remote caches

Foinavon

Does any one know which are the remotest caches in the UK in terms of

(1) Their distance from another cache?

(2) The longest walk?

I would imagine (2) would fall into the scottish highlands somewhere but (1) is difficult because somebody may have put several caches in a remote spot. Which cache is all on its own with no neighbours for miles around?

I like the remote ones. My count is not as high as it could be as on the rare occasions when I have had a whole day to go caching I have ended up finding one or two lonely moorland caches instead of bagging about

twenty odd more urban ones.

(2) The longest walk?

I would imagine (2) would fall into the scottish highlands somewhere but (1) is difficult because somebody may have put several caches in a remote spot. Which cache is all on its own with no neighbours for miles around?

I like the remote ones. My count is not as high as it could be as on the rare occasions when I have had a whole day to go caching I have ended up finding one or two lonely moorland caches instead of bagging about

Can agree with you on that one day one cache can be much more enjoyable than number crunching.

Sounds like you need geohikes a search by high value terrain on GUK or have a look at our bookmark list of D4 T4 and above caches most of which provide a high physical and mental challenge.

Im sure someone can come along and identify the UK's lonliest cache. :laughing:

One of the more remote caches (south of Scotland) is SAS: Are you tough enough?. It's a hike of almost 4 miles across the Black Mountain in the Brecon Beacons. Having proved you're tough enough, you can carry on east... ford the Afon Twrch and head up to the the trig point (TP1826) on Bwlch y Ddeu-Wynt. That has to be one of the most remote TPs south of the Scottish border. I did these plus another three caches and one trig on a 13 mile, 9 hour hike last Easter. I never saw another soul until I got back to the car. The solitude was awesome.

(2) The longest walk?

Kipling Cache is a long and tough walk and at 14 mile round trip is certainly a hard cache, and it is not far from you ;)

Hmmm.. just spotted a flaw in my algorithm, but the cache furthest from any other as far as I can find thus far is Inveralmond CH School box by weststandman, the next nearest being Tobermory (Mull) some 33.5 miles away.

Thanks Rutson, I see from your profile you are a stats lover like myself.

As for the other ones listed the one at Rannoch Moor is about 4 miles from the next nearest cache but the SAS and Kipling are within a mile of other caches. Kipling sure looks a tempter.

Looks like this is the Top 10, third column is metres(ish) from nearest active cache, so the Inveralmond school one appear to be 'it'

U-110 GCJN6Z 1498601

Grockles Gumbo: Here Be Treasure! GCH816 234721

Wanstead Park Mystery cache (bonus) GCM93T 164411

Summit to Sea - The Hidden Cache GCGHJJ 134311

Cuckoo Cache (could be anywhere) GC4C35 84401

Inveralmond CH School box GCJVHA 53951

Out on a limb GCB59F 42311

Mountbellew GCQDZ9 35861

Knock Airport Travelbug Hotel GCJQXC 32761

Rum & Egg GCPNZJ 30841

Edited by rutson

My "Summit to the Sea" cache is not in the sea! It doesn't rate as a long way from anywhere really, as these are dummy coordinates. The actual cache can only be found if you do the rest of the "Summit" series. So far, in 3 years, it's only been found six times and not at all since September 2005.

The actual distance to the nearest Trad cache is probably about 2.5 miles!

However, it is quite watery where it is..... :):)

Is there an easy way of working out the top five or ten most remote (from other caches) caches in the past? Be interesting to see how distances have changed over time. If anyone has the skills and knowledge (and time, and will...) to do this, I'd love to know the state of affairs on the 23rd of June 2005 - for my own personal reasons.