Logging Etiquette

DudleyGrunt

I often cache with my son. We work as a team, but each have seperate ID's. When we find a chache together, we each log it as found. Regardless of who actually stumbled upon it. I've always figured that it was a team effort and that we should each log it. I've never thought anything about it until a fellow cacher commented on the practice. Sometimes, if I find it, I'll back off and just tell him and see if he finds on his own, but usually, the finder is excited and calls it out as soon as it's discovered.

Just curious. Does anyone have any opions on this?

I often cache with my son. We work as a team, but each have seperate ID's. When we find a chache together, we each log it as found. Regardless of who actually stumbled upon it. I've always figured that it was a team effort and that we should each log it. I've never thought anything about it until a fellow cacher commented on the practice. Sometimes, if I find it, I'll back off and just tell him and see if he finds on his own, but usually, the finder is excited and calls it out as soon as it's discovered.

It really depends on what the group you are with wants to do. As to a concensus, that probably won't happen in the forums. :)

The groups I have been in generally each sign the log and log it. We all look together and whom ever finds it finds it. I have not been on a "team" per se, however I would imagine that the team name would log it as well, at least in the online log.

You seem to be doing it the same way I do when I am with my boys, a new cacher or it turns out the GC gods are with me that day and I seem to be the first one finding them, I then may fin them but back away to give others a chance.

My husband and I usually cache together, too. If the hide is just an ordinary hide, nothing really outstanding about it, whoever finds it finds it, and we both log it.

On the other hand, if there is something special about the hide --clever or really humerous, hasn't been found before, or extra challenging, for example--whoever finds it first will back off and let the other one see it too, before pulling it out of its hiding place and opening the cache.

If we run into other caches while we are out, we ask them how they would like to handle finds.

My advice is to do what makes you both happy. As far as the forums, there may be as many answers as there are responses. So apparently, we'll all suggest that you do what makes us happy, too! :)

This is exactly what my son (now 6) and I do. He just recently got his own ID. He decided to only log the ones that he found with his new ID, so we are not going back and relogging the ones that he found under my account.

...It really depends on what the group you are with wants to do. As to a concensus, that probably won't happen in the forums. :)

The groups I have been in generally each sign the log and log it. We all look together and whom ever finds it finds it. I have not been on a "team" per se, however I would imagine that the team name would log it as well, at least in the online log....

Exaclty it's decided on by the group you are with. Some groups like to have each individual find them. Others once one person has found the cache everone is happy. Normally when I'm caching with folks is the three muskateers method (all for one one for all).

Sounds like the fellow cacher is just being a stickler for details. That may be the way he plays but it doesn't make it the right way. We cache with a group most of the time and it's just not practical to try the "one person finds and walks away so the others can find" method all the time. We do when we can but sometimes it just doesn't work. If this was a contest then there might be a rule to go by but since it's not, this is just another aspect of geocaching where you should do what makes ya comfortable!

If you have been with a group and one person in the group has found and showed you the cache, it is going to be impossible for that person to hide it back and for you to "find it on your own" because even if you did not see the EXACT hiding spot, you were way close and it is certainly not an unaided find.

"I'll put it back under the log so you can find it now" is just silly. (would be cool for a child though)

Therefore the group find is the best its gonna get on that cache. Log it.

IBTL

I think what you do is fine. I do the same thing when geocaching with my wife or in a small group. I figure I'm part of the team that found it, whether or not I was the one who actually spotted the cache.

However I would only log the find if I actually found it, or was actively involved with the search. Sometimes (usually with larger groups), I'll get to ground zero and the cache is already out and the logbook is being passed around. In those instances I'll sign the logbook, but I won't log it as a find online.

who care's !!! as long as you and your kid have fun finding the cache thats all that really matters..

the fact that both of you log the find is perfectly fine since you were acting as a team... thier is no "i" in team..

the whole point of geocaching is to get out thier with your family or friends and have a good time trying to find the cache as opposed to sitting at home watching t.v.

If you signed the logbook, then you have found it. Log it online. Are you going to go back by yourself later to find it AGAIN and then log a find? It's a game. Have fun and give yourself credit for being part of a group that found it, even if you were drinking from your water bottle at the same moment someone else found the cache. At the very least, log the find and say that you were with "so and so"and stopped to take a drink when they spotted the cache.

Edited by hikerT

This fellow cacher needs to chill out.

Its up to you how you want to play it.

If you want a team id and log under that id for your 'team finds', that's your choice.

Many people who cache together, but log separately will usually operate under one of 2 methods:

* "3 musketeer/all for one" method. Basically if someone finds, you all found it, and everyone logs in.

* "huckle buckle" method (different areas call it something different). Basically everyone needs to find it, but you don't reveal where it is. Thus everyone must spot it themselves. Once everyone has found it, then you pull it out and log it.

It's cool you are looking for advice to do the right thing.

In this case, it's whatever makes you happy because you can never make everyone else happy.

Let geocaching be a tool to teach your son (and ourselves) that we shouldn't judge people because they think differently. Compassion and Tolerance

I tell others that things geocaching offers is seeing things that other people want you to see -- be it a physical location or a point of view. When that guy talked to you about the way you log, simply say "That is one of the things I love about geocaching, your different viewpoint!"

It's cool you are looking for advice to do the right thing.

In this case, it's whatever makes you happy because you can never make everyone else happy.

Let geocaching be a tool to teach your son (and ourselves) that we shouldn't judge people because they think differently. Compassion and Tolerance

I tell others that things geocaching offers is seeing things that other people want you to see -- be it a physical location or a point of view. When that guy talked to you about the way you log, simply say "That is one of the things I love about geocaching, your different viewpoint!"

Hehe.... the people I cache with er...arnt so good at finding stuff. 85% of the time I have found the cache. I see not reason to not let everyone who was with you log it. the point is they went to the location and it got "found"

WOW. I don't see any dissent. I agree that the tread should be locked and recorded for posterities sake.

I think it was just a casual comment that the other fellow made and wasn't directed specifically toward our logging practices. It just made me curious to ask.

I guess the uniformity of answers has put this to bed. Thanks to all.

D.

I'm new to geocaching, and was also wondering about logging etiquette.

I brought my Dad out caching with me a few times, he is new to caching as well, so that he could find caches that I already found. He logged these finds. In his log he stated that he was just tagging along learning how to cache. I hope that I haven't broken any cache etiquette rule in doing this. If so, should he delete these logs? Any feedback is appreciated.

Does Santa read the forums?

Around here it varies from day to day, and even cache to cache. Sometimes one member of the multi-team party will proclaim 'Here it is!', and other times the group will circle each other like prizefighters looking for an opening, and finally someone will say, ' I found it, let me know when you're ready to give up!'

Either way, everyone has a good time and nobody is excluded no matter how much help they need to 'see the light'! :laughing: