State License Plates

shubs

I'm in Illinois and wondering if anybody would be interested in a Geocaching License Plate? I believe that the state would allow it as a sport. We could use it to raise money for a charity or to promote CITO. I think that it would be great to help identify a fellow Geocacher on the hunt. What do you think?

Good grief, we have so many different plates now in VA I don't see there being any minimum. Used to be that there was only one standard blue and white plate. Then someone got the idea to do a couple of plates with cardinals and mountains. Then I blinked and now when you go to the DMV there is a wall with literally hundreds of plates! A geocaching plate would be cool, I'd get one.

Ohio's website doesn't say, but I know personalized plates are an extra $35 per year, even if you only get a renewal sticker that year. Sorry, cool as it is, $70 is more than I want to pay for plates.

I just renewed the plates on my wife's van, they were 412.50, I would LOVE to pay $70.00 for a plate!!! I wouldn't care what it said on it :)

I believe Ohio does require sales of 500 plates, and it doesn't always work. Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science didn't do well with one. I liked the Cardinal on the Wildlife plate, it's on my Jeep, Koilady has an Ohio State University plate, and the Blue Bird on the Ohio State Parks tag is on my motor home. It's the only one that has to do with caching. (see avatar). GC co-ordinating a Geocaching plate through 50 states would be a monumental undertaking. It might work with the generic public domain geocaching "G" done on a local initiative. I dunno how many could be sold though. Interesting concept.

HG

Ohio's website doesn't say, but I know personalized plates are an extra $35 per year, even if you only get a renewal sticker that year. Sorry, cool as it is, $70 is more than I want to pay for plates.

I just renewed the plates on my wife's van, they were 412.50, I would LOVE to pay $70.00 for a plate!!! I wouldn't care what it said on it :huh:

Does that include a personal property tax? Around here we pay $30 to renew our (standard) plates. Personal plates are $10 extra a year. Some of the plates with pictures cost extra every year some do not. I used to have Jamestown plates they cost me $10 extra one time but never again. Also the money from most of those plates goes to some kind of nonprofit group (i.e. "Jamestown" plate went to the Jamestown 400th anniversary celebration, "Autism" licence plates goes to a group researching Autism, etc.)

However we also pay a personal property tax that renews annually and can be in that range depending on how new of a car you have. You get a sticker for your car window for this one.

GCYPFF, That's Rubbish............

shows my license plate which is my Geocaching name

as well as my Ham Radio Call Sign.

Me too! In California ham radio plates are available for a $20 one-time.

I don't know what the funds raised by the fudraising part of geocaching license plates would be used for--it has to be a registered charity and used for charitable purposes. Geocaching wouldn't be a charitable function in California, nor under IRS rules.

Dave_W6DPS

GCYPFF, That's Rubbish............

shows my license plate which is my Geocaching name

as well as my Ham Radio Call Sign.

Me too! In California ham radio plates are available for a $20 one-time.

I don't know what the funds raised by the fudraising part of geocaching license plates would be used for--it has to be a registered charity and used for charitable purposes. Geocaching wouldn't be a charitable function in California, nor under IRS rules.

Dave_W6DPS

Yep, like $20 or $21 i forget, and to transfer to a new vehicle i think its $7, mine are currently hanging on my wall since I no longer live in California...

kf6jax_plate.jpg