Byways Open to All Traffic

sssss

Having done a couple of caches on byways open to all traffic (BOAT'S) on new toy :huh: , I am just trying to set up a bookmark listing for caches on them.

If you know of any caches that are on a BOAT please let me know and I will add it or if this has already been done on a bookmark can anyone point me in that direction.

Thanks

SSSSS

........caches on byways open to all traffic (BOAT'S)......
A 4 wheel drive boat?!!! What's the world coming to!
It's already been done on Top Gear. A Toyota HiLux, I believe. It sunk in the end, but only because of an over-sharp turn which swamped it.

As I understood it, a byway will be marked on an OS map with red -+-+-+-+- marks, and are open to walkers, cyclists, horse riders, motorbike riders and drivers. Some of the year they may be closed to powered traffic, and this will be signposted. What are these byways which aren't open to all traffic, at least some of the time? Surly a byway that's only for cycles, walkers and horses is actually a bridleway?

Having done a couple of caches on byways open to all traffic (BOAT'S) on new toy :lol: , I am just trying to set up a bookmark listing for caches on them.

If you know of any caches that are on a BOAT please let me know and I will add it or if this has already been done on a bookmark can anyone point me in that direction.

Great idea.

How about this one : GCGRA6

I've been meaning to try that track but not had the chance yet - Perhaps this could herald the launch of a Geoaching UK 4x4 sub-group... <Flame retardant suit on> :lol:

P.S. Simple Paul - They are marked as green +-+- on my OS Explorer Map of the Lakes - Not sure if there is a difference.

BOATs and ORPAs (red dots on 1:50 OS Landranger) are still legaly driveable, assuming a TRO (Traffic Restriction Order) hasn't been enforced. All others are now Restricted Byways and not drivable under NERC.

When ever you intend to drive a BOAT or an ORPA you should always check it's current status with the council's Rights of Way Officer or someone else who has recently.

Slightly off topic of Byway Bookmark Lists (not Boat lists!). Just thought I'd add some broad brush clarification of Rights of Way (RoW).

Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) shown as red crosses and dashes on OS 1:50,000 maps are legal RoWs for motorised traffic (although subject to local/temporary restrictions).

Road Used as Public Path (RUPP) shown as red short and long dashes on OS 1:50,000 maps became Restricted Byways earlier this year and as a result are effectively no more than a Bridleway (shown as long red dashes on OS 1:50,000 maps) open to cycles, horses and walkers.

The whole field (excuse the pun) has been broadened under Right to Roam. Also regulations governing RoWs differ in Scotland.

Just a thought... Footpaths (shown as short red dashes on OS 1:50,000 maps) are only for walkers but before you go sounding off at the rider of a horse you meet down a footpath just bear in mind it might be the owner of the land!