If you could pick only one

Along the lines of the other topic by almost the same name. If you could pick only one of your DNFs, which one would be your all time favorite. I'll be back to edit mine after I look up the number.

OK, I went to the list to look up the number of the one I had in mind, and realized that it was a lot harder to choose a favorite DNF that a favorite F. I guess that maybe this is because once I 'DNF" a cache on a good hike, I'm left with only the hike to make the most out of. I can see that none of the urban or roadside caches get anywhere near the list of my favorites for DNFs. It took a little debating but here is the one

Geocache #15

GCA36D

Once again, if someone can make that into a link for me, thank you.

Looking at the list makes me wonder if that's how I should start picking Caches to search for.

New search criteria...

"Could this end up as my Favorite DNF? If not, should I even bother looking for it?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

GCA36D

Take any waypoint, type http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp= and add the gc code to the end like http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCA36D to get a link for the page.

If you want to show the cach name instead of the link, the put the link in URL brackets like:

[ U R L = http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCA36D ] Geocache #15 [ / U R L ]

and it will look like this. Geocache #15

**remove the extra spaces. They were needed to show you the code**

My favorite DNF was Climbing Tree at Lake Ella.

It's a micro that was supposed to be a 1/1. My wife and I made several trips and several DNF's. We finally found it where we thought it should be all along. But with the high traffic and tendency for the cache to keep turning into a 2/1, we had lots of difficulty finding it. But it was fun to joke about it and it kept my wife busy during a few lunch breaks.

I just noticed its new owner finally raised the ratings up. <_<

There were two caches near horseshoe lake in northern NY. It is between long lake and tupper lake. Both caches went missing, but the hike was great. One lead to an old bridge with two stories and the other to moose tracks and a great waterfall. I will have to consider placing a geocache there now that those two are archived.

GCA36D

Take any waypoint, type http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp= and add the gc code to the end like http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCA36D to get a link for the page.

If you want to show the cach name instead of the link, the put the link in URL brackets like:

[ U R L = http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCA36D ] Geocache #15 [ / U R L ]

and it will look like this. Geocache #15

Thank you, on any regular computer I would just copy and paste the URL into the text of my post, and it would show as a link (if I remember right) but I'm on a kiosk computer at work where I can only have one window open, and I can't copy and paste. And I'm too lazy to try and remember the code. Thanks for the help

**remove the extra spaces. They were needed to show you the code**

If I had to pick one DNF out of my many memorable ones, it would have to be our two trips to an urban micro called Palatka Park Shelter.

(total time spent, 15 hours, including drive time)

The logs, as follows:

October 19, 2006

We've been watching this one for a while, and knowing that some of the greatest cachers in the state have failed, left us with little hope that we would succeed. We arrived with the goal of adding our names to the lofty string of DNF's, and were not disappointed.

We left Château Riffster at 8:30 this morning, but due to having to make several pit stops, didn't leave Deltona till 9:30. As we eased into Palatka two hours later, we saw the new East Palatka TB resort, and briefly considered going for a FTF, but decided to focus our energies here instead. Got to the park, and saw a small herd of minimuggles having a birthday party.

Hello? It's friggin Thursday! Go Home! Grrr!!!

Either luck was with us, or the parents of the rugrats decided we were an unsavory looking lot, cuz they wrapped up things shortly after our arrival. Whoo Hoo!!!

As Viv & I wander over to the Shelter, who should arrive but Mr President himself, Greg, from The Federation. Seconds later, another geoicon shows up, Jim, of Legna & Soulbait, the evil masterminded behind this cache. This aughta be good!

5 hours later, Greg & I bow at the feet of the King, admitting our failure to the known world. We both reached a point where we felt it was better to slink home with our collective tails betwixt our legs, than to continue hurdling ourselves at this mighty foe. I personally can't think of a single square inch of that structure we didn't search several times, but obviously, there was at least one.

The highlight of the day was when Jim saw how skinny we were becoming searching for his cache, and provided bountiful sustenance. Mmmmmm.... Yummy! Two hours later, (9 hours total dedicated to this hunt), we arrived home feeling rather content.

Good food, good friends, good fellowship...

What more could a Riffster ask for?

Thanx Legna & Soulbait for this, (most elusive), hide!

Sean & Viv

Post script: I propose that NEFGA put together another event at this park. We can call it, "Let's Bribe Jim". Suggested donations would be $20 per person, funds to go directly to Jim. For each $100 raised, Jim provides another hint. I got my $20. Who's with me?

November 05, 2006

We all left Astor around 11:00am, and as we got close to Barberville, William asked about "Shelter". We decided that he needed to add his name to the long list of DNF's. We saw Shimski walking the big bridge over the St John's, and waved to him. After arriving, we searched for 2 hours without sucess, then ordered some pizza to bring back happy memories.

Mmmmmm......Pizza.....

Thanx for the (still ellusive) hide!

Sean, Viv, William & Munchkin

Here's mine: 120 miles out of the way.

The name of the cache comes from the fact that it is needed to complete a page of the Tennessee Delorme Challenge... that lies completely on the Arkansas side of the Mississippi River! Since the state boundaries were laid down before the river was straightened out and leveed off, there are numerous areas along the lower portion of the Mississippi in which a tiny piece of one state lies on the wrong side of the river (check it out in Google Maps). Long story short, it's a 120 mile round trip drive from the closest bridge in Memphis.

I made the detour, saw that the cache had already been found a few days before, and knew that the coordinates had been updated. What I didn't realize that, because of a typo, the new coordinates were a mile off instead of the few hundred feet they should have been. I didn't know this, so I set out anyway, and returned to the car two hours later cold, soaking wet, and with a DNF.

It turned out that the cache was supposed to be right beside the road, less than 10 feet from the car. NashvilleJoe and AbbysGrammy talked me into making a return trip with them a few weeks later, and I was finally able to claim the find.

Mine was just recent. This One was never found and over 2 years old. It ended up being a 200kms trip on our quads. My son and I took 11 hrs (total trip) and although we did find the right spot, we never found the cache. We did have a great ride and a beautiful day and stopped and grabbed 2 other caches which my son hadn't found on the way back. Wrote a note log and a maintenance log, but haven't heard anything yet. If it gets archived, I just may go place one near there.

So, in going back over your list, do you think that your DNFs have been more fun than your Fs

I enjoy the whole caching experience from start to finish. Sometimes I have greater adventures on caches I don't find, then on those I do find, but that's not the norm. My typical DNF occurs when I stop having fun, and with a cache in an uninspired location, that might take me as little as 5 seconds to reach that point. If I'm with friends, and/or in an interesting location, I'll enjoy myself more, and therefor, stay longer. As it currently stands, my favorite find slightly beats my favorite DNF in overall enjoyment, but that might change with my next DNF.

I think it would probably have to be Switchback Cache This was my log on this one.

Skunked. We traveled the road from hell and it wasn't even paved all the way. What a view. Our driver wore off the leather on his steering wheel he held on so tight at times. It didn't help that my son was describing our terrible end if we made any errors. We spent a good hour searching for this one, and it was hot. Probably won't try this one again unless someone gives out some hints to help on this one. Oh yes a teleporting device would help out a lot on this one also.

This was back in July of 2002 when I hadn't been caching very long. I assure you that my knuckles were also white most of this ride. Imagine a on 1 1/2 lane road with switchacks and a drop off of more than 500 feet on one side. Definately got the blodd flowing.

:laughing:

My DNF's are memorable for reasons other than fun.

One I slashed a tire on the trail, and had to change it in the hot sun in the dirt. Standard OEM tire changing equipment sucks for that. I never made it back to that Multi cache and have never really liked them since.

Another and perhaps my most favoriate DNF due to the irony was a virtual. I thought I found the answer was told I didn't so I posed a DNF log. Then they asked me to edit my log to get rid of the spoilers. Say what? I can spoil your cache when I didn't find it?

Another took 9 trips only to be dissapointing because I found it where I had looked each of the 9 times. Someone didn't put it back correctly.

Others, especially urban Micro's are like "ok I've seen this parking lot why do I even want to avenge this DNF? I don't. NEXT!".

I forgot about the Switchback Cache. I still hate that cache. All that white knuckle pain and no smilie! Grrrr. Oh, and it wasn't there to be found. LogScaler & Red came along later verified it wasn't there and replaced it. It was a vacation cache back when the term wasn't invented and any new cache was welcome regardless of how it got there. The plus was that it was one of the times I crossed paths with LogScaler even if indirectly.

I would pick Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache No. 4. I loved the series because it was so clever. There was also a great story behind it. PLus we ended up meeting the great Sandy Creek Cowboys as a result. Anyhow, when we got to this one all we found was the end of a shovel in the ground. It was cemented in so it wouldn't budge (the cache owner was also the landowner). We figured it was in the hole where the shovel handle used to be but it wasn't. We look all through the bushes that were nearby for about 30 minutes. Then my buddy thought we should dig up the shovel but I talked him out of it. I was pretty convinced that someone had made off with the handle and the cache and as it turns out they had. I went back and found it later but that wasn't near as fun as the DNF. :laughing:

On September 10, 2004 I was on the island of Tercera (Azores, Portugal). I had access to my daughter's computer, but not a printer. I decided to see if there was a geocache within walking distance. I walked for nearly an hour to the area of GC8EF9 Translant Chess Cache. I had the coordinates written on a scrap of paper and the memory of the picture of the statue of Mary taken from the cache site. I spent about half an hour looking using my old Magellan XL2000 and my Suunto compass. I did see one container at the foot of a stone wall, but decided that I was likely to split/rip my pants if I went for it. After looking at the other pictures, it was not the cache that I saw. There are now 8 caches (including a virtual) on the island. If you know someone who has a layover at "The Crossroads of the Atlantic" (Lajes AFB) tell them to find this one. It's still there.

My first geocache hunt was a DNF, but I've learned a lot since then. :laughing: