Geocoin values?

Bill & Tammy

I am relatively new to collecting geocoins and was wondering if there is a value reference in the works? Have geocoins been included in price guides for other exonumia? And while we are at it what do you think Moun10bike #001 is worth?

Wow, you just opened a couple cans of worms!

I don't know if anyone has built a universal index or reference for value, but like anything collected it depends usually on supply and demand. We've seen coins being sold for under ten dollars by the creator while selling simultaneously for 50+ on the auction site. I'd be interested to learn more myself.

I don't know about Moun10bike's coin though. I would hazard a guess that if it were ever sold it would raise as much a decent small car would cost though. I think I've heard that it's activated by himself though (somebody correct me if I'm off on that) so it would be hard to guess.

Who decides collectibles worth? Now that you've mentioned it I'm really curious. How does the value get rated at a specific point for anything collectible. :laughing:

I am relatively new to collecting geocoins and was wondering if there is a value reference in the works? Have geocoins been included in price guides for other exonumia?

Never seen one, and would rather hope that no one ever tries. This isn't like collecting sports cards; there is no Beckett Guide, as for most people, the value of any geocoin is whatever they can get for it in trade (if they trade), else it's worth a lot of nifty e-mails as it travels. If stores started selling geocoins, then it might be worth putting out a value guide, but I really don't see that ever happening.

Who decides collectibles worth? Now that you've mentioned it I'm really curious. How does the value get rated at a specific point for anything collectible. :laughing:

I mentioned the Beckett Guide for sports cards. Basically, the publishers of that magazine poll a list of stores, asking what they sell cards for. Most cards (called "commons") are worth a certain minimum, say a quarter. Semi-stars are worth a little more, and top stars are worth a sliding scale, based on several factors. Cards are also rated on things such as condition. This evaluating process also works for coins, stamps, Hallmark ornaments, dolls, antiques, quilts and just about any other collectible.

With things such as pins and geocoins, however, trading is a major aspect of the game. If you go to Disneyland with your lanyard of Disney pins, it is extremely rare to have someone come up and offer you cash for a pin that is no longer made. At Olympics venues, money-for-pins is a little more common, but still not that often between two people. The standard deal is to offer a pin that you have that they might not. While geocoins aren't quite the same, there is still a very strong "personal" aspect to them that does not apply to sports cards or stamps. Thus, trying to fix values for geocoins is kind of pointless; there is no one focus for the hobby, nor are they offered in "general" sale. For most of us, we fix our own value to them, at least once we buy them, if that's how we got them. For us, the ones that we buy to go into caches are worth exactly what we paid for them, and that will never change. For the ones we buy to keep, they are priceless, as we have no intention of ever selling them. And the few extras that we've traded are worth what we traded them for, which is usually a coin that we intend to keep, which then makes *them* priceless.

Edited by chaosmanor

I am relatively new to collecting geocoins and was wondering if there is a value reference in the works? Have geocoins been included in price guides for other exonumia? And while we are at it what do you think Moun10bike #001 is worth?

I'll trade you a 2006 Compass Rose for the #001!!!

As with the art/science of appraising anything, whether it be a house, a baseball card or a geocoin, it involves a lot of research, looking at many resources to determine what is the 'average' than any item is selling for. I too would love to know what my collection might be worth (not that a I have any intention of selling any). Any volunteers?

As with the art/science of appraising anything, whether it be a house, a baseball card or a geocoin, it involves a lot of research, looking at many resources to determine what is the 'average' than any item is selling for. I too would love to know what my collection might be worth (not that a I have any intention of selling any). Any volunteers?

Regarding the value of ones geocoin collection, I've often wondered if a standard homeowners insurance policy would cover loss due to fire, or some other catastrophy. Think about it, if you have 500 goeocoins and on average could sell each one for $10, we're easily talking about a $5000 geocoin collection and this is probably a low figure!

Edited by TMOCM

One would never really guess what your collection could be worth until you start tallying it up, like I did recently. When I was done I thought to myself "omg how did I spend that much on coins!!???" But I am addicted, plain and simple. But that's an interesting point about whether or not insurance would cover a geocoin collection.

If you go to Disneyland with your lanyard of Disney pins, it is extremely rare to have someone come up and offer you cash for a pin that is no longer made.

Ah yes...Disney pins...another one of my addictions. We started trading these several years ago, and have contintued each time we go to Disney. Maybe it was that addiction that helped launch me into geocoin collecting. Ya know us dragons do like shiny things and collect them wherever we go.

The funny thing about those Beckett guides is, the book can say a card is worth $100, but if you do not have someone willing to pay this, well...The value of anything is what the market will bear or the consumer is willing to dish out. A $100 card is not worth if no one will pay it.

There are also those coins that are special to US...not because they is rare, but due to who gave them to us or how it ended up in our collection. You cannot put a $$ value on that.

One would never really guess what your collection could be worth until you start tallying it up, like I did recently. When I was done I thought to myself "omg how did I spend that much on coins!!???"

LOL! I gotta agree with this. If I actually sat down and figured out how much I've spent on this hobby, I would probably fall over. Like TMOCM said, 500 coins at an average of $10/coin = $5000...WOW! It would be interesting to see how much our collection is worth, but kind-of scary, too.

I hope for one that no one comes up with a "price guide" to geocoins. I enjoy collecting them, at least I guess that is what I am doing since I personally have not activated any of the coins that I have, but I think that once you start getting into prices and things like that then this hobby will turn into what the baseball card hobby has turned into.

Besides everyone has a favorite coin, so everyone would value their coin differently, I personally hope it stays that way.

As far as the values of the coins. I think it would all depend on how bad you want the coin. I can't believe how much some of the coins go for on the e place when they are being sold still on some websites and even in the bargin bin for some. What I would really like to see is a list of all the coins ever made. That would be every helpful for people like me that just started collecting and geocaching. Also for people that want to mint thier own coins to know what was done already. That is just my thought on the subject.

As far as the values of the coins. I think it would all depend on how bad you want the coin. I can't believe how much some of the coins go for on the e place when they are being sold still on some websites and even in the bargin bin for some. What I would really like to see is a list of all the coins ever made. That would be every helpful for people like me that just started collecting and geocaching. Also for people that want to mint thier own coins to know what was done already. That is just my thought on the subject.

Might want to start here: http://www.geocoincollection.com/cointrade/coinlist.asp

Wow, you just opened a couple cans of worms!

I don't know if anyone has built a universal index or reference for value, but like anything collected it depends usually on supply and demand. We've seen coins being sold for under ten dollars by the creator while selling simultaneously for 50+ on the auction site. I'd be interested to learn more myself.

I don't know about Moun10bike's coin though. I would hazard a guess that if it were ever sold it would raise as much a decent small car would cost though. I think I've heard that it's activated by himself though (somebody correct me if I'm off on that) so it would be hard to guess.

Who decides collectibles worth? Now that you've mentioned it I'm really curious. How does the value get rated at a specific point for anything collectible. B)

Supply and Demand. like anything. and i read somewhere that moun10bike coins are not allowed to be sold and someone tried to sell one it made it to 2000 then i hear M10B deactivated it.

Might want to start here: http://www.geocoincollection.com/cointrade/coinlist.asp

I am a member of that site now. But there are still coins not listed on there. I got one thats not on that site and don't know how to put it on there. but thanks for the info