Geocoins in caches - grab or discover?

Mr'D

Good point.

I prefer to move them on.

But if I know I won't be caching for a while ........ or can't move the coins on according to the owner's wishes ...... I can't resist the lovely new icon so 'discover' them.

There's also the theory that letting the coins remain in the cache will encourage others to visit - I resisted a White Jeep recently to give someone else the chance to grab it.

If you KNOW for a fact that you can't help the coin along it's journey I think that discover is fair enough.

On the other hand if you don't know you should take it and move it on.

The way some people enjoy trackables in time bugs and coins may not move at all and may as well be glued to the cache container. That's not the purpose of discover.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I discover coins at events, particularly if I haven't already got the icon, but move them on if I find them in caches. However, at the weekend I visited a geocoin cache and discovered the coins rather than empty the box and move them on. My caching partner had a coin so we swapped it for one that a Mini Hopper took a fancy to. In this instance, I think it would be rude not to acknowledge them in some way - it also reassures the coin owner(s) that the coin is still there and safe. :D

Ummm tricky one ....we ended up 'aquiring' two TB's from two diff caches and moved them on promptly.....we 'hold' a max of two TB's or Geocoins at anyone time now with a view to moving them on within a week.

We found a cache with two TB's and two Geocoins in yesterday and only swapped one. I don't necesserily swap like for like as it maybe that we can't fulfil or don't know the mission of a specific trackable? (especially if placed after we have left home base).

I don't think it's fair to wipe out a cache of Trackables if there is more than one trackable in the cache!

Ummmm this rambling a bit now so will stop and listen!

Happy caching all

minxyy

BTW I did 'discover' the TB's yesterday after swapping one but will aim not to 'find' them in future unless I can complete a mission etc.

I don't think it's fair to wipe out a cache of Trackables if there is more than one trackable in the cache!

That's what I think. In general I'll pick up a lone TB or coin unless it has a specific mission I can't help with. If there's more than one trackable item in a cache, I'll tend to leave something for the next person coming along to find, as I think that's only fair.

Anything I don't move I'll discover, as it lets the item's owner know it's ok in the cache and not missing and I get the icon in my profile.

I'm not sure if that's the "correct" way to do it, but it's the way I think is fair and the way I play unless someone points out a huge error! The only thing I add is that if I pick up a coin or TB that's not logged into a cache I'll try and contact the previous keeper or wait a few days before logging it, to avoid grabbing it from the previous keeper and the item missing out on some miles.

If I find a coin in a cache I'll always move it on, unless there's more than one, in which case I'll move one on and discover the others. I used to log coins at events, but don't any more - its not that I think there's anything wrong with doing that, it's just that I'm too bone idle to write rafts of numbers down [:D]

I know there's a few types of coins out there, ie, "gold", "silver", bronzed, nickel, etc... which gets most money melted down? :D:D:D

I always take the lot - generally I think owners like to see them moving around. It's easy around here to move things on according to what the coin owner wants.
I probably agree (about moving them about). However it seems rude to the cache owner to empty his cache of coins and TB's making it less attractive to potential cache visitors. How about a TB hotel? Does that exist purely for the TB's benefit? Thanks for all contributions. I am no clearer in my own mind :o Jon PS. Why can't I format this posting?Grrrrr <_<
I always take the lot - generally I think owners like to see them moving around. It's easy around here to move things on according to what the coin owner wants.
I probably agree (about moving them about). However it seems rude to the cache owner to empty his cache of coins and TB's making it less attractive to potential cache visitors. How about a TB hotel? Does that exist purely for the TB's benefit? Thanks for all contributions. I am no clearer in my own mind :o Jon PS. Why can't I format this posting?Grrrrr <_<

Well, my bugs are meant to move that's why I released them. The cache owner wants them to stay sitting in thier cache or wants to decide if someone can or cannot move my bug? No thank you, keep'em moving please.

To answer the original question: Is it good practice to simply 'discover'?

I don't know if there is any good or bad about it. I would prefer people moved my travelers but it's up to the finder if they want to take it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I don't know if there is any good or bad about it. I would prefer people moved my travelers but it's up to the finder if they want to take it.

I guess it's a guilt thing. Turning up at a cache and emptying it's contents of coins and TB's, even if contributing to their mission, seems a bit mean and feel I am depriving other cachers of the opportunity/chance/pleasure to log the items themselves.

In the 'old days' I'd only ever take one TB/coin from a cache, and where possible do an exchange. Since this 'discovering' thing started it's become a little more complicated <_<

Jon

I guess it's a guilt thing. Turning up at a cache and emptying it's contents of coins and TB's, even if contributing to their mission, seems a bit mean and feel I am depriving other cachers of the opportunity/chance/pleasure to log the items themselves.

In the 'old days' I'd only ever take one TB/coin from a cache, and where possible do an exchange. Since this 'discovering' thing started it's become a little more complicated <_<

Jon

That's fine if that's how you feel. There have been many debates about whether or not you can control/limit how many travelers others can take from a cache, typically concerning a hotel with trade restrictions. (No need to get into that here)

I don't necessarily take every traveler from a cache just because I can. If some cache has like 6 or 7 I might take two or three just to spread things out a bit, but it depends on the cache location and how often it gets visited.