International Mailing - From the US

WWC-World's Worst Cacher

This is what I have found to be true for international shipping. I normally use Endicia because of the number of packages I ship each month, but for international packages and stamps this might help. If there are questions, post them and I or someone else will try to help.

Mailing coins From the US to Other Countries

The first thing is that you can segregate international shipping into two categories:

- To Canada

- To the rest of the world.

USA TO CANADA

Mailing Options:

- International Airmail – Use this for packages that weigh up to 16 ounces

- Global Priority – Use this for packages weighing over 16 ounces – The envelope is free from the post office

Rates:

- International Airmail 2 ounces: $.90 (usually good for 1 coin in a padded envelop) additional ounces are $.25 (but this is not straightforward so you should check the postal tables on this.

- Global Priority Small Flat Rate Envelope: The cost for this is $4.25 regardless of weight. If you can get it in the package and close it without it being horribly misshapen you can send it for that price. - USE LOTS OF TAPE ON THESE THINGS. Also it is better to package the coins in something else or wrap it with news paper or bubble wrap.

- Global Priority Std Flat Rate Envelope: The cost for this is $7.50 regardless of weight. If you can get it in the package and close it without it being horribly misshapen you can send it for that price. - USE LOTS OF TAPE ON THESE THINGS

Customs:

I use the term Novelty Tokens on the outside of all my international packages.

You are not required to fill out a customs form on any coin package that is less than 16 ounces, though some Post Offices will tell you that you do. Take a look at the Global Priority Packages where it makes that statement.

Miscellaneous:

- Tracking: Not Available to international destinations

- Insurance: Check with Post Office on this but there may be some private insurance options also available.

- Mail Time: Frequently package to Canada can take a long time. Longer than to Europe. Two to three weeks in not uncommon.

- International Airmail packages need to be either stamped “International Airmail” or the post office has little stickers you can put on your packages. It should be on both the back and front of the package.

USA TO OTHER INTERNATIONAL DESTINATIONS

Mailing Options:

- International Airmail – Use this for packages that weigh up to 6 ounces

- Global Priority – Use this for packages weighing over 6 ounces. The envelope is free from the post office

Rates:

- International Airmail 2 ounces: $1.70 (usually good for 1 coin in a padded envelope and can vary from country to country) additional ounces are $.85 (but this is not straightforward so you should check the postal tables on this.

- Global Priority Small Flat Rate Envelope: The cost for this is $5.25 regardless of weight. If you can get it in the package and close it without it being horribly misshapen you can send it for that price. - USE LOTS OF TAPE ON THESE THINGS. Also it is better to package the coins in something else or wrap it with news paper or bubble wrap.

- Global Priority Std Flat Rate Envelope: The cost for this is $9.50 regardless of weight. If you can get it in the package and close it without it being horribly misshapen you can send it for that price. - USE LOTS OF TAPE ON THESE THINGS

Customs:

You are not required to fill out a customs form on any coin package that is less than 16 ounces, though some Post Offices will tell you that you do. Take a look at the Global Priority Packages where it makes that statement.

Miscellaneous:

- Tracking: Not Available to international destinations

- Insurance: Check with Post Office on this but there may be some private insurance options also available.

- Mail Time: Europe is frequently 5-12 days but can take several weeks. Global Priority and International Air both seem to take the same amount of time.

- International Airmail packages need to be either stamped “International Airmail” or the post office has little stickers you can put on your packages. It should be on both the back and front of the package.

- Getting the right stamp denominations can be a problem since there is only so much space on a package.

<snip>

- Global Priority Small Flat Rate Envelope: The cost for this is $5.25 regardless of weight. If you can get it in the package and close it without it being horribly misshapen you can send it for that price. - USE LOTS OF TAPE ON THESE THINGS. Also it is better to package the coins in something else or wrap it with news paper or bubble wrap.

<snip>

Are you sure about this?

From an email I got from the best packager in the US:

"The USPS global flat rates always make me nervous. We're not allowed to reinforce the edges with tape"

He adds an inner mailer taped to the inside.

If only everyone in the US did this with international mail I would have been saved some lost coins. :ph34r:

I use clear tape and re enforce virtually every packge I send and have never had a problem. Interesting side note is that the regulations say that you cannot tape over the postal labels. I talked to my postal guy abut this and as long as they can scan through the tape you can tape over. He took one of my packages put tape over the postage ran a scan on it and it was good to go.

You mean I am not the best packager? :ph34r:

Thanks this is very helpful because I have always been somewhat hesistant about international trades because I wasn't all that sure about how to ship it, except for Canada because you can ship it just like U.S. mail. But since I will be getting my own coin made soon I might need to have the know-how to ship internationally. Thanks a million Steve!

You mean I am not the best packager? :ph34r:

Crake sets a very high standard. B)

(The extract is from an email from him.)

I've received packaging as good as his, but none that is consistently better.

Added in edit:

I’m concentrating on geocoin suppliers here.

I accept that packaging from traders can vary greatly.

Edited by Bunya

Customs:

The actual statement regarding customs forms is that the form is not required for a package of less than 16 ounces AND it contain NO potentially dutiable items. The statement on the GPM packages is abreviated, the usps.com site has the full specifics, which is what the post office may require you to follow.

I use clear tape and re enforce virtually every packge I send and have never had a problem. Interesting side note is that the regulations say that you cannot tape over the postal labels. I talked to my postal guy abut this and as long as they can scan through the tape you can tape over. He took one of my packages put tape over the postage ran a scan on it and it was good to go.

Which probably works out if you can get the envelope ahead of time :D . The smaller post offices tend not to have them sitting out... and if you make the mistake of using the domestic flat rate ones (domestic are blue, international are black) you'll have to repack it etc. Found that out the hard way :D LOL.

I have been chastised by no fewer than 4 separate clerks and 3 separate branches for reinforcing edges of international flat rate envelopes. At first I reinforced all edges, and that was flat out rejected at the post office. Then I reinforced just the flap, covering the pull tabs, and it was accepted, but I was warned that it might be rejected by USPS further up the distribution chain and I would be responsible for postage to resend.

Apparently what really happens is occasionally someone, somewhere, will get a spur up their butt and reject anything and everything that they think violates US postal regs. They not only return the package but also send a nasty gram to the clerk (whose ID is encoded in the postage sticker) and his boss. Recently this happened to a bunch of people in the Austin area, and so they are a bit touchy on this subject.

I will point out that I've never had a returned package.

Here's the official word from the International Mail Manual section 231.2: Do not use excessive tape to keep the envelope or box from bursting. Use only one piece of tape to secure the flap.

This leaves it COMPELTELY open to interpretation! What I've found to be the best option is to use a single piece of tape across the flap, but not across the pull tab. The tape doesn't cover the side seams. I then use the customs form (which is actually quite sticky) as a second piece to secure the flap. The entire package is also taped to the inside in the event the outside package is damaged.

I've now tried these new forms of shipping! They don't accept Global Priority in Greece. I taped all sides of the international packages. They were accepted, but I hope my postal clerk doesn't get in trouble. She has been trying to help. I discovered, I was paying at least 2-3x this amount!! :ph34r: This info has obviously been a tremendous help! Thanks!

Thanks SBD - the wild variety of packaging is a collection in it's own right at my place :lol:

USE A BLUE AIRMAIL STICKER OR YOU RISK IT GOING SURFACE 14+ weeks!

1. things that WILL TEAR your packaging from inside

pins

the edge of the vinyl flips if it is allowed to move around-Single coins travel well just popped in a SMALL mailer - if it's too big the movement is what damages the envelope.

2. things that will jam the mail rollers

anything over 20mm including packaging

bunched coins ( my pet hate quickest way to lose multiple coins! It can't be good for the coins that do make it either - I've seen the flips cut through by the coin edges!)

badly applied tape

The quickest and easiest way to avoid all of the above is to use an internal 'keeper' with the address on it again.

Some ideas that work especially to make multiple coins into a package that stays flat under 20mm

print out the address/email and wrap around the coins

insert coins into a standard envelope, address and fold around the coins.

Address and fold a postcard around the coins.

cut out a corner of an old bubble mailer and pop the coin in that.

secure multiple coins like little sausages or patty cakes with staples to divide the sausages in an old mailer - the global priority will take 2 layers of these easily.

I'll upload some photo's of successful commercial packaging - all have made it some in spite of some holes - I have a single outstanding package from firefly that may have gone surface ). Thanks for all the trades - it's been highly educational ( even the not so fun bits :lol:

FSM please PIN this thread

I will be sending 12 coins to Germany soon. From all you experienced international shippers can I use the small global priority envelope? I plan to put the coins into an inner envelope and tape that inside the global envelope. If that wouldn't be safe what you suggest? Thanks

The flat rate Global Priority Envelopes come in a few sizes and even small boxes. Each are the same price. !2 coins in 1 or 2 bubble mailers inside the big envelope should be good. Refenforce the sides with clear tape if you want, I usually just do the flap. They seem to come open at times.

I use the small boxes for 16+ coins.

I will be sending 12 coins to Germany soon. From all you experienced international shippers can I use the small global priority envelope? I plan to put the coins into an inner envelope and tape that inside the global envelope. If that wouldn't be safe what you suggest? Thanks

The flat rate Global Priority Envelopes come in a few sizes and even small boxes. Each are the same price. !2 coins in 1 or 2 bubble mailers inside the big envelope should be good. Refenforce the sides with clear tape if you want, I usually just do the flap. They seem to come open at times.

I use the small boxes for 16+ coins.

Thanks for the info. Just found out the global priority boxes aren't flat rate like the envelopes are. But if you haven't had problems shipping up to 16 coins then it should work for me too right? LOL

Is insurance available for shipping to Germany? I forgot to ask when I went to the PO today.

Maybe you are interested in some experieces from the buyers side :P

After having some trouble in the last month with german customs here are some recommendations that seem to be valid for most/all shippings from the US to Europe. Please note that the following points are correlated to each other ... (and if you find some explanation strange due to the wording please feel free to use your brain to get my sentences working :bad: )

Customs form

Try to avoid it whenever you can. :huh: If you have to use it, try to mark the shipping as "Gift" with a value of approx. $2 for each coin. The term "novellity tokens" is nice - but most custom officers simply don't know how to deal with it (boy, that was much talking at the customs in order to explain the meaning and use of the coins!). I would expand the term into "novellity tokens / collector items of low value"

Packing

Try to pack as flat as possible! Sure, it's nice to see how much effort has been done in order to protect the coins - but unfortunately that blows up the envelope to a much bigger size (height). 2 bubble-mailer in a single bubble-mailer really makes customs curious! I would sugest to try to use card-board instead as this works also well to protect the coins against scratches ...

Messages in the shipping

Of course it's nice to find a message like "Thanks for buying our coins. Activation codes can be found ..." - but that is really a "point-black" for the customs :P . Reword the message and avoid the terms "customer, buyer, buying"!

You are doing a trade?

Fine ... if its for more than say 4 coins, do your trading partner a favour and put a small message in the letter and let him (and customs) know what the trade looks like. Maybe a sentence like "seems to be a trade of $20 vs $25 ..." will make life much more easier at the customs :o

Ok, as you can see it's mostly about avoiding custom taxes - with 19% taxes here in Germany I think it's quite worth to think about it ;)

Have fun,

Dirk

edited for the most obvious spelling errors

Edited by Team 'zZZz'

Ok, as you can see it's mostly about avoiding custom taxes - with 19% taxes here in Germany I think it's quite worth to think about it :huh:

Does Germany have a baseline value for customs exempt imports by mail? For example , for Australia, it is $1000, for Canada, it is $20 or $60 for gifts.

Interestingly, the US can import (non-gold) coins duty free when declared as HTS code 71181000, as long as they are not legal tender. This is due to WTO agreements, so I wonder for how many other countries this is the case if properly declared? I'm assuming all WTO member nations would be bound by this. Here's a link to the HTS info, for those interested.

Edited by fehrgo

Ok, as you can see it's mostly about avoiding custom taxes - with 19% taxes here in Germany I think it's quite worth to think about it :huh:

Does Germany have a baseline value for customs exempt imports by mail? For example , for Australia, it is $1000, for Canada, it is $20 or $60 for gifts.

Interestingly, the US can import (non-gold) coins duty free when declared as HTS code 71181000, as long as they are not legal tender. This is due to WTO agreements, so I wonder for how many other countries this is the case if properly declared? I'm assuming all WTO member nations would be bound by this. Here's a link to the HTS info, for those interested.

Below the text on this that I could find on the Dutch Customs site:

Exemption from excise duties, VAT and import duties

In some cases, you may be eligible for an exemption from VAT and import duties. For example, you do not have to pay VAT and import duties if the value of the consignment, excluding insurance and freight, is no more than €22.

Another example is that small consignments sent from a private party outside the EU to a private party within the EU are also exempt. If such consignments are occasional and only include goods intended for personal use by yourself or your family, you may request an exemption. Some of the conditions that apply include:

The total value of the consignment may not be more than €45 (excluding insurance and freight). If the value of the consignment is more than €45, you have to pay tax on the total value.

You may only import a limited quantity of excise goods with this exemption

[Edited to include quote from site]

Edited by geo_taz

Below the text on this that I could find on the Dutch Customs site:

Exemption from excise duties, VAT and import duties

In some cases, you may be eligible for an exemption from VAT and import duties. For example, you do not have to pay VAT and import duties if the value of the consignment, excluding insurance and freight, is no more than €22.

Another example is that small consignments sent from a private party outside the EU to a private party within the EU are also exempt. If such consignments are occasional and only include goods intended for personal use by yourself or your family, you may request an exemption. Some of the conditions that apply include:

The total value of the consignment may not be more than €45 (excluding insurance and freight). If the value of the consignment is more than €45, you have to pay tax on the total value.

You may only import a limited quantity of excise goods with this exemption

The same is true (including the values of 22 Euro / 45 Euro) for Germany. It needs to be mentioned that the 45 Euros only can be applied if NO PAYMENT IN ANY FORM has been done for the goods. And at least my customs office interpretes a trade as a form of payment (well, ok, they are right - but I'm not the one to agree on that topic in discussions with them) ...

BUT if customs is interested in an inspection of the shippment then we (as buyers) have to show, that we are the exeption mentioned above. And that's usually the tricky part of it (especially if a message card comes out of the letter saying "Dear customer ...").

So maybe it's no a so bad idea to send a "bill" with the coins where our friendly customs officer can see at the first glance that the goods have a total value of (approx.) $25.

Edited by Team 'zZZz'