Buying premium membership

Its cheap the exchange rate is excellent.

If you have ever considered buying membership its unlikely to ever be much cheaper

£1.50 for one month or £15 for a year at the current exchange rate.

NB any other USA bargains would be nice additions to this thread like its a good time to buy any geocoins etc

If you have ever considered buying membership its unlikely to ever be much cheaper

The exchange rate is as likely to go down as up. If that weren't true, and this is the most dollars you'll ever get for your pound, then you'd be able to make a *lot* of money in the futures market, which isn't the case, because there would have to be someone so stupid that they'd be willing to take the other side of that bargain.

Exchange rate is fab....

just come back from a three week holiday in Washington/New York !!!!

One of the highlights was a show on broadway - Legally Blond - in Times Square...

and all for £20 !!!!

Can you imagine going to the west end in London and getting a top show for £20 !!!

Now queueing 3 hours to get to the top of the Empire State State Building to grab a virtual however was not a highlight (cache was - queueing wasnt)

Another aspect of the current exchange rate ..... if you pay by "Paypal" the current rate is permanent if you opt for automatic renewal of subs....

" Quote"

exchange rate for this purchase is 1 GBP = 1.93586USD

Subscription Terms:

$30.00 USD for each year

Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the billing period.

If you have any questions or concerns about this subscription, please contact Groundspeak.

The exchange rate is as likely to go down as up. If that weren't true, and this is the most dollars you'll ever get for your pound, then you'd be able to make a *lot* of money in the futures market, which isn't the case, because there would have to be someone so stupid that they'd be willing to take the other side of that bargain.

Perhaps we should form a hedge fund to cover ourselves against loss - and we could hide a cache in it :blink: (the hedge :rolleyes: )

Subscription Terms:

$30.00 USD for each year

I have got this exchange rate with paypal just now -

£15.36 GBP from Visa/Delta/Electron XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

PayPal's Exchange Rate as at 21 Apr. 2007:

1 Pound Sterling = 1.95332 US Dollars

I am however doing it manually and not automatic renewal.

Subscription Terms:

$30.00 USD for each year

I have got this exchange rate with paypal just now -

£15.36 GBP from Visa/Delta/Electron XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

PayPal's Exchange Rate as at 21 Apr. 2007:

1 Pound Sterling = 1.95332 US Dollars

I am however doing it manually and not automatic renewal.

Hi Dave

The point I was trying to make was that if you choose to pay your subscription by Paypal, if you choose to pay automatically , then irrespective of the "current" exchange rate , all future payments will be at the agreed rate .......... so fluctuations in the £/$ dont matter a jot.....

Hi Dave

The point I was trying to make was that if you choose to pay your subscription by Paypal, if you choose to pay automatically , then irrespective of the "current" exchange rate , all future payments will be at the agreed rate .......... so fluctuations in the £/$ dont matter a jot.....

I had a feeling that is what you meant, hence my finishing line. Bit NAFF that ain't it???

Hi Dave

I think we need someone else to confirm, but Groundspeak is a US company and I've always interpreted (and still do!) that the 30 US dollars is the rate. The international currency markets then turn that 30 US dollars into whatever it is in pounds that day. week or month.

Now queueing 3 hours to get to the top of the Empire State State Building to grab a virtual however was not a highlight (cache was - queueing wasnt)

*Wicked evil grin* I saw the queue, and to my utter delight, GeoDog, my companion and I were whisked to the head of the queue and were at the top of the building within I think, 8 minutes of presenting ourselves at the entrance! We even had a very nice man go around and clear people from the lowered viewing points for wheelchair users.

One of the very few occasions when disability works positively :(

Wasn't it a virtual and a BM?

all[/u] future payments will be at the agreed rate .......... so fluctuations in the £/$ dont matter a jot.....

I think you'll find that if you pay via Paypal automatically, then you'll be debited $30 each year at the exchange rate at that time. So, if the dollar weakens further, you'll pay less in pounds; if it bounces back, you'll pay more.

Paypal aren't in the business of incurring exchange rate risks, and that's what they'd be doing if they let you lock in today's exchange rate, because Paypal will have to use the exchange rate at the future date to do the conversion.

all[/u] future payments will be at the agreed rate .......... so fluctuations in the £/$ dont matter a jot.....

I think you'll find that if you pay via Paypal automatically, then you'll be debited $30 each year at the exchange rate at that time. So, if the dollar weakens further, you'll pay less in pounds; if it bounces back, you'll pay more.

Paypal aren't in the business of incurring exchange rate risks, and that's what they'd be doing if they let you lock in today's exchange rate, because Paypal will have to use the exchange rate at the future date to do the conversion.

"exchange rate for this purchase is 1 GBP = 1.93586USD

Subscription Terms:

$30.00 USD for each year

Your subscription will automatically renew at the rates stated above unless you cancel prior to the end of the billing period.

If you have any questions or concerns about this subscription, please contact Groundspeak."

This was the quote on the pay pal email......its pretty unambiguous

Slainge Bob

( ps Paypal charges are about 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction......they don't lose out on exchange rates. ever.... all that happens will be that the recipient will get slightly less .....)

Edited by Flyfishermanbob

We should all get togehter and buy property. a big doss house for cachers that would be the best thing. at present Floridas housing market is really poor.

And also i am looking into buying in Canada. so far i have found a nice house and 10acres of land for around £65,000 so i think it is getting time for me to cash in on Northern Irelands booming housing market my house has more than doubled in value in 2 years.

I thought I would check this out further after the comments about the rates being unambigious. Not that I was questioning it so much, I was thinking it is an automated computer system. And the yanks, they'll pay $30.00 and the rate will be fixed. "What rate are you paying?" "$30.00" The conversion rate, from our groovy GBP to USD, I started to think, would be what ever the going rate was at that time. So I delved into my Paypal history.

This year, when my premium membership renewed in late January I was charged $30.00. This converted to, at the time, £15.71. Last year, January 2006, when I first did my premium membership, I was charged $30.00 and it converted to £17.25. Just for the record, I chose an automatic annual renewing subscription.

So, it appears the rate is the chargeable USD, and that just gets number crunched over the international money markets into a value that we can pay through our GBP.

Hope this clears things for people who haven't got premium membership and may be teetering on the "Will I? Won't I?" edge of things.

"exchange rate for this purchase is 1 GBP = 1.93586USD

Subscription Terms:

$30.00 USD for each year

If you have any questions or concerns about this subscription, please contact Groundspeak."

This was the quote on the pay pal email......its pretty unambiguous

I would suggest that it is massively ambiguous. What has happened is:

1) Text supplied by Groundspeak (starting with "Your subscription will"...) has been incorporated by Paypal's computers into a message containing text written by Paypal.

2) Paypal's text contains the word "rate" ("exchange rate for this purchase")

3) Groundspeak's text also contains the word "rate", meaning "price"

4) You get to see the seamless, final result.

Don't worry, if you take this to court, you won't win.

You might want to mail contact@Groundspeak.com to point out the issue - because if someone does sue them, they will have to pay lawyers even though they will win :lol: - and maybe ask for a month's extra membership as a reward.