I pod

Pastram

If you have a Mac, then MacCaching will support Paperless Caching with an iPod in a couple of days.

(In fact, I'm taking a break from the code now...)

That sounds excellent.... The video tutorial using GSAK and an iPod has got me excited, but I have a Mac and therefore don't have GSAK.... If this will allow me to do the same then it will be the perfect Xmas present.

Good work.

Al.

One very simple option, although only really useful when dealing with a small number of caches, is to copy and paste the webpage into a text application, and save it as Plain Text - then transfer it to the Notes section of your iPod.

You do need to fiddle about a bit though to delete any unnecessary hyperlinks / pictures etc - but, it does give you the basis of getting the main info across.

Hope this helps....

GPSBabel allows you to convert a .gpx or .loc file to a vCard file, which can then be stored in the Contacts section of your iPod. It actually works quite nicely. (Yes, even on a Mac ;))

Just downloaded GPDBabel and gave it a go, but can't find a vCard option in the output file types.... Which option do you select??

Al.

Hmm, that's weird. vCard is the 2nd one from the bottom of the output files list. Says "vCard Output (for iPod)". Are you using GPSBabel version 1.3.2? It says in the upper right corner of the window.

GPSBabel allows you to convert a .gpx or .loc file to a vCard file, which can then be stored in the Contacts section of your iPod. It actually works quite nicely. (Yes, even on a Mac ;))

Just downloaded GPDBabel and gave it a go, but can't find a vCard option in the output file types.... Which option do you select??

Al.

Hmm, that's weird. vCard is the 2nd one from the bottom of the output files list. Says "vCard Output (for iPod)". Are you using GPSBabel version 1.3.2? It says in the upper right corner of the window.

Aha... I have 1.3.1... Just downloaded it though, so I shall take a look for the 1.3.2 version.

Weird... I've downloaded version 1.3.2 and the .dmg file that I get is called gpsbabel_1_3_2 but when I open the app it has 1.3.1 in the top right hand corner.... No vCard option either.

Cheers.

Al.

Edited by forcesofnature

The strait forward way to download to your ipod (use it as a removable harddrive) with WINDOWS XP is:

-open itunes

-have your ipod on and connected to the computer

-in itunes, goto your ipod settings (select the device in the left menu)

-with the "Summary" tab selected (the first tab) note the bottom "Options"

-select the checkbox "Enable disk use"

That is all there is to it. When you connect your ipod to a computer it will now be recognized as a removable drive. You can download to, move to and from, copy, delete, etc. from your ipod as you would with any standard drive on a computer.

NOTE:

After enabling disk use you will need to "stop" your ipod before disconnecting it from the computer. Disconnecting your ipod while data is being transfered, or the device is not stopped, can corrupt the data present on the ipod or damage your ipod.

The strait forward way to download to your ipod (use it as a removable harddrive) with WINDOWS XP is:

-open itunes

-have your ipod on and connected to the computer

-in itunes, goto your ipod settings (select the device in the left menu)

-with the "Summary" tab selected (the first tab) note the bottom "Options"

-select the checkbox "Enable disk use"

That is all there is to it. When you connect your ipod to a computer it will now be recognized as a removable drive. You can download to, move to and from, copy, delete, etc. from your ipod as you would with any standard drive on a computer.

NOTE:

After enabling disk use you will need to "stop" your ipod before disconnecting it from the computer. Disconnecting your ipod while data is being transfered, or the device is not stopped, can corrupt the data present on the ipod or damage your ipod.

I agree as that is the easiest way to use an iPod as a removable hard drive, but I believe the original poster wanted to know how to use it for paperless caching, in the same fashion one would use a PDA. In that case, the aforementioned programs will get the job done right nicely.