frs

MREAGLEWO1

The differences between FRS and GMRS radios:

FRS: (MOST of the radios at Best Buy/Circuit City/Target)

FRS or Family Radios Service radios are compact, handheld, wireless 2-way radios that provide very good clarity over a relatively short range. FRS radios operate on any of 14 dedicated channels (1-14) designated by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) expressly for FRS radio usage. In order to comply with FCC standards, FRS radios have a maximum allowable power of 0.5 milliwatts (or 1/2 watt). FRS radio tranceivers and their antennas may not be modified to extend their range.

FRS radio distinctions:

1) Unlike with CB (citizens band) radios and most other 2-way radios, there is no license required to use an FRS radio.

2) There are no fees for usage, airtime or per-call charges. (Aside from the cost of batteries, they are virtually free to use.)

GMRS:

GMRS or General Mobile Radio Service radios operate on any of up to 8 dedicated channels (15-22) designated by the FCC. GMRS radios typically have power ratings of 1.0 to 5.0 watts and have a maximum allowable power of 50 watts.

GMRS radios are very similar to FRS radios, except for a few important distinctions:

1) GMRS radio use requires you to purchase an FCC operator’s license.

2) GMRS radios generally achieve greater ranges than FRS radios.

3) While FRS radios may not legally be altered, GMRS radios may legally be outfitted or retrofitted with optional antennas, car antennas or home antennas to extend their range. For more information, please visit the FCC online at FCC.gov. Note: Some GMRS radios (those with non-detachable antennas) will not accommodate antenna alterations. If you intend to alter your GMRS radio, please take care to choose a radio with a detachable-style antenna that accommodates your needs.

FRS/GMRS dual-service or "hybrid" radios:

FRS/GMRS 2-way radios are simply dual-service, or "hybrid," radios that provide access to both the FRS and GMRS bands, utilizing FRS channels (1-14) and GMRS channels (15-22). Use of a dual-service radio’s GMRS bands requires an FCC operator’s license. Dual-service radios may be used without an operator’s license, if only the FRS channels are used.

I have a pair of good-quality FRS radios that I take along when caching with my wife or a friend - good for checking out two legs of a tail fork at one time and things like that. They get used very rarely, however, and I would definitely not feel naked without them.

They are practically required for herding cats, er, I mean multi-car cache runs!

We cache in groups quite regularly, just had two wagon-trains form up and go off in different directions after my Christmas party (See pics and logs at GCYJGN ).

It's just about impossible to keep 3 or more cars together, in fact frustrating and even dangerous to try (the tail car always has to run traffic lights to keep up!) so FRS radios are key to a pleasurable coordinated run. Then it's no big deal - the leader just calls out the next cache and it no longer matters if the group stays together.

With two cars cell phones work, albeit slowly and only if you have signal, but with several cars who all need 'next cache' info at once radios are the way to go.

Ham radio (Amatuer Radio Service) are much better, and now that the Morse Code requirements are out of the licensing requirements I hope more cachers will take the simple and cheap ($15.) test and get licensed. Talk 20 miles instead of 2 blocks for not much more cost!

I buy FRS/GMRS radios anytime I find them on sale, own 16 of them, and pass them out to those who don't have them for cache runs... most folks have so much fun they soon buy their own just for this purpose.

For what it's worth, I don't think I have ever met anyone who bought the GMRS license. I expect you will see them wither away like the CB (Citizen Band radio) licensing requirements did - silly and unenforceable it cost more to try to license and police them than it was worth. But for now be aware that you can indeed be prosecuted for using the GMRS frequencies without a license.

Too bad, because my experience with FRS is if I can't hit them with a rock I can't talk to them!

73 de W4AGA

Ed

THe best way to go is a two meter hame radio, the radios are about $125.00, the Lic is good for 10 years, the test is very easy, and best of all., You can find people to talk to on Ham radio most all of the time-this is not the case with FRS/GMRS radios.

Morse code had not been required to the Tech lic. for several years. As far as a sode requirement for HF bands, if is not gone as of this date, but it will been gone on a month or two. When the new FCC report and order is published in the Fed registry, the code requirement will be gone 30 days later.

I'm with TheAlabamaRambler and JohnnyVegas. If you are interested in the radio thing, i'd imagine stepping right into HAM would be your best bet. Just think of it like this, when you are out in the mountains with zero cell reception and you fall and break your leg, there still is a good chance you can catch somebody on your radio when all your cell would be good for is ammo to through at predators in the woods.

For what it's worth, I don't think I have ever met anyone who bought the GMRS license. I expect you will see them wither away like the CB (Citizen Band radio) licensing requirements did - silly and unenforceable it cost more to try to license and police them than it was worth. But for now be aware that you can indeed be prosecuted for using the GMRS frequencies without a license.

You've met me. :wub:

I agree that they'll likely do away with the license requirement eventually, but for now it is a requirement and you can be fined. My understanding is that a lot of these fines are generated by ham users complaining about unlicensed usage. I've played poker with a few hams....so I know just how cut throat they can be. :wub:

The nice thing is the license is for 5 years and it's a "family license." The FCC defines family:

(a) An individual GMRS system licensee may permit immediate family

members to be station operators in his or her GMRS system. Immediate

family members are the:

(1) Licensee;

(2) Licensee's spouse;

(3) Licensee's children, grandchildren, stepchildren;

(4) Licensee's parents, grandparents, stepparents;

(5) Licensee's brothers, sisters;

(6) Licensee's aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews; and

(7) Licensee's in-laws.

So there's a whole bunch of people you can convince to chip in with you to keep it legal. :rolleyes:

Bret

Just a note - I have found the low powered FRS radios to be nearly useless if you get so much as a small hill or pile of boulders between the 2 radios. Even a few hundred feet apart. The stated 2 mile range is only under ideal circumstances. In most of the areas I cache - they are worthless. (I used to use a pair of the Garmin Rino units)

Just a note - I have found the low powered FRS radios to be nearly useless if you get so much as a small hill or pile of boulders between the 2 radios. Even a few hundred feet apart. The stated 2 mile range is only under ideal circumstances. In most of the areas I cache - they are worthless. (I used to use a pair of the Garmin Rino units)

I have a few of the older Motorola units with subchannels, and have never had any issues using them. i've seen close to 2 miles on the highway, with hills and trees in the way. I've also have never had an issue like starbrand has had with being a few hundred feet apart and boulders or a hill in between. I'm not sure why, but my units are over 2 years old, and maybe the newer units are not as good? Maybe it's the batteries?

so I know just how cut throat they can be. :ph34r:

Nothing "cut throat" about HAMS reporting unlicensed usage. It is a matter of survival. The FCC has absolutely ZERO resources to devote to identifying and tracking down offenders. If Hams don't take care of their own bandwidth it will turn into another Citizens Band wasteland.

AB5ON

I'll also add my vote with the others: go 2 meter radio. They are plenty cheap on Ebay and lots of good used equipment out there. I also have some GMRS radios and like them when I travel with non-Ham friends for car to car communication when the range is under 100 yards.

Also; did you know you can combine your GPS with HAM radio? Using APRS you can connect your GPS to your radio and transmit a beacon with your position and speed information. Another station can receive the signal and plot it using software on their computer and watch your movements in real time. Or you can hide it in your 16 year old's car and keep track of him from your PC at home. :-)