When is A Cache not A Cache

Jackplug

With the usual rush of activity once a new cache has been published, with everyone trying for the FTF, it would make sense for the cache to actually be in place - would it not?

It certainly would - I caught myself out this way once having set up a cache but not yet placed it, I had a message from a cacher I had never met before that he was on his way to my patch to find it. Rushed it into the oven to dry the paint, shot up to the cache site (0.75 miles!), hid it and then stood back to be rewarded a few minutes later by seeing said gentleman coming through bushes behind - he was a little surprised to hear his real name called out! He went on to be the first in UK to 1000. B)

I won't make that mistake again, :(

"Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)"

We do not see the cache page for review until the box marked as above is ticked.

If the box is ticked we see the cache page and assume that the infomation is corect......................

Seems like an honest oversight, and you can probably bet your bottom dollar they won't do it again!

The real question to my mind is this, did they deserve naming and shaming in a public forum? Probably not, a simple thread reminding people to make sure the cache is out there when the page is published would probably have done the trick just as well.

I'm not trying to take away from your frustration, but I feel we must support eachother in this community, especially someone who has taken the time and trouble to contribute to the game for us all. B)

I fully agree with Dorsetgal & GeoDog that it was surely an oversight - don't call me Shirley! :(

Shame on Jackplug B) for naming an shaming someone putting out a cache, the point could easily have been made without the link. Whilst I agree the cache should have been in place before submission it's an easy mistake to make, especially as the new cache report defaults to having the submission box already checked. If FTFs are what drives you then you'll have to take the rough with the smoothe.

Many thanks davidwk for being brave enough to place caches. You deserve congatulating B) not deriding. I hope you get loads of enjoyment from all the positive logs who enjoy your cache - just ignore the moaners, they even exist in Geocaching I'm afraid.

Edited by FollowMeChaps

How can it possibly be an "oversight" to fill in a form saying you've placed a cache and asking for it to be published, without actually having placed the cache?

A slightly different example: a cache has recently been placed near to us. We checked the coords on Fugawi, TrackLogs and GoogleEarth. All said they were in the middle of a field well away from the described spot. We queried it with the owner and he's privately told us what the coords really are. But he hasn't changed the published coords nor (as he might be waiting for a reviewer to do it) posted a note or disabled the cache. So people could be out there now looking for the cache in a place it isn't.

People spend time and money seeking caches. They don't want to waste either. A little thought and care is all that's required.

And another cache, apparently near us, has, after three teams DNFed it, just been updated to correct the hemisphere. :(

I sent a cache for review with the wrong country checked! The kind reviewer for the Western Sahara suggested that I might want to change the location to the UK. B)

A slightly different example: a cache has recently been placed near to us. We checked the coords on Fugawi, TrackLogs and GoogleEarth. All said they were in the middle of a field well away from the described spot. We queried it with the owner and he's privately told us what the coords really are. But he hasn't changed the published coords nor (as he might be waiting for a reviewer to do it) posted a note or disabled the cache. So people could be out there now looking for the cache in a place it isn't.

Assuming this is a recent cache beside the Motorway I find this a little harsh as I know the owner. He is new to Geocaching and doesn't use the forums He made a simple mistake on the coords which he has rectified by notifying the admins and putting a note on the cache with the right coords. Anyone looking for the cache can refer to the note. He didn't do it deliberately and I know he is a little upset about it. And as it happens it's a very nice field....

I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't unfortunate, however, if ritual humiliation on these boards is a consequence of a simple error, oversight, call it what you will, then people, quite rightly will shy away from settng caches in the first place.

Then where will we be?

Come on now, nobody died did they?

Here here