60CSx - "Hold Level" frustration

markp99

I was out this weekend and was unable to use the electronic compass most of the time. It kept complaining for me to "Hold Level". Pwr'd down and up and recalibrated several times taking great care to hold the unit level. Batteries were fully charged, fresh off the charger. Ultimately, I shut off the electronic compass and continued on my way. But I've become spoiled by this option, so I was not happy without it.

I had noticed on previous trips this fall that "Level" was frequently accomplished by actually holding the GPS tilted slightly forward (~about 5deg).

Also, on 2-3 occasions this weekend, I lost the bearing indicator upon those previously mentioned pwr-up cycles. Another pwr cycle would bring it back. Quite frustrating.

Temps this weekend were in the low 20's; nippy with a good windchill, but balmy by otherwise normal mid-Jan temps in New Hampshire. Could these issues be related to the ambient temperature?

Any suggestions?

Edited by markp99

I have also run into this problem as well. On occasion the red arrow on my compass will just disappear, powering the unit off and then back on corrects it but then give it a week or two and it will happen again.

I have had this happen to me in the summer time here also and have a friend who has the same model and has seen it happen as well.

I only wish I had a solution for you.

I use my E-compass feature nearly as much as I use the GPS. I too have this problem from time to time - usually once per day, sometimes more. I am certainly not a qualified CSx professional, but this is what I have discovered:

First, don't do a power down - it does NOTHING in regard to helping resolve this issue. You are just wasting time and battery power.

Second, the overall battery power doesn't seem to either help or hinder this function.

Third, I have found that tipping the GPSr a little bit further down in the top (pointing the antenna just slightly toward the ground) will generally give me more time in navigation if it starts to malfunction after sustained accurate functioning.

Fourth, the absolute quickest fix is to just recalibrate it BEFORE you rely on it for your navigational back-up. Use the "sight and go" feature, get to the next major point, and then recalibrate if necessary. If I am out in the bush, I do a quick recalibrate every few hours or so just to make sure it is all good to go.

Finally, remember that Garmin has warned that ANY close magnetic field (even slight) will cause the E-compass to malfunction. I have discovered that when I place the unit on top of my deskdop tower, it screws up the compass function EVERY time.

Hope this helps! It is a little bit of a pain to have to constantly recalibrate, but I too have been spoiled by the E-compass!!!!!

I too had a compass problem.

Found it was some metal in close proximity to the 60CSx.

Drove me NUTS for a couple of weeks.

Removed the metal, problem solved.

I am also very spoiled with the Elec. Compass.

I often stop while on the hunt to look around, get my bearings and so forth. Tried with the E-C off a few times and just did not care for it.

But, that's just me. I'm kinda like that, ya know!

Finally, remember that Garmin has warned that ANY close magnetic field (even slight) will cause the E-compass to malfunction. I have discovered that when I place the unit on top of my deskdop tower, it screws up the compass function EVERY time.

Computer hard drives, often placed near the top of a computer tower case, have VERY powerful neodymium magnets in them. I took a hard drive apart and my son has trouble removing the magnet from the fridge! Do not get these magnets/hard drives near any electronics.

Also, CRT monitors (not LCD) also emit some magnetic radiation.

I forgot to ask. What is a "danger level" of distance that metal would affect a GPS compass? I always have coins in my coat pocket, which is about belt level. Plus I always have a pocket knife and car keys in my jeans pockets. So that would make those objects about 1-2 feet from my GPS.

Yep, it's now a proven fact..... compass's won't work if you don't look at them!

Also..... water definitely runs downhill in Colorado.......Downhill East, Downhill West, Downhill North, and Downhill South....so, you might be lost right now, but just don't know it due to lack of information.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!

....so, you might be lost right now, but just don't know it due to lack of information.
Lost is a state of mind. :huh:

As to information, I'm convinced it was too much information and too little common sense that killed James Kim last year. As a Cnet Tech Editor, no doubt he had a GPS in his car when he took that closed in winter road. GPS devices never show closed in winter, just that a road exists. Common sense tells you to say NO!!! this is not the way. It only got worse once he got stuck in the snow.

Colorado is full of closed in winter and 4WD roads that will show up on your GPS. When you get stuck your GPS will tell you exactly where you are, now what will all that information do to get you unstuck???

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist!
Ditto!!!

Hermit

Last I checked, water still flows downhill. B)

I don't know the geography of your state but here in Scotland water, and boy do we have a lot of that, does flow downhill sometimes at an angle of ninety degrees to the horozontal; which is not to healthy if you are following it! l :huh:

I am going to order a Garmin 60CSx shortly, but i have one question, i know its semi and semi not related to this topic, but can you do bearings and project distances for bearings like you can on a Magellan eXplorist?

I don't know the geography of your state but here in Scotland water, and boy do we have a lot of that, does flow downhill sometimes at an angle of ninety degrees to the horozontal; which is not to healthy if you are following it! l :huh:
Hi Sandy,

I was guessing Ireland because you were 5 degrees west, I assume 0 is London or someplace close. Colorado sits astride the North American Continental Divide, many NA rivers originate here. The lowest elevation is ~3000 ft and the highest is 14,433 ft. Being 1000-miles inland its pretty dry here, especially where I live on the lee [East] side of the divide, ~11 inches/year. My house is ~10 miles from the divide and at 8539 ft according to my new yesterday Venture Cx, my first GPS. B)

Hermit

I was guessing Ireland because you were 5 degrees west, I assume 0 is London or someplace close. Colorado sits astride the North American Continental Divide, many NA rivers originate here. The lowest elevation is ~3000 ft and the highest is 14,433 ft. Being 1000-miles inland its pretty dry here, especially where I live on the lee [East] side of the divide, ~11 inches/year. My house is ~10 miles from the divide and at 8539 ft according to my new yesterday Venture Cx, my first GPS. :D

Hi Hermit

The location is the summit of Ben Nevis the highest mountain in the UK a good general view the height is 4406 feet and you climb from sea level, but you are much higher. Rain, we have about 120 inches a year :D