looking to buy a 4X4

srt4guy

I have taken my 04 Xterra SE 4x4 almost everywhere. It has no problems on fire roads, powerline roads, low water crossings and getting me to work or the store.

I have used it for caching, camping, hauling my mountain bikes and everyday driving.

My 2000 XTerra is still going strong. With relatively few mods (tires, skids, rock sliders), I've done a bit of rock crawling and such with her over the years. In fact the first year or so I wheeled her bone stock, right down to the BFG Longtrail tires that she came with. And she's still fine as a DD and for just about any purpose that comes up.

Tough little truck, and very capable right off the shelf.

I'm out on cape cod, so lots of snow and ice don't exist out here (no really, i'm serious) lots of slush - but even my sentra could manage that mess when i needed it to. so i'm not terribly worried about having something special for day to day driving - i just know know that when it comes to caching, i'll take my car off road even when it isn't made to drive off road (which i really why i'm looking for something off road *G*)

If you haven't before, and you get a 4x4, Race Point is a fun place to hang out in the summer. I spent a few summers making monthly runs out there with the XTerra Club. Good times. <_<

If you are looking for a smooth ride, go with independent suspension front and rear (like my 4x4 2004 Expedition). Expedition is an awesome smooth ride, but it's definately not an off roader though. If you are really looking for something capable off road, then you definately want something with straight axles both front and rear (like my 99 Cherokee). The Libertly is the lowliest Jeep ever made until the new Compass was made this year (back to the smooth ride versus off road ability). Cherokee guys hate the Liberty because it replaced the Cherokee with a "street jeep" of sorts. Not to say the Liberty is terrible, but it's far from a Cherokee or any other Jeep with straight axles front and rear. Independent suspension has it's place though.....on the streets or at high speeds in the desert, and even in the snow, but it is out of it's place on uneven terrain (articulation) at slow speeds. Any straight axle 4x4 ought to be able to out perform the Liberty off road unless someone has done the straight axle conversion to the Liberty and then I hear it is one heck of a truck! I don't know what you drive now, but one thing that may save you a whole lot of money and let you keep what you have, but make it more capable is a locking differential. I have a "No-Slip" locker in my Cherokee and it was not hard to install! You can go to www.powertrax.com and see what they offer for what you drive (if anything), but it makes a huge difference, sometimes more than others, but it's a big improvement! Unimogs come with lockers front and rear and so do the new Rubicon Wranglers. Anyway, a locker in a 2wd vehicles will make it go much better, sometimes better than a stock 4x4, and sometimes a little less, but you will be impressed. Just something to consider from someone who can tell you firsthand on these aspects. Good luck...NE4ME

If you are looking for a smooth ride, go with independent suspension front and rear (like my 4x4 2004 Expedition). Expedition is an awesome smooth ride, but it's definately not an off roader though. If you are really looking for something capable off road, then you definately want something with straight axles both front and rear (like my 99 Cherokee). The Libertly is the lowliest Jeep ever made until the new Compass was made this year (back to the smooth ride versus off road ability). Cherokee guys hate the Liberty because it replaced the Cherokee with a "street jeep" of sorts. Not to say the Liberty is terrible, but it's far from a Cherokee or any other Jeep with straight axles front and rear. Independent suspension has it's place though.....on the streets or at high speeds in the desert, and even in the snow, but it is out of it's place on uneven terrain (articulation) at slow speeds. Any straight axle 4x4 ought to be able to out perform the Liberty off road unless someone has done the straight axle conversion to the Liberty and then I hear it is one heck of a truck! I don't know what you drive now, but one thing that may save you a whole lot of money and let you keep what you have, but make it more capable is a locking differential. I have a "No-Slip" locker in my Cherokee and it was not hard to install! You can go to www.powertrax.com and see what they offer for what you drive (if anything), but it makes a huge difference, sometimes more than others, but it's a big improvement! Unimogs come with lockers front and rear and so do the new Rubicon Wranglers. Anyway, a locker in a 2wd vehicles will make it go much better, sometimes better than a stock 4x4, and sometimes a little less, but you will be impressed. Just something to consider from someone who can tell you firsthand on these aspects. Good luck...NE4ME

i'm guessing you didn't see my original post

while the sentra did great as an off road vehicle :laughing: (considering it wasn't built for it) i want something the can handle off road - i'm not talking about driving over boulders and fording streams - i just need something with a bit of clearance and that can TAKE being driven off road -

in addition, there are loan restrictions i'm looking at and my own price restrictions - so the pickings i have to choose from are slim.

when i started the search for my 'new' vehicle i knew nothing about what to look for in a 4wd vehicle. i'm still not totally learned yet - but i'm gettin there.

by the by - does anyone know anything about the 2003 gmc sonoma?

my latest find -

2000 nissan xterra xe

MAKE NAME Nissan Truck (NT)

MODEL NAME Xterra XE Sport Utility 4D (X1)

ENGINE V6 3.3 Liter (6G)

TRANSMISSION Automatic

DRIVE TRAIN 4 Wheel Drive (4W)

EQUIPMENT LIST ABS (4-Wheel) , Air Conditioning , Dual Front Air Bags , Power Steering , AM/FM Stereo , Cassette , Privacy Glass ,

MANUFACTURER MODEL CODE 04210

TRIM LEVEL XE

BODY STYLE Sport Utility

EPA CLASS Full Size Sport Utility

SPARE TIRE Full

WHEEL TYPE Steel

REAR BRAKES ABS|Drum

TURNING RADIUS 354

HEAD ROOM 386

LEG ROOM 414

SHOULDER ROOM 545

EPA PASSENGER 502

EPA TRUNK 656

EPA TOTAL INTERIOR 1158

POWER TRAIN WARRANTY 5

CORROSION RUST WARRANTY 5

CHILD LOCKS Standard

CHILD SEAT ANCHORS Standard

ENGINE IMMOBILIZATION Standard

FRONT SIDE SAFETY RATING 4|

REAR SIDE SAFETY RATING 5|

ROLLOVER RATING N/A

MAX GVWR 5200

MIN GVWR 5000

I see some bad-mouhing about the Liberty going on here....sad...so very sad! I happen to watch a lot of those "build-em-up" shows and they recently did a show on the Liberty!

Yes, they did a few changes (put in the Rubicon axles, lifted it first 3" and put on beefy shocks, tires and such...went great...BUT...they then lifted it 6" with air lift and all the goodies)...they were quoted as saying this was one of the most capable 4x4s ever made! Power, traction, articulation...it's all good! Yes, they had to make a few modifications, but this little puppy comes out of the box more capable than most any other SUV...add a few goodies and it's a champ!

I've had my Liberty out to the Vegas area....although I did blow two of the stock tires and the rear seal, it made me a believer! Waist high dry river crossings, boulder hopping on a trail that event the Hummers didn't travel (they turned around long before I did...they were coming back as I was going in...the ice on one of the creek crossings told me I was the first to go farther)! This was brand new when I took it out, not a single addition yet!Picture079.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture044-1.jpg

I've also been out mudding...have yet to find myself getting stuck (although I do know it WILL happen some day)....and snow?? I've gone through drifts that crossed the entire trail as high as my windows...about 4' deep in areas...(yes, the lights kept "disappearing" under the snow only to "pop" back out) without any trouble at all!

edit: split images into paragraphs

Edited by Moose Mob

I see some bad-mouhing about the Liberty going on here....sad...so very sad! I happen to watch a lot of those "build-em-up" shows and they recently did a show on the Liberty!

Yes, they did a few changes (put in the Rubicon axles, lifted it first 3" and put on beefy shocks, tires and such...went great...BUT...they then lifted it 6" with air lift and all the goodies)...they were quoted as saying this was one of the most capable 4x4s ever made! Power, traction, articulation...it's all good! Yes, they had to make a few modifications, !...

Well heck. If you did all that to a Pinto it would be a great 4x4 as well.

I think you get what I'm saying here Renegade! Everyone was already stating the mods they were doing, these mods were right in line (the 3" lift...not the super Jeep they made after that) with what eveyone else stated! The only real mod I'd even do right off would be to lift it and put bigger tires on...I don't like rubbing bottom on the trail! Still, without ANY mods (even tires) I was able to nagotiate the "road" going out the back side of Red Rock Canyon (Rocky Gap Rd) to the point where it was completely washed away! The look from the guy in the Hummer was classic!!

The fact that these guys (I won't name the show) made such a bold statement speaks volumes for the Liberty...they do this with ALL the 4x4s and stated this one was one of the most capable!! They actually said the 3" lift and small mod of tires and new shocks (and the cosmetics they added for flair) was ALMOST all anyone would need, it did bottom out though on some really tough terrain! The 6" air lift was more like overkill than anything else...more for bragging purposes!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

.... The look from the guy in the Hummer was classic!!....

Hummers (H2) are not much better than Liberties. If you buy them for their off road prowess you would be dissapointed. They are also too small for how big they are. I can't even sit in one that has a sun roof. Not enough head room. I test drove one and was pleasantly suprised at how agile it was. Plus it had better acceleration than I thought it would. But I flat out didn't have any more room than I'd have in a Tahoe and the higher price only got me slightly better 4x4 ability than the Tahoe would have and worse MPG. I could take the difference upgrade the Tahoe and save money on gas.

I have a friend that has the Hummer...UNSTOPPABLE! No, really!

I've been with him to this great little off-road class they teach to some of the very lucky few (rich arse anyway)...his Hummer far out-manuevered any on the course...including the Range and Land Rovers and a few other fancy smancy rides! I'll also be attending Camp Jeep again this year...learning my 4x4's capabilities with the pros...what more can one ask for!

If you're comparing your Xterera to a Blazer, I can understand why you praise the Xterra so...just a small step up from the Cr-V and the Rav4...might as well have a Subaru!

If you are looking at a liberty, you should look at the Xterra as well. You will probaby find that for the money The Xterra is both more capable (actually it flat out is more capable) has more room and gets the same or better MPG. In all honesty I'd consier the Xterra a 1st Tier 4x4 the the Liberty a 2nd tier. Meaning the Xterra is one of the top 10 stock 4x4's you can buy in the USA while the Liberty is in the also ran pack with about 40 other SUV's that all do ok but just don't make the cut.

I call BS...they are about the same stock...I've run with both stock offroad, and have driven both stock offroad...It's more the driver than the vehicle anyway...

I don't know where you got that the Xterra is one of the Top 10 stock 4x4's, but the Liberty has outsold all of the SUV's for the past couple years...

I felt that the newer xterras (the ones with Independent Rear Suspension) don't run as well as the X's with the solid rear axle.

My $0.02

If you are looking at a liberty, you should look at the Xterra as well. You will probaby find that for the money The Xterra is both more capable (actually it flat out is more capable) has more room and gets the same or better MPG. In all honesty I'd consier the Xterra a 1st Tier 4x4 the the Liberty a 2nd tier. Meaning the Xterra is one of the top 10 stock 4x4's you can buy in the USA while the Liberty is in the also ran pack with about 40 other SUV's that all do ok but just don't make the cut.

I call BS...they are about the same stock...I've run with both stock offroad, and have driven both stock offroad...It's more the driver than the vehicle anyway...

I don't know where you got that the Xterra is one of the Top 10 stock 4x4's, but the Liberty has outsold all of the SUV's for the past couple years...

I felt that the newer xterras (the ones with Independent Rear Suspension) don't run as well as the X's with the solid rear axle.

My $0.02

I'll call your BS and raise you a BS.

Point number 1. Outsell does not mean better. GM sold a bazillion xbody cars. Chrysler sold a heck of a lot of K cars. Crap, Crap Crap. By itself all outsell means is that you can find parts in the junkyard easier.

Point number 2. The Liberty is a Unibody the Xterra has a frame. Unibodies are great for a crossover SUV that will see pavement all it's life. Trail use though tends to wear them out. They have a useful life span then they die. You fix it by buying another one. Frames tend to hold up better.

My top 10 may or may not even have 10 rigs on it. However the Xterra is one of them that fits the catagory of "best off the showroom floor for actually using off road". Right now the new Xterra beats the Grand Cherokee, and the Grand Cherokee beats the Liberty. The Grand Cherokee in general I rate as 1st Tier 4x4 even with it's unibody.

Point 3. Independant suspension is perfectly fine for off road use. It's major malfunction is that it's not as durable as solid axles. The upgrades are not as easy. That is the only thing holding it back. Unless you are gonig to pound the living snot out of your rig though independant suspension is fine. If you are they keep coming out with better aftermarket kits all the time.

I can't think of anything the Liberty does better than the Xterra other than sell more.

Last point. Where we agree.

A good driver in a crappy rig can do better than a bad driver in a good rig. However when it comes to drivers of the same skill the better rig does win.

I have a friend that has the Hummer...UNSTOPPABLE! No, really! ...

You talking the H1? That I can understand. The H2 may do well, but I don't like it for the simple fact that it's too big for its useful size. Like I said, you can upgrade a Tahoe so it does better, and still have some money left over for Gas. You also get the bonus that your Tahoe is less likely to get keyed in the parking lot. The H1, that's another thing.

The Xterra I was comparing to the Liberty. K-5 Blazers are from a different Era. Like the H2 they are bigger than they needed to be for the amount of useful space you had. You pay for that with crappy MPG, and breaking your mirrors off where Jeep's just scoot on through.

Every 4x4 sold has a "what's going to work best for me" component. It doesnt' matter if Jeep comes out with the Rubicon Xtreme that can out 4x4 every other rig in the world if it doesn't meet your purpose. The H1 I rate as a first tier righ but...It doesn't meet my purpose.