Tick Check TC

Waynelipp

I'm actually allergic to tick bites, they itch intensely to me, even worse than a mosquito bite. I hunted a cache last summer in a park that's about 30 miles or so from my home. On my way driving home both of my legs started itching like well.......badly enough I couldn't stand it any more, so I pulled over into some truck stop and got out to pull my jeans legs up. I couldn't see anything so I thought that maybe I walked through some poison ivy or something. Once I got home I got ready for a shower and I finally spotted all these tiny red dots on my legs! Baby ticks......I couldn't even tell you how many there were, but yes, they were ALL attached and feeding! It took me well over an hour to detick myself, and that itching lasted at least 3 weeks, I finally found relief by using deodorant on the bites. I even carry scars now from a few of the worst bites!

WolfWalker (who now uses repellent spray.........LOTS of it!)

It's routine for me to find a couple ticks on me after a woods hunt, but after exiting the woods Dixie Highway Waterfall, I found my legs were almost completely covered in tiny ticks. There must've been at least a thousand. :D Thankfully I had tucked my pants into my socks before putting on my boots. I shucked my britches by the side of the road, sprayed on a bunch of bug killer and stuffed them in a gallon ziplock. I can't imagine what the passersby were thinking. :blink:

We did a cache locally last weekend and when we came home everyone got a shower. After our showers, myself and 2 of the girls were literally covered in tiny ticks. We only knew they were ticks when they moved. It was horrible. Four others with us didn't have any ticks on them. I think myself and 2 of the girls must have walked through a nest along the way. I didn't sleep that night thinking they were still crawling on me. I itched for days. That was the worst experience ever.

I'm actually allergic to tick bites, they itch intensely to me, even worse than a mosquito bite. I hunted a cache last summer in a park that's about 30 miles or so from my home. On my way driving home both of my legs started itching like well.......badly enough I couldn't stand it any more, so I pulled over into some truck stop and got out to pull my jeans legs up. I couldn't see anything so I thought that maybe I walked through some poison ivy or something. Once I got home I got ready for a shower and I finally spotted all these tiny red dots on my legs! Baby ticks......I couldn't even tell you how many there were, but yes, they were ALL attached and feeding! It took me well over an hour to detick myself, and that itching lasted at least 3 weeks, I finally found relief by using deodorant on the bites. I even carry scars now from a few of the worst bites!

WolfWalker (who now uses repellent spray.........LOTS of it!)

I had the same thing happen to me last week after doing this cache (which is a straight bushwack, by design). This after several weeks on our local forums about how the area the cache is in "doesn't have ticks" :blink: After 5-6 showers and about half hour with some tweezers, I got all but 1 that I got the next morning. It looked like dirt after getting out of the shower... dirt that wouldn't scrub off. B) I still itch, got some Chigarid today which seems to help. Just over a week down though, if I got 2 more weeks of this itching I'm going to go nuts! :D

Be glad you mount a big local response to them... it seems from studies that you will have a less likely chance to get any disease from the ticks! My son gets the same reaction.

I've had about 80-100 nymhs on me about 3 times now. Takes a while to de-tick, but worth the time :blink: