Dangerous Animals

lhenslee

I recently made a cache on the banks of the Susitna river in Alaska and wanted to warn people about bear dangers. I wrote that people should bring mace or a pistol but i was astonished to find that there was no "Dangerous Animal" attribute button. There should be one! With a picture of a bear or moose or something. I think it would be useful.

Thoughts?

lhenslee

If you are hunting a cache in the Alaska wilderness I would think that the local cachers know the dangers of bears.

Then again it might not be a bad idea for an attribuute.

El Diablo

There are many places that have more bears than usual. For example, the place where this particular cache lies is in the only spot that I know of in Alaska where it is legal to hunt and kill TWO bears in a day!

There is a snakes attribute:

snakes-yes.gif

There's an attribute to warn you against being overcome by a horde of rampaging ticks:

ticks-yes.gif

There is even an attribute for rabid wild dogs:

dogs-yes.gif

Most recently, an attribute was added for the fierce cows, piggies, sheep and other livestock that guard caches:

cow-yes.gif

But if you should run into a bear, I suppose the thinking is that an attribute ain't gonna help you.

danger-yes.gif

I was thinking just yesterday while at the Fall fling, how many cachers had been bit by snakes?? You see so many people thrusting there hands into hollows looking for caches. I'm sort of leary about that. But, hey I'm so new.

count me as one. Ironically while hunting a cache named "Snake in the Grass" it was just a garter snake, I don't know what that snake's problem was, I just wanted to pick it up for a little while :laughing:

If the cache is placed in the bear's den then it should not have been. Otherwise, it is fair to assume that anyone who seeks it should be aware of the psooibility of dangerous animals that exists on the Earth in general and in Alaska in particular.

Personally I think all those warning icons are kinda silly. Snakes, ticks, thorns, bears, muggles, dogs, grannys with frying pans, and rednecks with no teeth that play the banjo are pretty much available anywhere.

:huh:

If the cache is placed in the bear's den then it should not have been. Otherwise, it is fair to assume that anyone who seeks it should be aware of the psooibility of dangerous animals that exists on the Earth in general and in Alaska in particular.

Personally I think all those warning icons are kinda silly. Snakes, ticks, thorns, bears, muggles, dogs, grannys with frying pans, and rednecks with no teeth that play the banjo are pretty much available anywhere.

:(

:huh:B)B)B)B):DB) Good point! B)

If you are hunting a cache in the Alaska wilderness I would think that the local cachers know the dangers of bears.

El Diablo

There are many places that have more bears than usual. For example, the place where this particular cache lies is in the only spot that I know of in Alaska where it is legal to hunt and kill TWO bears in a day!

Why would anyone want to kill a bear...must less two? Unless of course it was trying to kill you first. :huh:

Back on topic. I do think that an attribute for bear or cougar would be a good idea for those areas that have such critters. Around here all I have is a large male house cat with a poor disposition that thinks he's a jungle cat, until he runs across the female yard cat that knows she's a jungle cat. :(

El Diablo

lol I noticed that cattle one when submitting a few caches, all I could think was what's up with that? I have yet to see a cache where one has to dodge livestock

Ive looked for several that required dodging cows. One I cant forget....you pass a sign that said for the next 33 miles watch out for livestock as they are free range. And that they were! Had to stop often and let them move aside. Tried to coerce a few into my rig for dinner, but I think they understood what I REALLY meant. :huh:

Another you walk through a preserve where there were SEVERAL cows that helped me look for the cache. Quite nice they were, thank goodness.....as they took me to and from the cache. But I still turned around every few steps and waved my arms like a mad woman to back them off just a teeny bit. Strange, none of them wanted to come home with me either....... :(

Edited by nutlady

El Diablo

Why would anyone want to kill a bear...must less two? Unless of course it was trying to kill you first. :mad:

Back on topic. I do think that an attribute for bear or cougar would be a good idea for those areas that have such critters. Around here all I have is a large male house cat with a poor disposition that thinks he's a jungle cat, until he runs across the female yard cat that knows she's a jungle cat. :D

El Diablo

some people like to hunt and eat bears... I dont think they have the best flavor, but, whatever. had not thought of cougars, but it is a good point. moose too.

lol I noticed that cattle one when submitting a few caches, all I could think was what's up with that? I have yet to see a cache where one has to dodge livestock

Some time ago, I had to get out of my Jeep and shove some cows out of the road so I could drive to a cache.

Yes, it does happen. Some areas more then others. The praries for example have large stockyards with very few fences.

c0f2e37b-0e9c-4d8b-b7d9-b4d29cde1dc8.jpg

I agree. I recently set a cache where I saw a Griz on the way up the mountain near the cache site. The cache is also 1000' elevation change off-trail. I've added warnings, but it would be nice to have an icon where I don't rate the cache high becuase of the bear, but because of the difficulty/terrain.

As it is, I've upped the ratings because of it.

We had to outwait a bull last weekend before putting on the river where a cache was located. The cache itself wasn't near the bull's field, but about the only reasonable way to get to the cache was to float that section of river.

AR_kayaker

In Mexico many areas don’t have fences to keep livestock in, even where fences exist, livestock escapes. Many people won’t drive at night due to fear of hitting a cow, horse, sheep or donkey and it totaling the vehicle and possibly killing them in the process. Down south many trucks put on a cow pusher front bumper. A cow pusher is a heavy steel bumper covering the entire front of the vehicle. My 4WD has one as it is meant for driving in Mexico, and it gives me enough peace of mind to drive at night. Sometimes it helps me pushing my way through a herd of sheep on the road. If you set a cache in any ranching area it is possible to run into livestock. :bad:

There is a snakes attribute:

snakes-yes.gif

There's an attribute to warn you against being overcome by a horde of rampaging ticks:

ticks-yes.gif

There is even an attribute for rabid wild dogs:

dogs-yes.gif

Most recently, an attribute was added for the fierce cows, piggies, sheep and other livestock that guard caches:

cow-yes.gif

But if you should run into a bear, I suppose the thinking is that an attribute ain't gonna help you.

danger-yes.gif

Hey Lep! Anything there for wild ninja hamsters?!? :D