Don't be bashful.

The ones that I seem to always have the hardest times with are the ones that have been placed in burfordi holly bushes. Those real stiff holly bushes that have the sharp pointy leaves. That seems to be the most popular place to put a cache in the Charlotte, N.C. (I admit, I'm guilty of placing them in them too) I seem to come away with bloody arms every time, poking around for 15 or twenty minutes and having to make several trips back to the area before finally finding the cache. Does anyone else have that issue. And yet, I still love finding them. Call me crazy! :laughing:

HH,

Ramapirate

Okay, I think I did this right. Never used the bookmark feature before, but Here's what I think is my list. Seems I fail to find roughly 1 out of 10 caches I go for.

And I have yet to explode because of it.

Question: These lists are "public" but I have no clue how to find any of yours. Where would one go to do this?

(edit)

I just went through and left notes for each DNF in my bookmark list, and it was kind of neat to do. I'd suggest it to anybody.

Interesting notes:

Out of 8:

2 I went back and found later.

1 was confirmed muggled and fixed, but I haven't been back yet.

1 is likely muggled and I have left a "Needs maintainence" log.

2 are part of a series that, due to various factors not related to my ineptitude, I will not revisit.

1 got me, and I will go back and find it some day.

1 got me, and due to distance I will likely never get.

Type:

4 of my DNFs are multis, 4 are traditionals. Of my finds, 8 are multis and 64 are traditionals. I seem to be worse at multis than traditionals (expected, I suppose)

Size:

4 regulars, 2 unchosen, 1 small and 1 micro. Of my finds, 40 are regular, 1 unchosen, 11 small and 19 micro. I seem to be best at finding micros (!) and worst when you don't tell me what I'm looking for.

Oh, and the one that was confirmed muggled was likely checked by the owner *because of* my DNF log. I found that interesting as well.

Edited by Retcon

I have a non-public Bookmark list that includes many of my 222 DNFsfaint.gif . . . I get the notices when someone else finds it . . . :D

The only ones on that list that really nag at me to be found are those I couldn't find during several road trips. I would rather return to find those than some of the local ones . . . :)

Have just signed up for bookmarking and think it will be a great help! Is there anyway of seeing public bookmarks without "coming across them" on a cache location page? It would be great to look at bookmarks say within a ten mile radius of my home? (to get an idea of how others do it, any close together caches that you may not have grouped together yet or not!) I'll play with my lists for a while and make sure I'm happy with the contents and names and then will let go public! thanks for the topic minxyy

Two of my DNFs were also some of my favorite caches simply because getting there was fun. Last month, some friends and I were up in Northern Michigan when the snow was still several feet deep. Hiking in the snow, across frozen lakes, and then turning the cache site into an archeological really left some fond memories.

I don't log all of my DNFs becuase sometimes I'm just not inspired to search when I get there. For example, if the GPS brings me to a manhole cover in the middle of a parking lot, I just say "Forget it! If my coordinates aren't wrong, I'm just not inspired to look around."

I have had a DNF list for a while, but not public till now. DNF's are important to the cache owner, so cachers should not be ashamed to post one. I know if I get an DNF on one of my caches it is time to check on it, or adjust the difficulty. Sometimes a DNF tells me that my cache is exactly as difficult as it should be. :ph34r:

Many of my DNF's I return to and find, but I do not remove them from the list. Some caches stumped me on the first try, or some just plain were not there.

My DNF's

when you speak of a DNF list, are you referring to logging it for that cache or is something personal? We have 2 DNFs. We have searched for each twice and can't find. I logged them as not found for that cache.

Also, as long as I am asking questions, I notice some people have a picture on the left side above their info when they post, how do you do that?

when you speak of a DNF list, are you referring to logging it for that cache or is something personal? We have 2 DNFs. We have searched for each twice and can't find. I logged them as not found for that cache.

Also, as long as I am asking questions, I notice some people have a picture on the left side above their info when they post, how do you do that?

The DNF lists we are using are a Premium Member feature. It lets you create lists of caches you select, along with other options. If you want to see a list of your DNF's that is not public, go to your account page, select "Geocaches" on the top row, and then select the "Did Not Find" log type to filter out the rest of your logs.

The image above our info is an avatar. You can upload and select one by editing it in your profile info, then returning to these forums through the link on the left hand side of the Geocaching website.

Hope that helps.

Okay, I think I did this right. Never used the bookmark feature before, but Here's what I think is my list. Seems I fail to find roughly 1 out of 10 caches I go for.

That's about my ratio in general though it's about double that in my own town. It's good to get out of town to go caching. I find more.

No bookmarking list though. I haven't bookmarked anything that I know of though I have ignored a few.

I have a public bookmark list of all my DNFs. If I get to a location and then decide not to look for some reason, it's not a DNF. If I look but cannot find it, it's a DNF.

I went back to one location 3 times and got 3 DNFs. Then my wife stopped by there on her way home one day and found it! I went back and finally found it without her help.

I have another DNF I have struck out on 3 times. I will be back to it. I know it's there and is just considered a great hide by those that have found it.

Question: These lists are "public" but I have no clue how to find any of yours. Where would one go to do this?

(edit)

I just went through and left notes for each DNF in my bookmark list, and it was kind of neat to do. I'd suggest it to anybody.

Interesting notes:

Out of 8:

2 are part of a series that, due to various factors not related to my ineptitude, I will not revisit.

Type:

4 of my DNFs are multis, 4 are traditionals. Of my finds, 8 are multis and 64 are traditionals. I seem to be worse at multis than traditionals (expected, I suppose)

Size:

4 regulars, 2 unchosen, 1 small and 1 micro. Of my finds, 40 are regular, 1 unchosen, 11 small and 19 micro. I seem to be best at finding micros (!) and worst when you don't tell me what I'm looking for.

Oh, and the one that was confirmed muggled was likely checked by the owner *because of* my DNF log. I found that interesting as well.

Should be able to view my profile and find a botton marked "view bookmark lists" or something like that.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Have just signed up for bookmarking and think it will be a great help! Is there anyway of seeing public bookmarks without "coming across them" on a cache location page? It would be great to look at bookmarks say within a ten mile radius of my home? (to get an idea of how others do it, any close together caches that you may not have grouped together yet or not!) I'll play with my lists for a while and make sure I'm happy with the contents and names and then will let go public! thanks for the topic minxyy

So i guess we would need some sort of "search Bookmarks" function. but the biggest problem i see right away is that there are soooo many different reasons for the lists, and many of them may only be of interest to the one who wrote that list, so how would a searcher set the criteria for the search

OK, I'm curious. Why do you want to create a public bookmark of your DNFs? I log my DNFs and they are out there for all to see when they pull up the cache page; but what does a public bookmark do for you? I may be a bit dense here.

When you look at someones profile you are able to see a list of all the caches they have found ( and bugs too) but you are not able to see their DNFs, I just thought it would be interesting to be able to see that too.

I am not listing every one i log, since some DNF logs really had no search,( for example: I got to the location and decided "its dark out and I don't want to climb up that slope" or somthing like that)I' am only listing the ones that I put in an actual search, and that I have some good reason to believe they were actually there ( as opposed to missing)

Why? just because.

(edit)

Interesting notes:

Out of 8:

Type:

Size:

I like the notes on yours. I've been accessing the internet on a PSP which is no fun to type on, and cannot cut and paste, but when I have enough time on a real comp, I may paste my actual logs into the notes for each one.