GPS setting?

geolucas

i have a Garmin etrex Legeng {Blue} and i just found out about geocaching not long ago and have only found one so far, Gps doesnt seem to be putting me where i need to be ? is there something in my setup that could be throughing me off thats not set right {map datum}?? what should the settings be set at, and what is WAAS? I am in the windsor area and woundering if anyone is useing this modle and if so what are your settings at? or if this modle is any good at all? kinda makes me mad when it is sending me all over the place ;) thanks....GEOLUCAS

Set the datum to WGS-84

Set the coordinate format to Decimal Minutes: DDD MM.mmm

Those are the default settings for the Blue Legend.

WAAS stands for Wide Area Augmentation System - simply put if your GPS can see a WAAS sat then you will get more accurate readings.

Don't make the common rookie mistake of expecting the cache to be right at Ground Zero on the GPS. Remember that the reading you are seeing could have an error of as much as 20-30 feet. PLUS remember that the hider had a similar error. The cache could be as much as 60 feet from where you zero out. MOst of the time you will find it within 10 - 20 feet. Best advice is to get close and then put the GPS away and start looking for likely hiding spots. Stay away from Micro caches until you have some experience finding things.

Welcome aboard!!!

Edited by StarBrand

....It will however give you fits under a thick tree canopy or in a valley....

Not if you hold it correctly. With the front of the unit facing skyward is where the patch anntena works the best. True that is a bit akward when hiking along but does help the unit maintain a good sat lock.

Hmmm i am in windsor noca scotia and a buddy of mine told me to put it on NAD83 would this be throughing me off ??? and should i enable the WAAS of just leave it off? and does different locations require different datums???

Edited by geolucas

Hmmm i am in windsor noca scotia and a buddy of mine told me to put it on NAD83 would this be throughing me off ??? and should i enable the WAAS of just leave it off? and does different locations require different datums???

The only reason to use a different datum is if you are using your GPSr in conjunction with a map (or other coordinate source) which uses that datum. You might well need NAD83 if you are navigating with maps of a certain vintage. But if your geocaching data comes from geocaching.com, use WGS84. (By all means encourage your buddy to stick with NAD83 and you can compare cache found counts in a month or two. :anibad:)

Not if you hold it correctly. With the front of the unit facing skyward is where the patch anntena works the best. True that is a bit akward when hiking along but does help the unit maintain a good sat lock.

Sorry to disagree but I used it enough to know it does not work well in the woods. It will hold a signal but it will not be very accurate. It is pretty obvious that you would want to point the antenna at the sky. :anibad:

Sorry to disagree but I used it enough to know it does not work well in the woods. It will hold a signal but it will not be very accurate. It is pretty obvious that you would want to point the antenna at the sky. :anibad:

I agree. I got a blue legend after my magellan sportrak was stolen and the reception was so bad in the woods that I got an explorist 500 as soon as I could. When I though I had lost the explorist, I went back to the legend for two days before I got so frustrated I ordered another 500. I wouldn't even try to sell the legend.

I used a Legend, then a Vista under heavy tree cover for years without a problem. 5 years ago they were by far the most popular units here and a heavy tree canopy is the norm here. If they didn't work well,

I doubt they would have been so popular.

As far as being obvious how to hold the unit, the few people who I knew who complained about them had them hanging around their neck from the laynard, clipped to their belt or held them in their hand dangling at their side.

oh know i dont really know what to think now :anibad::anibad:

Don't worry - it is a fine unit - a lot of us found a lot of caches with that unit.

Set it the settings to match the site and you will be fine.

Go have fun - that is what it is all about.

Set it the settings to match the site and you will be fine??? you mean the wgs-84??

oh know i dont really know what to think now :anibad::anibad:

Don't worry - it is a fine unit - a lot of us found a lot of caches with that unit.

Set it the settings to match the site and you will be fine.

Go have fun - that is what it is all about.

Set it the settings to match the site and you will be fine??? you mean the wgs-84??

yes and the format to decimal minutes.