GPS car mounts

Geo-Kate

Hi everyone.

Many of you guys use your caching GPS or a seperate one to get your cachemobiles to your destinations...

I just recieved my Garmin Nuvi, and it comes with two mounting options, both using the sucker. One is, obviously, just to stick it to the windscreen, the other option is to stick a disk with a shiny, smooth face to your dashboard. The sucker then sticks to that.

I really like the dashboard idea, there is a perfect spot on my new Honda Civic (:laughing:) that I want to mount it on as it won't leave a sucker ring on the screen, and it will not be obscuring any part of my view.

Have any of you used this kind of thing before, because it says nothing about it in the manual, and I'm worried about permantly defacing the dash should I wish to remove at a later date.

Thanks for any help.

Well, IMHO, it is a good idea to leave as little trace as possible that a SatNav system is used in the car, The shiny disk, would always be visible, so might attract the wrong kind of person, go for the windscreen, and take a cloth to buff the area when removed :laughing:

Yeah, that occured to me, too, but until today, I would not have known what shiny disk is on a dashboard!

I have a yellow dusting cloth in the car anyway, good for taking the haze off the inside of the screen, and to remove the ring marks from my old mount.

I guess I was hoping somebody would say "yeah, they're great, work really well, and are easy to remove!".

Thanks for the advice, Moote.

It depends abit on exactly what adhesive they've used. It ranges from "doesn't really stick at all" right up to "can't get it off without a f$%&^*g crow bar".

Most of the more permanent types will tear the substrate if you gently prise them off with a knife blade and leave the adhesive stuck on the dash. This can easilly be cleaned off with a cloth moistened with cigarette lighter fuel (the liquid... not the gas!!) which is safe on most plastics. Check on an out of sight bit first, just to make sure.

If you do stick it on the dash, clean the dash with aforementioned lighter fuel first to remove any traces of polish or mould release agent.

I dont like to leave any evidence that I have a GPS or any other evidence of an electonic gizmo in use any where inside my car so I just use a blob of blutack on my dashboard and stick the gps to that and stick the bluetack in the cubbyhole when I leave the car :D Cheap but it works for me.

Brodit mounts are good, I use two, one for the 'phone cradle and one for the PDA. No vibration etc... and because the clip into place, can be removed easily if required.

Brodit website

Bought them from GPSfor less

BRODIT BRODIT BRODIT ....everytime. :D

Well engineered and made to fit each model of car specifically.

For my car it listed 3 options for the various airvents.

Clips on and off relatively easily for out of sight storage.

No glue or screws to damage your car.

No rings on your windscreen.

Brilliant.

Cheers

Dave

Brodit mounts are good, I use two, one for the 'phone cradle and one for the PDA. No vibration etc... and because the clip into place, can be removed easily if required.

Brodit website

BRODIT BRODIT BRODIT ....everytime. <_<

Brilliant.

Cheers

Dave

My car isn't listed, they have the last generation (05) Civic, not the new one. There is nothing 'standard' about the interior, i wouldn't risk getting any one in the hope it may work, I have attached a picture of a LHD car to show what i mean. I think i will just stick it to the screen when I want to use it...

civic_interior.jpg

If I put one over the vents, it may stop the CD player working...

Brodit website

BRODIT BRODIT BRODIT ....everytime. :blink:

Brilliant.

Cheers

Dave

My car isn't listed, they have the last generation (05) Civic, not the new one. There is nothing 'standard' about the interior, i wouldn't risk getting any one in the hope it may work, I have attached a picture of a LHD car to show what i mean. I think i will just stick it to the screen when I want to use it...

civic_interior.jpg

That's no cacher's car! Where's the mud, bits of grass, pencil stubs, those shiny bits of paper off the back of plasters, empty bottles of wasp-eze etc etc? Or is it just me that drives around in a mobile bin? (No comments from The Mars Bars required here, thankyou very much! <_< )

Brodit website

BRODIT BRODIT BRODIT ....everytime. :blink:

Brilliant.

Cheers

Dave

civic_interior.jpg

That's no cacher's car! Where's the mud, bits of grass, pencil stubs, those shiny bits of paper off the back of plasters, empty bottles of wasp-eze etc etc? Or is it just me that drives around in a mobile bin? (No comments from The Mars Bars required here, thankyou very much! <_< )

To be honest, my car gets a thorough vac out at least once week, and the outside gets a thorough washing! I really do try to keep my cars as clean as possible, you never know who may want a lift...

The only bit that sees mud is the boot, but if i'm caching, I will put a sheet down in the boot so our muddy boots don't make the car messy. God, I sound really sad!

Can you take too much care of a car???