Toys for Tots and other non profit organizations

Poidawg

It is that time of year again and I was wondering how we all here at the geocaching community can assist with those less fortunate. During my quest for good inexpensive swag I am now starting to think ahead and have purchased two of everything, one for geocaching and one for the toys for tots barrel. I was wondering if the geocaching community was planning anything special or if Im way off the mark here and should not even be posting... :huh:

It is that time of year again and I was wondering how we all here at the geocaching community can assist with those less fortunate. During my quest for good inexpensive swag I am now starting to think ahead and have purchased two of everything, one for geocaching and one for the toys for tots barrel. I was wondering if the geocaching community was planning anything special or if Im way off the mark here and should not even be posting... :huh:

How about posting the coordinates of the containers with a strict "trade up or trade even" requirement: :huh:

I think we should all assist as best/if we can as humans, not geocachers.

You might also wanna read this, to get a little more guidance on geocaching for charity:

First, we do not want to have to admit/deny caches based upon our perceived merits of the specific agenda, position, organization or charitable cause. Most opinions vary when it comes to issues like these and we have no interest in hosting the battleground or becoming an arbiter.

Second, this web site is about geocaching and we do not wish to see it converted to a platform for issues, whether good, bad or otherwise.

There are plenty of ways to donate to charity and plenty of ways to help out. We encourage you to find them and participate to the extent you believe it is right. We certainly do.

Now, I realize that this post and action will most likely cause another uproar. Personally, I am sorry that we did not enforce this guideline sooner. The blame for this lies solely with Groundspeak and not the volunteers. As far as this web site is concerned, we plan to do our best to keep it related to geocaching and we hope you like it.

Sincerely,

Rothstafari

Groundspeak

www.geocaching.com

Edited by Mopar

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#commercial

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

Even though it is not posted as an event our local organization that Clan Baron belongs to as well has been donating to Toys for Tots and other organizations for 5 years now . We conduct the drive through our web site and forums. Each year has gotten bigger and better. Last year we brought a pick up truck full of toys to a local charity.

I think we should all assist as best/if we can as humans, not geocachers.

You might also wanna read this, to get a little more guidance on geocaching for charity:

First, we do not want to have to admit/deny caches based upon our perceived merits of the specific agenda, position, organization or charitable cause. Most opinions vary when it comes to issues like these and we have no interest in hosting the battleground or becoming an arbiter.

Second, this web site is about geocaching and we do not wish to see it converted to a platform for issues, whether good, bad or otherwise.

There are plenty of ways to donate to charity and plenty of ways to help out. We encourage you to find them and participate to the extent you believe it is right. We certainly do.

Now, I realize that this post and action will most likely cause another uproar. Personally, I am sorry that we did not enforce this guideline sooner. The blame for this lies solely with Groundspeak and not the volunteers. As far as this web site is concerned, we plan to do our best to keep it related to geocaching and we hope you like it.

Sincerely,

Rothstafari

Groundspeak

www.geocaching.com

I understand where the OP is coming from, and I understand where GS is coming from, but aren't the new Unite for Diabetes TB's promoting an agenda? Not to split hairs but...

Long story short, you can put together an event, but not place it here. There are lots of places on the internet to post stuff like that.

--MGb

I understand where the OP is coming from, and I understand where GS is coming from, but aren't the new Unite for Diabetes TB's promoting an agenda? Not to split hairs but...

As noted in other threads this week, that's not splitting hairs, it's comparing apples and oranges. Charity-themed travel bugs have been around for ages. There are no restrictions on your making your own travel bug, other than the site Terms of Use. The cache placement guidelines don't apply.

You could go place 20,000 Toys for Tots travel bugs and I bet Groundspeak wouldn't mind one bit. Even after discounting the price of the tags.

I would say the suggestion of an event cache would be the way to go. Everyone bring a toy to contribute, maybe meet where they are collecting them. Great charity in any case, every kid needs a Christmas.

Actually, as it's been pointed out in this thread, an event cache is NOT the way to go. As much as I'd love to host such events and I think they'd been well received, TPTB have made it clear that they don't want charity-related events or caches.

I would say the suggestion of an event cache would be the way to go. Everyone bring a toy to contribute, maybe meet where they are collecting them. Great charity in any case, every kid needs a Christmas.

Actually, as it's been pointed out in this thread, an event cache is NOT the way to go. As much as I'd love to host such events and I think they'd been well received, TPTB have made it clear that they don't want charity-related events or caches.

ahh well if that's the case, I'm wrong then. I'm sure they have their reasons.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#commercial

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

One line in this post catches my eye.

"Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first."

You could try asking. It is a long shot, but that's what it says.

1. For event caches, it is OK to have a charity aspect as just one part of a larger event. It cannot be a focal point of the event. But if there is a holiday party with food, games, Secret Santa gifts, new caches to find, and a charity donation table, you can make mention of the charity thing on the cache page. But do the promotion work in your local forum.

2. For event caches, it is OK to feature the new UNite for Diabetes travel bugs.

3. For physical caches, you would need to write to Groundspeak for permission on a case by case basis. In my experience, permission for toy collection caches, donation caches, etc., is given rarely, if ever.

So it would be OK to hold a christmas party event and add to the disciption that a donation of a new toy would be appreciated at the event but not necessary to attend it.

Well, it would have to be a winter party if you really didn't want to promote an agenda... :mad::)<_<

Seriously, I see absolutely nothing wrong with incorporating a toy drive into your event as long as it isn't the focal point, as Keystone said. In fact, I think it's a great idea. People on the forums tend to be more sensitive about this stuff than normal cachers :)

Edited by Cache Heads

So it would be OK to hold a christmas party event and add to the disciption that a donation of a new toy would be appreciated at the event but not necessary to attend it.

Well, it would have to be a winter party if you really didn't want to promote an agenda... :):D<_<

Seriously, I see absolutely nothing wrong with incorporating a toy drive into your event as long as it isn't the focal point, as Keystone said. In fact, I think it's a great idea. People on the forums tend to be more sensitive about this stuff than normal cachers :)

The sensitive people in the forums aren't the ones making the decisions. :)

:mad:

<_< Here is an auction at THAT place that is for a Very cool RARE geocoin being sold for the Marine's Toys for Tots. They're hard enough to find in the wild, and this is the #1 coin to boot. It ends tomorrow so check it out. I hope me posting this doesn't ruffle any feathers. It's NOT my auction and I'm not promoting the sale, I am just making others aware of the opportunity to help out Toys For Tots. Happy Holidays to all. :mad:

[Link removed by moderator. Geocoin sales can only be promoted in the Geocoins Forum!]

Sorry bout' that, I shoulda known better. =o)

Edited by 57chevy