of PB, and do everything in their power to destroy your container.

Urban PB jar seems ok, but in rural areas they are far too often just fodder