Cacher of the Month - points for adopting - Yes or No?

scottpa100

At the end of each month, I tally up my points and I put them on the cacher of the month website. Just for fun really. You get points for completing caches, setting out caches, moving TB's, releasing new TB's and getting trig points. There is nothing for adopting a cache or is adopting the same as setting out a new cache?

So I sent this message to Adam who runs the cacher of the month website

Hi Adam,

this may be a question for a forum or something - I don't know. I'm hoping to adopt a cache in my locality - if we can trace the owner to provide permission! Anyhow do I get points for placing cache? Or do we need points to be allocated to adopting a cache? And if so do we get less because all we've done is taken on responsibility its not like that we've had to think of location and / or ideas or should you get more points because of the moral high ground of adopting a cache?

Food for thought!

Cheers

Scott

So I was just wondering what others thought on the matter?

snip><You get points for completing caches, setting out caches, moving TB's, releasing new TB's and getting trig points.

Someone else has done the work of setting up the cache. Points for adopting it? No.

However "Well Done" on helping to keep a cache going (If its worth keeping going)

(You could always adopt it, archive it, then replace it with your own! <_< then you would get the points!)

G

We all play the game differently.

If you are happy giving yourself a few points for adopting a cache, go ahead.

I've personally given myself points for adopting a cache once this year, as the old cache was trashed, and I went to the trouble of creating a better cache and finding a new location nearby.

If I hadn't of counted it, I would have come 42nd that month instead of 40th - hardly something to write home about!

do we need points to be allocated to adopting a cache?

A fair point in my opinion.

From the adopters point of view I can see a valid argument for defining the adopted cache as a 'laid cache' and so warrant points in the table. By the same token however the original owner should then lose points for releasing his/her cache: not something that most people would think acceptable.

Maybe the system is good just as it is <_<

Jon

We recently adopted 3 caches that we had never found, so when we found them we gave ourselves find points

As a matter of idle interest...if one adopts a cache that you haven't found, then go and find it, it appears on GeocacheUK.com in the list of 'caches which have been logged by their owner'.

Do you think in this particular circumstance these should be excluded from the statistics?

Jon

We recently adopted 3 caches that we had never found, so when we found them we gave ourselves find points

As a matter of idle interest...if one adopts a cache that you haven't found, then go and find it, it appears on GeocacheUK.com in the list of 'caches which have been logged by their owner'.

Do you think in this particular circumstance these should be excluded from the statistics?

Jon

This statistic also occurs if you find a cache and then adopt it some time later. Having adopted 16 caches, I appear in this 'naughty' list for 16 seperate 'offences' :)

Jon

This statistic also occurs if you find a cache and then adopt it some time later. Having adopted 16 caches, I appear in this 'naughty' list for 16 separate 'offences' :)

I will admit I have claimed a cache this month that according to GC I adopted. The cache in question had been set by an overseas tourist, and was put up for adoption prior to approval. I adopted it, and then in order to see it accepted, moved it a significant distance (1.5 km - far enough that the approver had to change the location). Additionally I replaced the container and logbook. Too all practical purposes, it was a new cache, with the exception that it retained it's original name and GC code.